2019-20 Syndication News

east-tx-tv

18 hours ago, froyo49 said:

A petition is going around demanding that Fox cancel TMZ on TV after they broke Kobe Bryant's death before the family was notified. I'm not sure why they aren't calling for WarnerMedia to cancel the show considering they're the ones who make and distribute it. I know Fox O&Os is TMZ's top station group, but there are dozens of other broadcast companies that would also have to cancel it. I guess people don't understand the nature of syndication. Also, if that were to happen, what would stop WarnerMedia from distributing it with the CW daytime, similar to Robert Irvine? 

As of 6:20pm et, the petition has 175,000 signatures and counting. It's growing extremely rapidly, considering they reached 100k at 5pm.

This is hardly the first time any kind of news organization has been the first bearer of bad news.  And just like before, there will be some kind of mea-culpa and look of backpedaling on being so quick on stories, then after a little while, it'll sadly be business-as-usual again in newsrooms to get that story, and want to get it first.

• Replies 899
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A petition is going around demanding that Fox cancel TMZ on TV after they broke Kobe Bryant's death before the family was notified. I'm not sure why they aren't calling for WarnerMedia to cancel the show considering they're the ones who make and distribute it. I know Fox O&Os is TMZ's top station group, but there are dozens of other broadcast companies that would also have to cancel it. I guess people don't understand the nature of syndication.

There are people who don't understand the difference between a syndicated and a network program, and the fact that some publications (like TV Guide) and entertainment news programs (like the syndicated Entertainment Tonight) occasionally misidentify syndicated programs by referring to the network of their primary station group don't help. (Recent TV Guide articles about The Kelly Clarkson Show and Jeopardy! - the latter of which confused its East Coast airtime on ABC O&Os WABC, WPVI and WTVD as being a network show that airs in the non-existent weeknight network slot of 7/6c, not in relation to its recent Greatest of All Time specials - are examples of this; NBC doesn't help by having a subpage of their website on Clarkson's talk show including full-length episodes, rather than putting them on a standalone site, like other syndicated shows such as ET, Jeopardy!, Wheel of Fortune and Family Feud have.)

A petition is going around demanding that Fox cancel TMZ on TV after they broke Kobe Bryant's death before the family was notified. I'm not sure why they aren't calling for WarnerMedia to cancel the show considering they're the ones who make and distribute it. I know Fox O&Os is TMZ's top station group, but there are dozens of other broadcast companies that would also have to cancel it. I guess people don't understand the nature of syndication.

They really don't. They like to reach for whatever easiest info about a show they can reach without actually doing deeper research. This isn't the first time too.

Fox shouldn't respond, and TMZ should send a quick apology and be done with it.

It's disheartening that the Bryant family had to hear the news they fear the most by THE tabloid site in this country, but I don't think it's (fully at least) their fault because they're just doing their job (no matter how questionable their quickness to publish their stories are). And this petition is ridiculous and overblown. TMZ will still be around and we'll forget this happened to begin with.

Not surprised that it was one and done for Mel Robbins show WXMI Fox17 could just put a double run of Steve Wilkos that is what Tribune did for many years before Mel Robbins. Maybe Scripps puts show they own in the 10AM & 10:30AM time slot Right This Minute & The List, a couple of weeks ago Fox17 aired RTM on the weekend late Sunday/early Monday for a full hour I didn't see it listed last weekend thinking maybe filler from time to time on the weekends as it hasn't been cleared for weekends once it left Fox17 in fall of 2016.

7 hours ago, Megatron81 said:

Not surprised that it was one and done for Mel Robbins show WXMI Fox17 could just put a double run of Steve Wilkos that is what Tribune did for many years before Mel Robbins. Maybe Scripps puts show they own in the 10AM & 10:30AM time slot Right This Minute & The List, a couple of weeks ago Fox17 aired RTM on the weekend late Sunday/early Monday for a full hour I didn't see it listed last weekend thinking maybe filler from time to time on the weekends as it hasn't been cleared for weekends once it left Fox17 in fall of 2016.

It didn’t have great clearance in Charlotte either, 9am on WAXN, just like Meredith Viera a few years back. Good time slot, but WSOC’s sister independent station is not the best place. But it’s been a little while since a station other than WSOC/WAXN and WJZY/WMYT has picked up a talk show in Charlotte and I don’t see that changing for a while unless plans change. WBTV has gone all local other than Funny You Should Ask at 1:37am. WCCB has had the trash talkers all day plus Ellen and the 700 Club for YEARS. WCNC has the Tegna produced Daily Blast Live and Judge Judy.

With Wheel/Jeopardy being so popular and tops in the ratings. How much does it cost for the rights for both those shows?  Games shows are usually cheaper to produce.  Found this article from 2 years ago.  Talking about ABC O&O paid 6 figures for the rights (NY& LA) until 2023.  FOX was lurking around for the show it states.  I do wonder with Scripps axing the two popular game show from their affiliates which by the way won their time period at WMAR, WEWS, WCPO. KNXV  I wonder how much other groups are willing to pay for the game show?  I do wonder if Scripps have buyers remorse, and would be interested in obtaining them.

Maybe part of the Jeopardy deal was to do the show in primetime? Maybe?

https://popculture.com/tv-shows/2018/11/05/abc-renew-jeopardy-wheel-of-fortune-contracts-big/

https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/wheel-of-fortune-jeopardy-abc-fox-cbs-1203019794/

3 hours ago, Breaking News said:

With Wheel/Jeopardy being so popular and tops in the ratings. How much does it cost for the rights for both those shows?  Games shows are usually cheaper to produce.  Found this article from 2 years ago.  Talking about ABC O&O paid 6 figures for the rights (NY& LA) until 2023.  FOX was lurking around for the show it states.  I do wonder with Scripps axing the two popular game show from their affiliates which by the way won their time period at WMAR, WEWS, WCPO. KNXV  I wonder how much other groups are willing to pay for the game show?  I do wonder if Scripps have buyers remorse, and would be interested in obtaining them.

Maybe part of the Jeopardy deal was to do the show in primetime? Maybe?

https://popculture.com/tv-shows/2018/11/05/abc-renew-jeopardy-wheel-of-fortune-contracts-big/

https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/wheel-of-fortune-jeopardy-abc-fox-cbs-1203019794/

In the Central and Mountain Time Zones it would've seemingly made sense for them to be on the Fox O&O’s...not sure how many already have a 6:00 newscast though. But I think most with 6:00 newscasts in those time zones are Big 3 affiliates.

It'll be interesting to see how much of a hit (if any) Jeopardy!'s ratings take when Alex steps down, and a little further down the line with WoF when Pat and Vanna call it a career (Pat is 73, and i suspect Vanna will also leave whenever he does).

5 hours ago, Breaking News said:

Found this article from 2 years ago.  Talking about ABC O&O paid 6 figures for the rights (NY& LA) until 2023.  FOX was lurking around for the show it states. 

From that Variety piece mentioned, Fox didn't just lurked, it outbided ABC for those shows.

The only reason why CBS didn't sign on with Fox for the shows is because they feared ratings would be way down if it aired on those stations. So they told ABC to pony up a few more change (even though it still didn't match Fox's massive offer).

Knowledgeable sources said that ABC was forced to step up its offer although they did not match the offer on the table for Fox. “Wheel” and “Jeopardy” are known to command low six-figure weekly license fees in New York and L.A., the two largest TV markets.

CBS Television Distribution, which has distributed “Wheel” and “Jeopardy” since CBS acquired King World Productions in 2000, likely calculated that the audience disruption caused by a move of the shows in top markets would not be worth the extra coin offered by Fox.

_____

CBS has protected ABC as the incumbent home of the shows, so much so that it never moved the highly rated shows to its own O&O stations. Sony Pictures Entertainment owns “Wheel” and “Jeopardy” (thanks it its purchase of the library of series creator Merv Griffin), and surely that studio might have objected to a station switch that could cost both shows many ratings points.

38 minutes ago, ScottJ said:

It'll be interesting to see how much of a hit (if any) Jeopardy!'s ratings take when Alex steps down, and a little further down the line with WoF when Pat and Vanna call it a career (Pat is 73, and i suspect Vanna will also leave whenever he does).

Pat gave an interview in December and said he'll call it a career in 2022 or 2023.

3 hours ago, Nelson R. said:

Here in Atlanta (and based on old schedules from the Journal-Constitution), Jeopardy has always aired at 7:30 and has long been #2 behind the venerable Entertainment Tonight (which has been on WSB since DAY ONE!)...though I think they finally beat them - and TMZ on WAGA - thanks to that James Holzhauer guy last year.

3 hours ago, Nelson R. said:

Jeopardy! has always been seen on WDIV/Detroit and WTOL/Toledo since day one of the Trebek version!...currently it airs on both stations at 7:30, but back in the 80's, WDIV aired Jeopardy! at 7:00, and WTOL aired it in daytime during it's first couple seasons on the air. For WDIV, Jeopardy! has long been the leading program in it's time period.

3 hours ago, johnnya2k6 said:

Here in Atlanta (and based on old schedules from the Journal-Constitution), Jeopardy has always aired at 7:30 and has long been #2 behind the venerable Entertainment Tonight (which has been on WSB since DAY ONE!)...though I think they finally beat them - and TMZ on WAGA - thanks to that James Holzhauer guy last year.

3 hours ago, DetroitTVNews said:

Jeopardy! has always been seen on WDIV/Detroit and WTOL/Toledo since day one of the Trebek version!...currently it airs on both stations at 7:30, but back in the 80's, WDIV aired Jeopardy! at 7:00, and WTOL aired it in daytime during it's first couple seasons on the air. For WDIV, Jeopardy! has long been the leading program in it's time period.

WBTV had both in Charlotte until 1990 when they moved to WSOC. Due to its hourlong 6:00 news and PM Magazine airing at 7:30, they aired at 5 and 5:30 on WBTV. Jeopardy at 5 and Wheel at 5:30 until about 1988, then they switched them. 

In retrospect WBTV probably made a mistake letting them go. WSOC made a bigger mistake picking them up. PM Magazine was also cancelled that year, and they started 5:00 news. But they still had hourlong news for a while longer. Wheel and Jeopardy would be replaced by A Current Affair and Inside Edition. Channel 9 put Wheel at 7:30, I believe it displaced ET to late nights because the time it too had hourlong 6:00 news, forcing them to air Peter Jennings at 7. So Jeopardy aired on WSOC in the mornings. When they finally discontinued the hourlong news, ET moved to 7. WCNC picked Jeopardy up after a few years and put it at 7 and it has stayed there ever since. It also has had some afternoon runs on there. Wheel joined them on WCNC a few years later. WSOC picked up Inside Edition from WBTV in 1995 and put it at 7, returning ET to its rightful place at 7:30. And that hasn’t changed since. I don’t think Wheel or Jeopardy did very well on WSOC. WCNC should have picked both shows up from WBTV in 1990 if WBTV wasn’t going to hang on to them, they would have aired both in access, though granted their news operation had just gotten relaunched a few years earlier. I think they have probably done well on WCNC though. It’s hard to believe that Charlotte did not have both shows airing in prime access until WCNC picked up Wheel of Fortune in the mid 1990s. 

17 hours ago, Breaking News said:

I do wonder with Scripps axing the two popular game show from their affiliates which by the way won their time period at WMAR, WEWS, WCPO. KNXV  I wonder how much other groups are willing to pay for the game show?  I do wonder if Scripps have buyers remorse, and would be interested in obtaining them.

My question is how WoF and J! are doing on their new stations (WOIO, KDVR, WBFF, etc.).

• 3 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, Glimmer said:

WCNC could expand its noon news back to an hour, and could add another run of Jeopardy at 3 or 3:30 but not sure what it would do with the other half hour if it doesn’t pick up “Judy Justice.” I would actually put the other run of Jeopardy at 12:30 and look for a replacement show at 3. (If not the rerun package)

10 minutes ago, TSSZNews said:

I sense a LOT of 4PM and 7PM newscasts on the air in fall 2021...

Given the numbers and popularity, I wouldn’t be shocked if a lot of stations stuck with the rerun package for a season or two

Based on the HR article, it looks like CBSTD is going to pull a "Jerry Springer" and simply offer reruns instead of new episodes once the originals end. If stations are pleased with JJ performance, why would they ditch the reruns? 

39 minutes ago, Glimmer said:

Wow. That is huge and completely out of left field. Didn't see that coming at all. It wouldn't be a complete shock to see WPXI enter the 4pm news race here in the Burgh, but it also wouldn't surprise me if they replaced it with something else. Maybe her new show. But we shall see...

12 minutes ago, TSSZNews said:

A 7pm newscast might be a possibility for WNCN which airs Judge Judy at 7 and 7:30.

I definitely think WAGA will stick with the rerun package, given that they are just now adding a 4:30 newscast, shifting their double run of Judy to 3:30 and 4. 

44 minutes ago, TSSZNews said:

I don't think everybody will add newscasts to replace Judge Judy (I will say some stations will) if anything the stations that currently air Judge Judy may pick up Shiendlin's new show to replace the outgoing court show.

P.S. This should be in it's own thread.

As I'm sure many are right now, I was genuinely shocked at the news.

While I'm sure her workload for the existing show is enormous, I wonder why they didn't try scaling back the # of episodes produced each season and have the spin off running concurrently.

And I'll second @oknewsguy's opinion that this needs its own thread.

Archived