2019-20 Syndication News

east-tx-tv

4 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

With direct competition with ET & Wheel, I personally don't see NBC moving Access Hollywood away from its 7:30pm timeslot, since they've been there for so long,. With that said, NBC should've announced its post-Extra plans by now, since we're getting closer to the new fall season.

I think if anything, they'll try a newscast, it's the path of least resistance and at least in the Northeast it would be a time period where they have no competition. Looking at the six O&O markets where Extra currently airs at 7:00 and what OTA news competition they would have at that hour:

NYC: Nothing

LA: KDOC (via KABC)

Philadelphia: Nothing

Bay Area: KPIX, KICU (via KTVU)

Miami: WFOR

Connecticut: Nothing

Lack of syndicated programming for a midseason launch aside, I don't think that NBC launching WBTS with a 7:00 was an accident. I think they did it as a litmus test to see if a 7:00 newscast would fly with the other coastal O&O's. The only market of these six I have some cynicism about it working would be the Bay Area as they already have two on at that time but that 7:00 would easily hold its own against Inside Edition and Jeopardy! in NYC/Philly/CT. 

• Replies 899
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, scrabbleship said:

I think if anything, they'll try a newscast, it's the path of least resistance and at least in the Northeast it would be a time period where they have no competition. Looking at the six O&O markets where Extra currently airs at 7:00 and what OTA news competition they would have at that hour:

NYC: Nothing

LA: KDOC (via KABC)

Philadelphia: Nothing

Bay Area: KPIX, KICU (via KTVU)

Miami: WFOR

Connecticut: Nothing

Lack of syndicated programming for a midseason launch aside, I don't think that NBC launching WBTS with a 7:00 was an accident. I think they did it as a litmus test to see if a 7:00 newscast would fly with the other coastal O&O's. The only market of these six I have some cynicism about it working would be the Bay Area as they already have two on at that time but that 7:00 would easily hold its own against Inside Edition and Jeopardy! in NYC/Philly/CT. 

I don't think it will happen in Miami unless WBFS or WSFL takes Extra Extra. WSVN is not breaking up their Inside Edition-Deco Drive hour, nor will WPLG break up their WOF-J! hour.

1 hour ago, ColtFromGulfcoast said:

KLAS is gonna be one of the stations airing Mel Robbins this fall.

WNOL in New Orleans will also be airing the show at noon starting in September...

1 hour ago, J1975am said:

WNOL in New Orleans will also be airing the show at noon starting in September...

They are Tribune/Nexstar so I was expecting either them or WGNO to get it.

I would guess that for Shreveport, it'd be on KTAL or KSHV. As for San Antonio, I really don't know but I think either KCWX or KABB would take it.

On 7/18/2019 at 4:44 PM, TheRolyPoly said:

I don't think it will happen in Miami unless WBFS or WSFL takes Extra Extra. WSVN is not breaking up their Inside Edition-Deco Drive hour, nor will WPLG break up their WOF-J! hour.

WTVJ is losing Extra regardless. The whole group is moving on from the show.

14 minutes ago, scrabbleship said:

WTVJ is losing Extra regardless. The whole group is moving on from the show.

Exactly. But my point is that neither WSVN, nor WPLG will take it. Neither will WFOR with CBS' Entertainment Tonight. The only options for the show to be shipped is WBFS or WSFL.

Extra is not the same from what it used to be, especially since it was an actual newsmagazine with WBTV's Maureen O'Boyle.

As far as Houston is concerned, here's what I think will happen, if not have confirmed already:

* The Kelly Clarkson Show will be on KRIV at 3p, taking the place of Steve Harvey's ill-fated show. Easy call since her show effectively castrated (and replaced) his.

Tamron Hall will be on KTRK, and with WWTBAM? gone I'm assuming 1p is the show's landing spot (Live! airs at 9am, and I don't see channel 13 dropping its 3pm news anytime soon). The only question is where does Jeopardy! go? My guess will be 3:30p, and with Extra possibly moving to KRIV (since they're moving to Fox O&Os and becoming Extra Extra), this could provide an opening for KPRC to go after Inside Edition at 4:30 in place of Extra. It would be a win-win situation since it puts Jeopardy! back in an appropriate early evening timeslot on an ABC O&O (and thereby keeping SPT happy since they almost took the game shows to Fox I'm told), while KPRC not only gets a solid replacement for Extra but also gets to easily fill the Saturday 6:30p slot, now filled with (oh the horror!) infomercials, with the weekend broadcast of Inside Edition.

* I'm not too sure where The Mel Robbins Show will land in Houston, but given Tribune is helping launch the show with SPT, it's safe to say KIAH will carry the show in a midday timeslot, and likely in lieu of Maury at 1 (the same episode currently airs twice with a second run at 4). KIAH will also likely be carrying Judge Jerry, which would be unsurprising since most of his new show's affiliates used to carry his "Trash TV" talk show (of the groups announced as picking up his show only Tribune has a Houston presence).

* Not certain where 25 Words or Less, America Says or Personal Injury Court will wind up in the Bayou City. Wouldn't be shocked if these shows wound up on KUBE or KTXH since KRIV will be busy with Modern Family reruns and second-rate tabloid news shows.

This is all I know but I could be wrong. Comments greatly appreciated! 😉

P.S. Family Feud on the NBC O&Os might actually work...didn't they used to air Richard Dawson's syndicated run around the same time as his ABC daytime run?

16 hours ago, SS8609 said:

As far as Houston is concerned, here's what I think will happen, if not have confirmed already:

* The Kelly Clarkson Show will be on KRIV at 3p, taking the place of Steve Harvey's ill-fated show. Easy call since her show effectively castrated (and replaced) his.

Tamron Hall will be on KTRK, and with WWTBAM? gone I'm assuming 1p is the show's landing spot (Live! airs at 9am, and I don't see channel 13 dropping its 3pm news anytime soon). The only question is where does Jeopardy! go? My guess will be 3:30p, and with Extra possibly moving to KRIV (since they're moving to Fox O&Os and becoming Extra Extra), this could provide an opening for KPRC to go after Inside Edition at 4:30 in place of Extra. It would be a win-win situation since it puts Jeopardy! back in an appropriate early evening timeslot on an ABC O&O (and thereby keeping SPT happy since they almost took the game shows to Fox I'm told), while KPRC not only gets a solid replacement for Extra but also gets to easily fill the Saturday 6:30p slot, now filled with (oh the horror!) infomercials, with the weekend broadcast of Inside Edition.

* I'm not too sure where The Mel Robbins Show will land in Houston, but given Tribune is helping launch the show with SPT, it's safe to say KIAH will carry the show in a midday timeslot, and likely in lieu of Maury at 1 (the same episode currently airs twice with a second run at 4). KIAH will also likely be carrying Judge Jerry, which would be unsurprising since most of his new show's affiliates used to carry his "Trash TV" talk show (of the groups announced as picking up his show only Tribune has a Houston presence).

* Not certain where 25 Words or Less, America Says or Personal Injury Court will wind up in the Bayou City. Wouldn't be shocked if these shows wound up on KUBE or KTXH since KRIV will be busy with Modern Family reruns and second-rate tabloid news shows.

P.S. Family Feud on the NBC O&Os might actually work...didn't they used to air Richard Dawson's syndicated run around the same time as his ABC daytime run?

Hasn't "25 Words" been sold to FOX O&Os?

19 hours ago, SS8609 said:

KPRC actually had Inside Edition at 4:30 before it moved to KTRK. Would be interesting to see it return. Honestly tho, KPRC should just go back to airing an hour of news at 4. That’s what KHOU and KTRK do. 

On 7/23/2019 at 6:33 PM, TVIntheDesert said:

Hasn't "25 Words" been sold to FOX O&Os?

Yes, but it's not certain which stations will carry it, especially if there's a duopoly involved. In my case (Houston), it could go on either KRIV or KTXH, most likely the latter since KRIV will be loaded with the infotainment shows and Modern Family reruns (which IMHO should go to KTXH paired with The Big Bang Theory). KTXH already airs Family Feud for two hours in access and in the first primetime hour (7P), with MyNetworkTV now pushed into the 8-10P slot. And that's another thing...Personally, MyNetworkTV should be moved to late nights since it's not technically a network anymore and is simply a rerun block.

4 hours ago, DENDude said:

Question: where is Judge Jerry going to end up in Denver?   (KWGN, KTVD, or KCDO?)  I can't seem to find a listing for what stations are carrying his new program.

Tribune signed a deal for it so conventional wisdom would say KWGN.

I'm a bit intrigued in where it ends up in Boston. It would be the perfect fit for WLVI but with a few exceptions WSBK has the judge genre on lock.

Mel Robbins is coming to WJW in September, and will air at 11am on weekdays, taking over Dr. Oz's timeslot.  That now explains his move to WBNX.  Plus, I saw a promo for Mel on Fox 8 earlier.

34 minutes ago, DetroitTVNews said:

I was incorrect about what I said before. Kelly Clarkson is coming to WXYZ in September.

So 7 is getting both Tamron Hall & Kelly Clarkson. That would likely bump The Doctors over to TV 20.

The question would be which timeslots (10am & 3pm) these new shows will they occupy?

29 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

So 7 is getting both Tamron Hall & Kelly Clarkson. That would likely bump The Doctors over to TV 20.

The question would be which timeslots (10am & 3pm) these new shows will they occupy?

I think it would be 10 and 3 respectively. I know Tamron is airing at 10 on the ABC O&Os.

Here in DFW, this fall Kelly Clarkson airs at 2PM this fall on NBC5 (KXAS) the same time it'll go head-to-head with Tameron Hall also at 2PM on CBS11 (KTVT)*

(*) Tameron Hall was a former anchor/reporter at KTVT in the early-mid 1990s when 11 was an independent station before the station joined CBS 24 years ago.

4 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

5 hours ago, DetroitTVNews said:

I was incorrect about what I said before. Kelly Clarkson is coming to WXYZ in September.

Detroit is not the only ABC affiliate that's getting both Tamron and Kelly, KOCO is also getting both Kelly & Tamron (and I can confirm the former via the promos I've seen during KOCO's newscasts)

The only question mark in OKC is where does Dr. Oz end up? I could see one of two options. Either they move to 9am (and bumping the 9am newscast to 11am) or replace Access Live at 11am. Alternatively they could displace one of many court shows KOKH has and actually get a 2nd talk show on the daytime schedule (the only other talk show they currently have is Wendy) or I could see KFOR picking Oz up and air it at 2pm (sending The Doctors to KAUT)

If Access Live gets displaced, I see that (and Access) moving elsewhere either to KAUT, KOCB, or KSBI. I don't think any of the Big 4-affilated stations will have the room to pick it up imo

19 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

Wait, is The Doctors still on? 🤣🤣🤣 To go from a major network affiliate in Houston (KHOU?) to its lowest-rated independent station (KUBE) and still persist to this day makes you wonder how they keep the lights on over there... Rather surprising that it even continued to persist on a major network affiliate in Detroit (one that used to be an actual O&O) even as its share of the ratings dropped.

11 minutes ago, SS8609 said:

To go from a major network affiliate in Houston (KHOU?) to its lowest-rated independent station (KUBE) and still persist to this day makes you wonder how they keep the lights on over there...

Because Dr. Phil and his son make gobs of money for CBS through his talk show and Bull, so they get to keep that hour no matter what happens (if it hadn't bombed out of the gate, Face the Truth would have had a 'just because' season two itself).

10 minutes ago, mrschimpf said:

Because Dr. Phil and his son make gobs of money for CBS through his talk show and Bull, so they get to keep that hour no matter what happens (if it hadn't bombed out of the gate, Face the Truth would have had a 'just because' season two itself).

And there desperate to keep some of the remaining prime timeslots they have left from defecting to stronger talk shows, thought with CBSTD becoming the new distributor for Debmar-Mercury, we could see some stations switch from Doctors to Wendy Williams.

Archived