2019-20 Syndication News

east-tx-tv

51 minutes ago, G2000 said:

It's a shame that show didn't get not one millionaire winner in Chris Harrison's current run. Only three people took home the million in Viera's run; Kevin Smith (1st winner) Nancy Christy (2nd winner - and the first female to win the million) and Sam Murray (Tournament of Ten).

• Replies 899
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not at all surprise of this news. In fact about it, I'm kind of surprised that this show has lasted this long, despite the changes of hosts & the venues.

As of now, we still have yet to find out the timeslot for Tamron Hall's new talk show on the ABC O&Os. Yet many were speculating the 2pm slot, where Millionaire & Right This Minute currently occupies.

1 hour ago, mrschimpf said:

With the gymnastics to keep the million from being rewarded/budget wrecked and the declining tax incentive-influenced tape locations from New York>Stamford>Vegas (next stop could have been the old Pickler & Ben studio in Nashville down the line, and eventually Toronto), this was a mercy killing at this point.

Despite almost never giving away a miion dollars after 2003, it kept on chugging along because it A: got consistant ratings and B: it was cheaper to keep it going than paying for a new show that could potentially bomb. I can see most of the stations airing the show replacing it with 25 Words or Less.

I would assume Right This Minute will be going away also, even though that show has a stronger stations slate (dating back to when it was exclusive to Scripps and Raycom stations), unless ABC can shop the show to other stations outside the O&Os (BTW, did the shows moving to those stations help the ratings at all?).

Not surprised that Millionaire is ending as I thought it would have because of Ms. Hall's talk show. I was wondering what was going to happen with Right This Minute which to me RTM was more cheaper to make and keep as well just my opinion.

18 minutes ago, Megatron81 said:

Not surprised that Millionaire is ending as I thought it would have because of Ms. Hall's talk show. I was wondering what was going to happen with Right This Minute which to me RTM was more cheaper to make and keep as well just my opinion.

B&C confirms RTM will be back this fall.

Viral video show RightThisMinute will be back for another season, Disney confirms, and the Disney-owned stations in three markets that air CBS Television Distribution’s Rachael Ray — WABC New York, WPVI Philadelphia and WTVD Raleigh-Durham N.C. — have renewed that show for another year. That said, RightThisMinute could be moved to a later time slot. Right now, on WABC New York it airs behind Millionaire at 2 and 2:30 p.m., with both shows repeating at 1:30 and 2 am.

I used to watch RTM a lot and I follow their folks on Instagram so I'm glad its sticking around as it's still a pretty good show IMO.

Millionaire should've been canceled A LONG TIME AGO. A long time ago.

It wasn't viable anymore ever since Meredith Vieira left.

13 hours ago, G2000 said:

Millionaire has been cancelled.

Not surprising. While I have enjoyed it under Chris Harrison, Millionaire just wasn't the same after Meredith Vieira left (no matter what changes happened under tenure).

Good to see RTM will return in the fall.

10 hours ago, Action Newsroom said:

Not surprising. While I have enjoyed it under Chris Harrison, Millionaire just wasn't the same after Meredith Vieira left (no matter what changes happened under tenure).

Good to see RTM will return in the fall.

My thoughts exactly. To me it ended when Viera left. Just wasn’t the same. That was about the time it left WBTV for WAXN in Charlotte. 

I'd anticipate ABC O&O's shifting RTM to late night slot when Tamron Hall debuts.  I figured it was a matter of time that Millionaire would be canceled.

I too would agree that it hasn't been the same since Vieira left the syndicated version.  Vieira did Millionaire while she was doing The View and Today.  Regis Philbin did prime-time version that lasted a few seasons, and his version was good too.  I'd guess the reason Philbin didn't do daytime version would be his commitment to his morning talk show.  I'd imagine reruns of Millionaire to air on GSN.

On 5/17/2019 at 6:46 PM, G2000 said:

It's one thing it hasn't been the same since meredith left, but when any market like Cleveland didn't cleared it for a year before return, not limited it to it though, writing's been on the wall for a while. The way they moved from city to city with diminishing tax incentives, it felt like there was some automation going on with slashed budget, barely a staff. I'd like to know if the states themselves (CT, NV) are rolling back tax incentives for filming or is coincidence on Millionaire's part?

8 hours ago, DetroitTVNews said:

Alarm bells aren't ringing yet, but there are rumors that Family Feud will have a new host after the 2019-20 season.

And ruin the ratings that Steve Harvey brought you? Unless he's voluntarily retiring, I just don't see it.

On 5/17/2019 at 6:46 PM, G2000 said:

Not surprised.  Wonder what WGAL will do now with the 12:30p slot.  Hopefully NoonDay on 8 will return with a HOUR of news.  Or maybe, bring back 12:30 Live!

-- Matt

1 hour ago, susquvalleywgal said:

Not surprised.  Wonder what WGAL will do now with the 12:30p slot.  Hopefully NoonDay on 8 will return with a HOUR of news.  Or maybe, bring back 12:30 Live!

-- Matt

I'm not a betting man, but I can see 25 Words or Less taking its slot. In fact, I see 25 Words taking over many of Millionaires time slots!

14 hours ago, DetroitTVNews said:

Alarm bells aren't ringing yet, but there are rumors that Family Feud will have a new host after the 2019-20 season.

Source or nonsense.

Feud has had its best ratings ever under Harvey (at times beating Wheel and Jeopardy!). The producers would be straight-up morons to willingly replace him after the years of growth and success he's given the show (and even an Emmy win this year). But we'll see where this rumor goes -- hopefully to the trash.

1 hour ago, Action Newsroom said:

Source or nonsense.

Feud has had its best ratings ever under Harvey (at times beating Wheel and Jeopardy!). The producers would be straight-up morons to willingly replace him after the years of growth and success he's given the show (and even an Emmy win this year). But we'll see where this rumor goes -- hopefully to the trash.

I'm not gonna link it here to fuel the flame but it's from "Media Take Out.com" the only "source" reporting this. NOT from TMZ, Daily Mail, the Blast, Page Six or other otherwise relatively reputable rags. It'd be catastrophically stupid if that happens of course but i don't think they're THAT stupid. As you stated, winner of Emmy for best game show, beating J! + Wheel consistently in ratings, not to mention 1 Million subs on YT. Mind you it's only coincidence Harvey's relationship with NBC soured, first losing his time slot on the network O&O's to Kelly Clarkson that eventually led to cancellation. Then he lost his hosting gig on Little Big Shots to Melissa Mccarthy, but that's about it. I was thinking maybe FOX would've taken 'Steve' talk show for other O&Os not airing at that moment, other than WAGA. Harvey's more home to FOX with Miss Universe + NYE at times square specials.  

On 5/17/2019 at 3:46 PM, G2000 said:

Millionaire hasn't really been itself for a long time now since Meredith left. From what I understand, the game and theme music had to change because Disney was too budget conscious and had a license dispute with the show's owner, Sony, so pretty much the format and gameplay changed for the worse.

According to e-mails released in the Sony Pictures Entertainment hack, Millionaire narrowly avoided cancellation after the 2014–15 season. The show's declining ratings prompted DADT to demand a dramatically reduced licensing fee for renewal, which SPE was hesitant to accept. The series was nonetheless renewed for the 2015–16 season, with various cuts to the show's production budget and a return to the original format (but with only 14 questions).[73] Had the show not been renewed, SPE would have placed the show on extended hiatus for three years, reclaimed full rights to the show (without the innovations and format added in the syndicated run, to which DADT owns intellectual property rights), and shopped the revived show to another network or syndicator.[74] On January 17, 2017, it was announced that Millionaire has been renewed through 2018.[75] Millionaire was subsequently renewed through the 2018–19 season on January 17, 2018.[76]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who_Wants_to_Be_a_Millionaire_(U.S._game_show)#Syndication

I still miss primetime Millionaire and was wishing we'd see something for the 20th anniversary, which would have been this July. Would love to see a reboot eventually: with the show going back to NYC, getting that new revived Tron-inspired set that the UK got last year, and installing someone like Scott Rogowsky as host.  Unless they get friendly with Disney anytime soon (which is possible, they are able to share Spider-Man for goodness sakes), Sony must be proceeding with their plans of giving the show a hiatus, I'm guessing it will take three years until we see Millionaire back in some form.

Bear with me while I use "The Ladies Man" movie and Prince as an example.

Millionaire before the music change, the first set of questions supposed to be lively and loose and to get everyone in the mood to get to know the contestant in the hot seat.

c1b9ca1227414094.jpg 

Then when you get to the $25,000-$32,000 range, it dawns on everyone this is not gonna be a cakewalk.

415dc21227414104.jpg 

And then, when you reach the million dollar question, the pressure and the music makes you and everyone watching very very tense and the edge of their seat. (Unless you're John Carpenter.)

d133431227414124.jpg 

Now the only left for Millonaire to do is to...

Honestly, I thought Regis & Meredith was the best hosts with Cedric & Chris was decent enough to hold their own and Terry...yeah.

Here in Atlanta...Access and Extra will probably stay put on WAGA and WXIA respectively, though with Page Six TV leaving, Access may be occupying 12:30 am.

But with Dr. Oz heading to WGCL, the battle for Kelly Clarkson will be between WSB and WAGA.

15 minutes ago, johnnya2k6 said:

Here in Atlanta...Access and Extra will probably stay put on WAGA and WXIA respectively, though with Page Six TV leaving, Access may be occupying 12:30 am.

But with Dr. Oz heading to WGCL, the battle for Kelly Clarkson will be between WSB and WAGA.

I believe WSB will be picking up Tamron Hall for 3PM.  Kelly Clarkson could go to WAGA or be picked up by WPCH, WATL, or WUPA, if WAGA passes on Clarkson.  WSB may keep RTM at 10AM, much like WXIA keeps DBL at 2PM.

Archived