2019-20 Syndication News

east-tx-tv

• Replies 899
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, mvcg66b3r said:

Maybe they have low expectations for the show.

I'm kind of thinking that too.  My thinking is Kelly Clarkson lasts for only 1 season.

Other new syndicated shows, I'd give Judge Jerry 1 or 2 seasons.  Not sure about Mel Robbins.  I could see 25 Words Or Less having staying power, along with Tamron Hall.

Local stations also have the option of expanding local programming, whether it be adding a new newscast or 2, or adding a advertorial (pay-to-play) type show, or station parent companies experiment with groupwide programming.  We'll see what 2019-20 season will look like as it rolls along.

48 minutes ago, atlnewsfan03 said:

I'm kind of thinking that too.  My thinking is Kelly Clarkson lasts for only 1 season.

Other new syndicated shows, I'd give Judge Jerry 1 or 2 seasons.  Not sure about Mel Robbins.  I could see 25 Words Or Less having staying power, along with Tamron Hall.

Local stations also have the option of expanding local programming, whether it be adding a new newscast or 2, or adding a advertorial (pay-to-play) type show, or station parent companies experiment with groupwide programming.  We'll see what 2019-20 season will look like as it rolls along.

Tamron Hall will be a one-and-done (maybe two, since that's how many Disney/ABC gave Katie Couric). I just find that it's risky to launch syndicated talk franchises in this day in age. 

2 hours ago, ColtFromGulfcoast said:

Cox, first Atlanta and now this. What is with y'all? SMH.

2 hours ago, mvcg66b3r said:

Maybe they have low expectations for the show.

I think Cox Media Group (of all places) determines whether the show or not will be sucessful or not, unfortunately for Kelly the fact that not one but, two stations owned by Cox has buried her show to an overnight slot tells me that her show isn't going to be on Television for the long haul.

It's a sad reality but, it is what it is.

3 hours ago, Glimmer said:

This is going to make Access even more of a non-factor in Milwaukee; the main show airs at 4am on WITI, and the Live annex is on at 2pm on WVTV-DT (the old WCGV), which means by the time it airs, the news will have been 9-21 years old (and an absolute clown show for the extremely delayed Friday edition that currently has 70 hour old entertainment news and weekend show plugs that are wasted breaths)...and I doubt the timelot issues have been addressed with the change in hosts in other markets (they've basically screwed over their non-NBC affiliates that aired Live specifically because it was Live). One season with Mario and NBC will finally put this mess out of its misery, hopefully.

3 minutes ago, mrschimpf said:

This is going to make Access even more of a non-factor in Milwaukee; the main show airs at 4am on WITI, and the Live annex is on at 2pm on WVTV-DT (the old WCGV), which means by the time it airs, the news will have been 9-21 years old (and an absolute clown show for the extremely delayed Friday edition that currently has 70 hour old entertainment news and weekend show plugs that are wasted breaths)...and I doubt the timelot issues have been addressed with the change in hosts in other markets (they've basically screwed over their non-NBC affiliates that aired Live specifically because it was Live). One season with Mario and NBC will finally put this mess out of its misery, hopefully.

There's enough affiliates out there, particularly in the central time zone, that run Access before the evening news that you think there'd be another feed. We'll see. Here in Topeka, it's moving into the old Millionaire spot at 2:30p, after Inside Edition (which is that day's version).

KNSD (NBC San Diego) doesn't even air Access Hollywood, they only air the 1-hr daytime show. None of the of the other affiliates picked the show up. I'm a little surprised that NBC didn't mandate them to air Access Hollywood, though it's most likely because they also air the Wheel and Jeopardy and lack programming real estate. 

2 hours ago, tvtime07 said:

KNSD (NBC San Diego) doesn't even air Access Hollywood, they only air the 1-hr daytime show. None of the of the other affiliates picked the show up. I'm a little surprised that NBC didn't mandate them to air Access Hollywood, though it's most likely because they also air the Wheel and Jeopardy and lack programming real estate. 

They do air it, albeit at 2:30am.

8 hours ago, ColtFromGulfcoast said:

Cox, first Atlanta and now this. What is with y'all? SMH.

If i'm not mistaken, WSB aired Meredith Vieira show around 2am so maybe they're the indicator on what succeeds or not since both WSB + WPXI placed Kelly clarkson show late night or it's just coincidence. And Atlanta + Pittsburgh are no small okie-dokie towns either but I digress. At the end of the day, yes it's risky to launch a talk show these days, but if you have the money + talent to test, you have gravitas to pull the trigger + see what happens next. Tamron Hall has potential to halt the curse of short lived corpses, but coming from Disney-ABC, since Katie, that remains to be seen. Ditto on Kelly.

Re: "All Access" the new Access Half hour show, this feels rushed, no? The description detailing the human interest + crime stories + headlines felt like it was the launch of another tabloid news show. Rather than launching 7pm news in some O&O markets, that idea detailed above probably passed to those at Access + they ran away it, so...

15 hours ago, TVNewsLover said:

They do air it, albeit at 2:30am.

Oh, I didn't realize that. 

15 hours ago, justin2kx said:

Re: "All Access" the new Access Half hour show, this feels rushed, no? The description detailing the human interest + crime stories + headlines felt like it was the launch of another tabloid news show. Rather than launching 7pm news in some O&O markets, that idea detailed above probably passed to those at Access + they ran away it, so...

It does feel rushed I'd say bit it's incredibly synergistic. This rebranding of titles will certainly confuse people. "Access Hollywood Live" is now "Access Daily, "Access Hollywood" was rebranded as simply as "Access" a few years ago and now will now revert back to their original title and will go live, and now there's another spinoff called "All Access"....what's next, are they merging with "CBS All Access"?

Tabloid news shows work, just ask "Inside Edition" which is still up and running with it's cheesy sound effects and watchable investigative stories, the show is an institution for CBS TV Distribution.  Not sure if All Access will work out since there's a gluttony of similar shows out there, the "ET"/"Insider" fun hour didn't work in the long run and pretty much became separate entities, so I have doubts about this new show, there's going to be an excess of Access on some NBC O&O stations, two hours worth daily!

21 hours ago, TVIntheDesert said:

Tamron Hall will be a one-and-done (maybe two, since that's how many Disney/ABC gave Katie Couric). I just find that it's risky to launch syndicated talk franchises in this day in age. 

21 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

Disney/ABC has had rotten luck overall with talk shows outside of Live. Tamron Hall could very well suffer a similar fate.

It's called "track record".

Only a select few syndicated talk shows have staying power.  Days of Phil Donahue, Oprah Winfrey, Sally Jessy Raphael, and Montel Williams are long gone.  Maury Povich and Jerry Springer's talk shows could be on their last legs if they haven't already been officially canceled.  So far, Dr. Phil, Dr. Oz, Ellen DeGeneres, and Rachael Ray are still around.  Plus plenty of the courtroom shows, game shows, and newsmagazine shows (including daytime spin-offs).

If Fox decides to commit to Jerry O'Connell for the 2020-21 season, it's possible we could see either The Real or Wendy Williams or possibly both getting axed after the 2019-20 season.

If Tamron Hall lasts 1 or 2 seasons, hopefully ABC would be smart to keep her for their news division, if they'd like to have her for prime-time specials, or certain news events, and so on.

1 hour ago, atlnewsfan03 said:

Only a select few syndicated talk shows have staying power.  Days of Phil Donahue, Oprah Winfrey, Sally Jessy Raphael, and Montel Williams are long gone.  Maury Povich and Jerry Springer's talk shows could be on their last legs if they haven't already been officially canceled.  So far, Dr. Phil, Dr. Oz, Ellen DeGeneres, and Rachael Ray are still around.  Plus plenty of the courtroom shows, game shows, and newsmagazine shows (including daytime spin-offs).

It's an interesting discussion, are they actually long gone or are heads of tv programming not even trying anymore? Broadcast still has the potential to attract eyeballs, just reference back to the premiere of the "Roseanne" revival, people came to see the show and the sitcom revival actually did something that surprised network execs in this day and age, the premiere average a 5.1 rating in the key demo and attracted 18.1 million viewers, and although the sitcom did slide down on the ratings scale by their season finale, it still showed respectable ratings; if Roseanne didn't make a fool of herself on Twitter, she and her show could have taken the most watched comedy title from Big Bang Theory this coming season. People will watch if they feel like it's worthwhile.  

Personally, syndicated programming execs just got too lazy and have created cookie-cutter programming whether the genre is court, talk, or even gameshows.  You  also can't just plug-in a well known personality into a talkshow and think it's going to work. There's elements that need to come together that needs to resonate with the audience. Entertainment shows aren't doing as well as they used to because of social media and how the audience have consumed celebrity pop culture has changed so much since the 80s. At the same time, affiliates have created a plethora of their "own shows" by creating bland content that features viral videos, social media shares, "how-to" segments and lame small talk and think that that is enough. They threw out being innovative and thinking outside the box and unfortunately this have subsided into the thinking that no one watches daytime. Can you really blame the viewer for not watching a poor product? 

1 hour ago, atlnewsfan03 said:

Maury Povich and Jerry Springer's talk shows could be on their last legs if they haven't already been officially canceled.

Jerry Springer is already cancelled -- It's in rerun mode at this point. Maury looks like he wants a few more years at most.

18 minutes ago, Action Newsroom said:

Jerry Springer is already cancelled -- It's in rerun mode at this point. Maury looks like he wants a few more years at most.

Can't blame Maury. He pretty much does the same show each day and most likely makes good money.

13 minutes ago, tvtime07 said:

Can't blame Maury. He pretty much does the same show each day and most likely makes good money.

NBC just doesn't want to get rid of those valuable tex credits and college/millenial ad dollars!

3 hours ago, hmaxhanson said:

NBC just doesn't want to get rid of those valuable tex credits and college/millenial ad dollars!

Yes, the ad dollars coming from these questionable for-profit colleges that places many graduates more in debt and causes more financial and economic strain for our country? Yes, this is America, land of on-air paternity tests!

36 minutes ago, tvtime07 said:

Yes, the ad dollars coming for these questionable for-profit colleges that places many graduates more in debt and causes more financial and economic strain for our country? Yes, this is America, land of on-air paternity tests!

That would be "WXXX, Butt-Eff Nowhere's CW" mostly getting the lawyer and for-profit college moola. Maury still pulls in ratings and NBC likely gets a shared cut of the Maury ad money.

13 hours ago, NEOMatrix said:

That would be "WXXX, Butt-Eff Nowhere's CW" mostly getting the lawyer and for-profit college moola. Maury still pulls in ratings and NBC likely gets a shared cut of the Maury ad money.

I don't see many college ads running on any of NBCU's Trashy Three (ahem, Two) anymore these days. Just lawyer commercials. 

Maury, like Springer and, to a lesser extent, Wilkos, has name recognition and has pretty much been ingrained in American pop culture.

1 hour ago, Georgie56 said:

I don't see many college ads running on any of NBCU's Trashy Three (ahem, Two) anymore these days. Just lawyer commercials. 

Didn't a lot of the colleges that did advertise on them shut down during Obama's second term when the Education Department went hard after them?

21 minutes ago, scrabbleship said:

Didn't a lot of the colleges that did advertise on them shut down during Obama's second term when the Education Department went hard after them?

Everest College (a landmark advertiser on Maury) shut down in 2015 due to bankruptcy.

19 hours ago, tvtime07 said:

Personally, syndicated programming execs just got too lazy and have created cookie-cutter programming whether the genre is court, talk, or even gameshows.  You  also can't just plug-in a well known personality into a talkshow and think it's going to work. There's elements that need to come together that needs to resonate with the audience. Entertainment shows aren't doing as well as they used to because of social media and how the audience have consumed celebrity pop culture has changed so much since the 80s. At the same time, affiliates have created a plethora of their "own shows" by creating bland content that features viral videos, social media shares, "how-to" segments and lame small talk and think that that is enough. They threw out being innovative and thinking outside the box and unfortunately this have subsided into the thinking that no one watches daytime. Can you really blame the viewer for not watching a poor product? 

Also, it's worth noting that since the famous backlash on "trash talk" shows in the mid-'90s (e.g., Springer, Ricki Lake, Jenny Jones, Maury, etc.), very few relationship-oriented/single topic/conflict shows have aired on network affiliates since then; mostly they've been relegated to Fox/CW/MyNetworkTV stations. The only notable successful exception is Dr. Phil, which I think raised the bar in terms of guest selection, production, topic direction, etc., even though there are a few notable guests who have fallen through the cracks, so to speak, over the years....

Archived