2019-20 Syndication News

east-tx-tv

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/sony-game-show-network-take-america-says-syndication-1217538

In a move that I don't think any of us saw coming, Sony is bringing the GSN show, America Says, into broadcast syndication this fall. They've got 85% of the country cleared including Fox, Tegna, Sinclair and CBS to name a few.

This does shock me. Honestly, I thought that Sony would try to bring back the Gong Show in syndication after ABC didn't renew it. 

• Replies 899
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, ColtFromGulfcoast said:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/sony-game-show-network-take-america-says-syndication-1217538

In a move that I don't think any of us saw coming, Sony is bringing the GSN show, America Says, into broadcast syndication this fall. They've got 85% of the country cleared including Fox, Tegna, Sinclair and CBS to name a few.

This does shock me. Honestly, I thought that Sony would try to bring back the Gong Show in syndication after ABC didn't renew it. 

I'd love to see another game show (Press Your Luck) that's currently airing as part of ABC's "Summer Fun & Games" come out to syndication as well

33 minutes ago, oknewsguy said:

I'd love to see another game show (Press Your Luck) that's currently airing as part of ABC's "Summer Fun & Games" come out to syndication as well

I can top that. I'd love to see Card Sharks, $100,000 Pyramid and Match Game currently airing on ABC's Summer of Fun & Games come out to syndication as well. And if we get our wish, I'd love to see Pyramid top prize to be $1,000,000!

52 minutes ago, ColtFromGulfcoast said:

Second GSN series since Baggage to air in syndication.

This kind of was under the radar, but CBS Television Distribution (the syndication arm of CBS) is launching a lifestyle diginet on CBS O&O's (and other groups) called DABL (pronounced "Dabble"). If the description reminds you of ABC's "dead diginet walking" Live Well, it's because the premise is the same, only with rights to Martha Stewart's old shows (which a CBS Television Distribution predecessor distributed, but Stewart's company owns the rights to), and the return of Emeril Lagasse.

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/cbs-dabl-digital-launch-martha-stewart-emeril-lagasse-1203244886/

1 hour ago, TVIntheDesert said:

This kind of was under the radar, but CBS Television Distribution (the syndication arm of CBS) is launching a lifestyle diginet on CBS O&O's (and other groups) called DABL (pronounced "Dabble"). If the description reminds you of ABC's "dead diginet walking" Live Well, it's because the premise is the same, only with rights to Martha Stewart's old shows (which a CBS Television Distribution predecessor distributed, but Stewart's company owns the rights to), and the return of Emeril Lagasse.

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/cbs-dabl-digital-launch-martha-stewart-emeril-lagasse-1203244886/

So you'll be seeing a lot of BAM! soon from the man himself (even if its reruns. lmao!).

On 6/18/2019 at 10:23 PM, TVIntheDesert said:

I Wonder how this backfires on CBS??  I can't see a diginet like this lasting very long, I don't think enough people will tun in to watch. 

I could see myself tuning in. I lament the fact that Philly doesn't have distribution of PBS' "Create" diginet so I could get a nightly dose of Lidia's Kitchen. This has the advantage of big names like Martha and Emeril from the start, as opposed to co-op'd O&O productions that populated the lineup on "Pickler & Ben" graveyard LiveWell (will they just put that channel out of it's misery already?!?). 

How many "classic primetime series" diginets can there be? What's the saturation point? BUZZR was a great addition to break the monotony, and I think DABL could serve a similar niche.

15 minutes ago, DENDude said:

I Wonder how this backfires on CBS??  I can't see a diginet like this lasting very long, I don't think enough people will tun in to watch. 

Or they'll just do what NBC did with their conversion of Nonstop to Cozi: add classic library shows and piss off MeTV (who has much of the CBSTVD shows).

2 minutes ago, PhillyWatch said:

I could see myself tuning in. I lament the fact that Philly doesn't have distribution of PBS' "Create" diginet so I could get a nightly dose of Lidia's Kitchen. This has the advantage of big names like Martha and Emeril from the start, as opposed to co-op'd O&O productions that populated the lineup on "Pickler & Ben" graveyard LiveWell (will they just put that channel out of it's misery already?!?). 

How many "classic primetime series" diginets can there be? What's the saturation point? BUZZR was a great addition to break the monotony, and I think DABL could serve a similar niche.

Live Well failed because there wasn't enough QUALITY original programming being produced for the network. ABC was buying C-rate shows in the syndication market ("Laura McKenzie's Traveler" and the scam "Treasure Hunters Roadshow"). CBS could have learned from ABC's mistakes.

5 hours ago, channel2 said:

Also, weren't diginets in the early going and Disney/ABC doing the typical Big Media tentativeness?

Diginets in their current form were rather new, but had been around since NBC started Weather Plus in the early-2000's. 

You'll see more diginets with original programming if ATSC 3.0 takes off and allows better resolution than 16:9 480i for each subchannel. 

On 6/20/2019 at 4:56 PM, channel2 said:

Also, weren't diginets in the early going and Disney/ABC doing the typical Big Media tentativeness?

NBC Weather Plus was the first diginet that was sort of successful, NBC was not the reason it went off the air.  The NBC Affiliates didn't want to do Weather Plus anymore so the network killed it--it kept it going on O&O stations under the NBC Plus brand for several more years before launching Cozi TV.   I've always thought ABC could do more with diginets for their affillates considering they have Disney behind them.  

Why ABC has never launched a full out news channel for it's affiliates on a sub channel is beyond me-they could have done a lot more with "ABC News NOW" than they did.  ABC News should try to take on MSNBC, FOX NEWS CHANNEL, & CNN but do it on the sub channels of it's affiliates.  I think something like that would be a big success.

24 minutes ago, DENDude said:

NBC Weather Plus was the first diginet that was sort of successful, NBC was not the reason it went off the air.  The NBC Affiliates didn't want to do Weather Plus anymore so the network killed it--it kept it going on O&O stations under the NBC Plus brand for several more years before launching Cozi TV.   I've always thought ABC could do more with diginets for their affillates considering they have Disney behind them.  

I thought the reason why NBC ended Weather Plus was because they purchased part of The Weather Channel and thought that having a stake in two weather networks would be redundant.

2 hours ago, DENDude said:

Why ABC has never launched a full out news channel for it's affiliates on a sub channel is beyond me-they could have done a lot more with "ABC News NOW" than they did.  ABC News should try to take on MSNBC, FOX NEWS CHANNEL, & CNN but do it on the sub channels of it's affiliates.  I think something like that would be a big success.

That may seem obvious to you and me, but Disney has never been all that interested in the 24-hour news business, and their Iger-era Midas Touch has largely eluded ABC. (Said Midas Touch is largely the result of Iger hollowing out the company's core and lucking out with his buying spree - the rest of Big Media was too stupid to buy Marvel, which had remained independent well into an era when comparable IP holders had long since been swallowed by media conglomerates, he lucked into catching George Lucas toy with selling his company, and Rupert Murdoch was all-too-willing to just get rid of his most valuable assets)

2 hours ago, Asomrjsurf said:

Fuison TV is owned by ABC and is to be a News channel.

Fusion TV was a JV between ABC and Univision. As far as I remember it was to be operated by Univision and was editorially seperate from ABC and Univision’s News divisions.  They had their own crews and correspondents. However some programs such as Nightline on Fusion made it on the channel.  ABC essentially handled the back off functions such as advertising and distribution.  ABC officially exited the JV in April 2016

Some changes Mike & Molly moved to WXSP last week from CW7 only airs once at 5:30PM and double run on the weekend at 2AM to 3AM. Couples Court & Caught In Providence second run at 4PM & 4:30PM which Caught In Providence second run moves from 1AM to 4:30PM. 2 Broke Girls moves an hour from 4PM to 5PM to 5PM to 6PM.

2 hours ago, TVIntheDesert said:

Big yawn. Just two hours to fill on those stations.

Yeah, this is a totally innovative schedule. At least come out with shows that we can't readily access on a gazillion different cable networks (USA, TNT etc). The best thing MNT did was the Walking Dead reruns. I'm not even a fan of the show but it was pretty cool that they did that. 

3 hours ago, ColtFromGulfcoast said:

Yeah, this is a totally innovative schedule. At least come out with shows that we can't readily access on a gazillion different cable networks (USA, TNT etc). The best thing MNT did was the Walking Dead reruns. I'm not even a fan of the show but it was pretty cool that they did that. 

Heck, you can even watch some of this stuff on ION Television, and it's available for free and over the air.

3 minutes ago, TennTV1983 said:

Heck, you can even watch some of this stuff on ION Television, and it's available for free and over the air.

There's lots of shows MyNetwork could shell out to get. How about Arrow, Supernatural, Jane The Virgin, Once Upon A Time, American Horror Story, etc. Those shows aren't in wide syndication.

And it's especially awkward enough when you have a station that carries both MyNet AND Ion Television (KSHV, I'm looking at you.). And then some of these MNT stations carry these shows anyway in broadcast syndication.

2 hours ago, ColtFromGulfcoast said:

There's lots of shows MyNetwork could shell out to get. How about Arrow, Supernatural, Jane The Virgin, Once Upon A Time, American Horror Story, etc. Those shows aren't in wide syndication.

Anything the CW carried will by default never darken the door of a MyNetworkTV affiliate (and at this point, most of those shows are likely bound for the WarnerMedia service whenever it launches). Likewise, Disney's stuff is likely headed to Disney+ and Hulu, and Fox's pre-'19 stuff is bound for the same situation. And let's face facts; nobody post-2015 is watching a drama in syndication with commercials. The streaming era basically has killed that model for all but 'network prestige' content like The Closer and Madam Secretary.

MyNet has pretty much established itself as two things; a service to fill primetime or late night, and where procedurals can get a steady rating (even a low rating). No need to change a model that works well already. At the end of the day, CBSTVD and NBCUTD are getting money from both Ion and Fox to keep these shows on the air and don't care if it airs at 3:30am in Holyoke or 8:30pm in Salt Lake City; I'm sure the actors are happy with the same.

MyNet* is basically a competitor not for the five major networks, but all the "old TV and movies" diginets (Antenna, Buzz, Comet, Cozi, Decades, Heroes & Icons, MeTV, This, That, Start TV, etc.). The only reason it has as many affiliates as it does is because they were all scared of being independents again after The WB and UPN merged to create The CW.

What's more amazing is the sheer number of those affiliates that changed their call letters to reference their new network.

* Though maybe it should be called My Procedural...

Archived