2019-20 Syndication News

east-tx-tv

7 hours ago, DetroitTVNews said:

Detroit

WWJ will pick up 25 Words or Less in the 9 AM hour, displacing Dr. Oz to the 4 PM hour, replacing Face the Truth. The WWTBAM/Family Feud hour at 3 PM will be replaced with infomercials.

WWJ has to be one of the WORST run TV stations in the country. Especially for a major network O&O in a major market. Wouldn't be shocked if Viacom gets serious with its Detroit cluster once they takeover, because I can guarantee you Viacom isn't going to be comfortable with running essentially two independent stations. They will have to really try hard with creating a credible news product that is sustainable. (I know, they may have failed a couple of times in the past, but still...)

• Replies 899
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, SS8609 said:

WWJ has to be one of the WORST run TV stations in the country. Especially for a major network O&O in a major market. Wouldn't be shocked if Viacom gets serious with its Detroit cluster once they takeover, because I can guarantee you Viacom isn't going to be comfortable with running essentially two independent stations. They will have to really try hard with creating a credible news product that is sustainable. (I know, they may have failed a couple of times in the past, but still...)

How do we know it's the worst run station in the country? Are the books for the station available? If CBS Detroit is profitable, or if it's operating at a small loss, in a market where they feel that in 2019 a 4th television news operation isn't viable, then there's no problem here.

29 minutes ago, SS8609 said:

They couldn't get an 11pm newscast to work under the original Viacom.

WWJ is a station with an embarrassing channel number in a market where people are loyal to 2, 4 or 7... and a market that's suffered mightily economically, no less. They have little to no overhead, so it's still profitable.

18 minutes ago, SS8609 said:

I'm sorry to say this but I don't think Viacom is going to do anything with TV-62, post-remerger. They're going to invest most of their time on its cable networks and digital over-the-top services (CBS All Access, Pluto TV, etc.) What's the use for them to blowing all their money on a news operation no one is going to watch? That's burning money. TV stations are there to make money, not lose money. As mentioned above, they tried an 11pm-cast almost two decades ago and failed. What makes you think it'll be any different if they do it all over again?

For the week starting on the 9th KSHB has Right This Minute at 2pm to 3pm,KMCI 5pm to 6pm. Last Man Standing and Black-ish swap times. Justice for All with Judge Cristina Perez 4pn new not repeat then the List.

https://www.kshb.com/entertainment/38-the-spot-kmci/kmci-tv-listing

2PM TMZ and 2:30PM Access new but Mel Robbins on 16.

https://fox4kc.com/on-air/fox-4-program-schedule/

For the week starting on the 9th KSHB has Right This Minute at 2pm to 3pm,KMCI 5pm to 6pm. Last Man Standing and Black-ish swap times. Justice for All with Judge Cristina Perez 4pn new not repeat then the List.

https://www.kshb.com/entertainment/38-the-spot-kmci/kmci-tv-listing

2PM TMZ and 2:30PM Access new but Mel Robbins on 16.

https://fox4kc.com/on-air/fox-4-program-schedule/

Since TitanTV now has a schedule up for 9/9, here's Tulsa. Subject to change of course.

KOTV: No change. ExtraExtra is likely staying at 1:35a after B&B.

UPDATE 8/31: As expected, it will stay at 1:35a.

KQCW: No change. Since KOTV launched its' 4pm news earlier this month, the hour block of Millionaire has been airing here at 1pm, replacing Paternity Court. Still not sure what is going to replace that, but Titan is listing that this stays on 9/9.

UPDATE 8/31: True Crime Files will take over the 1pm slot.

UPDATE 9/9: Protection Court at 4:30a, replacing Pawn Stars. Personal Injury Court at 1:30a, replacing Friends, which is moving to an hour on early Sundays at Midnight, replacing a block of black-ish.

KTUL: Since earlier this month, channel 8 has burned off the cancelled Steve at 1:35a before WNN. In its' place at 3pm has been Funny You Should Ask (which the latter half of Steve has replaced) and an early repeat run of Jeopardy. Titan lists this lineup as staying put on 9/9.

UPDATE 9/4: America Says starts 9/16 at 3pm, moving Funny You Should Ask back to 2:05a.

UPDATE 9/9: Game Time with Boomer Esiason starts 9/14 at 2:35a.

KJRH: As mentioned previously in this thread, Kelly Clarkson will replace Pickler & Ben at 3pm.

UPDATE 8/31: Looks like the 1:05a Today 4th Hour repeat will be replaced with a repeat of Clarkson.

UPDATE 9/4: 25 Words or Less starts 9/16 at 2pm, leaving RTM to just one weekday airing at 2:30p.

KOKI: 1pm is listed as TBA, but I know from promos that Tamron Hall is going to 2pm. Titan still lists DMTV and PageSix TV at 2pm, but obviously that is changing.

UPDATE 8/31: DMTV at 1pm, Xploration Station shows at 1:30p

KMYT: Titan currently doesn't list the announced (and heavily promoted) changes I mentioned in the thread, Judge Jerry debuts at noon replacing Divorce Court. Mel Robbins at 4pm, replacing a second airing of Wilkos.

UPDATE 8/31: Noticed a TBA at Midnight on 9/10, which could mean The Cleveland Show could be dropped, perhaps with the now-nightly Bob's Burgers?

UPDATE 9/9: Yup, Bob's Burgers at Midnight.

Not sure if anyone else caught this (or if it would be better suited to post in the Gray thread), but Full Court Press with Greta has stations and airtimes on its website. It shows 11:35AM Sunday for WMC in Memphis, but based on current listings, it must mean 11:35PM, as it's slated to air after the newscast following Sunday Night Football. I doubt that will be a permanent slot, either. Curious how affiliates will work around Sunday morning newscasts, network politics shows, E/I, and afternoon sports with this program.

12 minutes ago, memnews said:

Not sure if anyone else caught this (or if it would be better suited to post in the Gray thread), but Full Court Press with Greta has stations and airtimes on its website. It shows 11:35AM Sunday for WMC in Memphis, but based on current listings, it must mean 11:35PM, as it's slated to air after the newscast following Sunday Night Football. I doubt that will be a permanent slot, either. Curious how affiliates will work around Sunday morning newscasts, network politics shows, E/I, and afternoon sports with this program.

KPNX in Phoenix is airing Full Court Press at 4am Sunday morning. A somewhat better time than what they give Matter of Fact with Soledad O'Brien (which airs 1:30-2am Sunday and Monday mornings).

TV Passport for KCWE on 9th at 9am Caught in Providence no home not Cityline no home but 25 Words or Less on 16 on and Judge Judy at 11am if so then Judge Jerry just on at 3pm and it still shows Springer and maybe FOX4KC Newscast or America Says 4pm.. Bob Burger 12am KMCI.

7 hours ago, ColtFromGulfcoast said:

Remember when I said WOAI picked up Tamron Hall?

Yeah, she'll be on KABB.........at 2:00am. They gave Kelly Clarkson the 4:00pm timeslot where Steve was, though. 

Stupid move. Tamron is from Luling, which is about an hour from San Antonio. She is a former Watermelon Thump queen -- Google it ... it's a big local festival -- and regularly returns. A missed opportunity. Although, given WOAI's past track record, not surprising ...

1 hour ago, TVIntheDesert said:

KPNX in Phoenix is airing Full Court Press at 4am Sunday morning. A somewhat better time than what they give Matter of Fact with Soledad O'Brien (which airs 1:30-2am Sunday and Monday mornings).

A bit surprising re: KPNX, since as far as I can tell it's the first Tegna station to pick up Full Court Press. Then again, neither Meredith nor Scripps have really picked it up for many stations either (Hearst has quite a few with it, so does Nexstar). 

7 minutes ago, Greggo said:

Stupid move. Tamron is from Luling, which is about an hour from San Antonio. She is a former Watermelon Thump queen -- Google it ... it's a big local festival -- and regularly returns. A missed opportunity. Although, given WOAI's past track record, not surprising ...

Yep. And that's part of the DMA as well. If she comes back for a second season, I would hope KCWX, if they can afford her, would be able to steal the show away. I feel like she has the power to come back for a second round, as will Kelly Clarkson. 

43 minutes ago, ColtFromGulfcoast said:

Yep. And that's part of the DMA as well. If she comes back for a second season, I would hope KCWX, if they can afford her, would be able to steal the show away. I feel like she has the power to come back for a second round, as will Kelly Clarkson. 

Luling is in Caldwell county, which is actually part of the Austin DMA

2 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

I guess nobody in Miami/Fort Lauderdale wants Tamron Hall.

51 minutes ago, nbc4ne said:

I mean, Seriously, Miami? Do you Really have a problem with Tamron having Any Presence in Miami at All?

PLG doesn't want to give up one of their over-saturated news timeslots (9am or 3pm) to clear the program? That's pitiful.

Giving up one of those hours wouldn't hurt.

26 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

PLG doesn't want to give up one of their over-saturated news timeslots (9am or 3pm) to clear the program? That's pitiful.

I'd agree.  It wouldn't hurt WPLG to sacrifice one of their newscasts.  Unless WPLG and its parent company BH Media have a similar dilemma like KSNV's former parent company Intermountain West Communications (predated Sinclair acquisition) did a few years ago, when their local news and local programming expansion went nowhere or was short-lived.

I could see WPLG put Live with Kelly & Ryan back on at 9AM, and put Tamron Hall on at 10AM, and them keep 3PM newscast. 

19 minutes ago, atlnewsfan03 said:

I'd agree.  It wouldn't hurt WPLG to sacrifice one of their newscasts.  Unless WPLG and its parent company BH Media have a similar dilemma like KSNV's former parent company Intermountain West Communications (predated Sinclair acquisition) did a few years ago, when their local news and local programming expansion went nowhere or was short-lived.

I could see WPLG put Live with Kelly & Ryan back on at 9AM, and put Tamron Hall on at 10AM, and them keep 3PM newscast. 

Stations get to keep ALL the revenue from local newscasts. Not really sure why some of you continue to rant against local news without realizing why stations pick it over paying for syndicated shows that in many cases wind up flopping ... i.e. Katie Couric's syndie show and countless others.

48 minutes ago, cbs4dallas said:

Luling is in Caldwell county, which is actually part of the Austin DMA

Technically, it's in the Austin DMA, but it's just about exactly the same distance from Luling to the San Antonio transmitters as it is the Austin ones, and you can pick up both cities' stations over the air. Because San Antonio has historically been a much bigger city and Luling sits on I-10, I'd say it's tied a little bit more closely to San Antonio than Austin.

The line between San Antonio and Austin has generally been pretty fuzzy anyway. All of the Austin stations claim Gillespie County despite it being in the San Antonio DMA, and at least some of the San Antonio stations claim the southern fringes of the Austin DMA. And then there's KCWX, which was Austin's UPN affiliate before becoming San Antonio's CW affiliate from the same transmitter.

3 hours ago, Greggo said:

Actually, Luling is in Caldwell County which is part of the Austin market. Yes, it's pretty darned close to Seguin and New Braunfels, but Caldwell is right next to Bastrop and Hays counties which are home to growing suburbs of Austin filled with tech managers. KEYE will have her on at 4:00 pm.

46 minutes ago, Greggo said:

Stations get to keep ALL the revenue from local newscasts. Not really sure why some of you continue to rant against local news without realizing why stations pick it over paying for syndicated shows that in many cases wind up flopping ... i.e. Katie Couric's syndie show and countless others.

Why not go all local news outside of network programming then? It’s not as simple as you make it seem. 

1 hour ago, CircleSeven said:

1 hour ago, atlnewsfan03 said:

I'm not sure about 9AM but their 3PM news is actually successful. Might as well give up 9AM for Tamron Hall at 10AM.

Archived