2019-20 Syndication News

east-tx-tv

21 minutes ago, Georgie56 said:

WVLA airs Maury, so not exactly surprising.

Yeah, that's a bit more understandable since WDSU and WJZ did or continue to air Maury well into this decade. 

However, find me a big 3 or even big 4 station that still airs Jerry Springer. Like, KTAL got rid of it YEARS ago.

• Replies 899
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, ColtFromGulfcoast said:

Yeah, that's a bit more understandable since WDSU and WJZ did or continue to air Maury well into this decade. 

However, find me a big 3 or even big 4 station that still airs Jerry Springer. Like, KTAL got rid of it YEARS ago.

I think KSNF still aired Jerry after Carson Daly at 1:07am until the "cancelation" and move to the CW. And there were a number of Fox affiliates that aired Jerry to the end.

On 4/15/2019 at 12:51 PM, TresGriffin said:

Random aside, but for some reason whenever I hear someone mention The Doctors, I think of the old soap opera and not the current talk show...

...which is still being re-run on Retro TV.  Currently it is the only past soap getting re-run.  I can't believe that almost all the episodes were saved.

On 4/18/2019 at 4:15 PM, Eyewitness News-man said:

Not only has "Big Kev" been shown the door at Wendy, but Wendy is already talking during Hot Topics in the past week by referring to herself as "single", and to her immediate family as "me and my son".  So even though the divorce surely isn't final yet, in her mind and on her show, Wendy has moved on.  She's even getting contacted for dates and outings already, including by DJ Boof--her show's DJ.

1 hour ago, east-tx-tv said:

...which is still being re-run on Retro TV.  Currently it is the only past soap getting re-run.  I can't believe that almost all the episodes were saved.

Really? It escaped NBC's tape erasure policy? How many eps are known to be missing?

21 hours ago, east-tx-tv said:

Not only has "Big Kev" been shown the door at Wendy, but Wendy is already talking during Hot Topics in the past week by referring to herself as "single", and to her immediate family as "me and my son".  So even though the divorce surely isn't final yet, in her mind and on her show, Wendy has moved on.  She's even getting contacted for dates and outings already, including by DJ Boof--her show's DJ.

It’s kind of interesting too how people in comment sections and on YouTube tend to be ignorant of legal implications of speaking too soon. So many people were like “how come she can talk about everyone else’s business but not her own?”  Well, that’s probably because she was getting her ducks in a row and her attorney advised her not to speak on it at all until Kevin got served.

21 hours ago, Spectrum27 said:

Really? It escaped NBC's tape erasure policy? How many eps are known to be missing?

1 or 2, maybe.  Definitely less than 5.  Without knowing the full scoop, I'm guessing the reason that most exist is that Colgate-Palmolive must have had them archived prior to NBC getting control of the show in 1980.  SFM Entertainment was given the syndication deal rights by Colgate-Palmolive/Channelex, and for quite a while they said they were working on a rerun deal.  The rampant rumor was that SFM was in talks with Hallmark Channel.  But that never materialized.  Then suddenly news came that Retro TV got the rerun rights.  The airings started, not at the first of the series in April 1963, but in December 1967.  I asked a big-wig with SFM about the time of the start of the reruns what timeframe would be the start of the episodes.  He said that they were concerned that starting them any earlier than with the December 1967 eps would bring tape quality into play.  There was talk initially that there could be a DVD release (or releases) but so far, just the reruns on Retro TV have been what's available to see.  They've double-run them since the start, around 5 years ago.  If my figuring is correct, the 1977 episodes are likely what is on now.  When the news came out that SFM had practically all the episodes of The Doctors, I was astounded.  It would be wonderful if other shows, including Another World and The Edge of Night, were suddenly available in full (or nearly), but as of now, thanks to NBC and Procter & Gamble (and CBS/ABC in Edge's case) and their short-sightedness, we have what we have.

1 hour ago, TresGriffin said:

It’s kind of interesting too how people in comment sections and on YouTube tend to be ignorant of legal implications of speaking too soon. So many people were like “how come she can talk about everyone else’s business but not her own?”  Well, that’s probably because she was getting her ducks in a row and her attorney advised her not to speak on it at all until Kevin got served.

I kept telling some of the Facebook and YouTube commenters just how intertwined Wendy and Mr. Hunter have been regarding the show, her production company, and oh yes--something I've forgotten--the Hunter Foundation, their charity.  So, in many ways, Wendy spilling any/all of her own "tea" could have been disastrous for her situation, her show, and the charity.  Some were like, "oh yeah, haven't thought of that..." while others weren't ready to stop calling for Wendy to finally be verbal about her own life and situation.  The divorce won't be quick, or simple.  But Wendy already sounds happier.  And, another thing, she revealed this past week she'll be leaving the confines of that sober house she's been staying at in Queens.

On 4/22/2019 at 12:51 PM, TresGriffin said:

People who personally don't like Wendy (or anyone for that matter) love to point out nonsensical things just to make their target look bad, no matter how ignorant or just plain dim they themselves look because of the nonsense hearsay they pick up. And people who agree with them also throw around the word "facts", while not getting or knowing or even caring about the true actual facts surrounding the certain news.

8 hours ago, east-tx-tv said:

1 or 2, maybe.  Definitely less than 5.  Without knowing the full scoop, I'm guessing the reason that most exist is that Colgate-Palmolive must have had them archived prior to NBC getting control of the show in 1980.  SFM Entertainment was given the syndication deal rights by Colgate-Palmolive/Channelex, and for quite a while they said they were working on a rerun deal.  The rampant rumor was that SFM was in talks with Hallmark Channel.  But that never materialized.  Then suddenly news came that Retro TV got the rerun rights.  The airings started, not at the first of the series in April 1963, but in December 1967.  I asked a big-wig with SFM about the time of the start of the reruns what timeframe would be the start of the episodes.  He said that they were concerned that starting them any earlier than with the December 1967 eps would bring tape quality into play.  There was talk initially that there could be a DVD release (or releases) but so far, just the reruns on Retro TV have been what's available to see.  They've double-run them since the start, around 5 years ago.  If my figuring is correct, the 1977 episodes are likely what is on now.  When the news came out that SFM had practically all the episodes of The Doctors, I was astounded.  It would be wonderful if other shows, including Another World and The Edge of Night, were suddenly available in full (or nearly), but as of now, thanks to NBC and Procter & Gamble (and CBS/ABC in Edge's case) and their short-sightedness, we have what we have.

They’re in December 1977 right now. 

So were probably close to seeing Kathleen Turner take over the role of Nola Dancy Aldrich soon. 

Mel Robbins Syndicated Daytime Talk Show Cleared In 90% Of U.S. For September Launch
The Mel Robbins Show is sprinting toward a fall launch. Sony Pictures Television’s new one-hour syndicated talk show hosted by motivational speaker, life strategist and author Robbins has been picked up by Nexstar Media Group. Combined with Tribune, which teamed with SPT to launch the program, The Mel Robbins Show has been sold in 90% of U.S. households. The show, executive produced by Emmy winner Mindy Borman (The Dr. Oz Show), will debut in syndication on September 16.

CBS, Cox, Hubbard Broadcasting, Meredith Corporation, Scripps and Weigel Broadcasting Company are among the station groups joining Nexstar and Tribune in carrying the show.
https://deadline.com/2019/04/mel-robbins-syndicated-daytime-talk-show-cleared-in-90-of-u-s-for-september-launch-1202600847/

On 4/22/2019 at 11:12 AM, east-tx-tv said:

The thing is in recent years, SFM split from its media buying agency roots and became literally a one-man operation (Stan Moger). And he passed away last year. 

Not sure if this is appropriate for this thread, but it looks like WADL is already doing some tweaking for the 2019-20 season. Access Live now airs weekdays at 5, and the only time Friends airs on that station now is at midnight-1 AM early Sunday morning.

• 2 weeks later...

With Extra leaving NBC O&O's to move to Fox O&O's, and Billy Bush joining Extra, it seems obvious Extra is going in a new direction for its 26th season.  It'd be interesting to see whether NBC O&O's are looking to expand local news line-up (either adding half-hour 7PM newscast, Access air at 7:30PM... Or 6PM news expanded to full hour, NBC Nightly News moved to 7PM, and Access at 7:30PM... Or half-hour 7:30PM newscast, similar to what Tribune experimented with in mid 90s at a couple of its stations)... Or NBC could explore acquiring a different newsmagazine show to replace Extra, or give something new a test run.  Or if People TV proves successful for Meredith group, I could see NBC showing interest in acquiring and expanding it to additional markets.

With Natalie Morales out at Access and Access Live, even though she's still employed by NBC, we're waiting to see whether rumor of Mario Lopez joining Access is true.

50 minutes ago, atlnewsfan03 said:

With Extra leaving NBC O&O's to move to Fox O&O's, and Billy Bush joining Extra, it seems obvious Extra is going in a new direction for its 26th season.  It'd be interesting to see whether NBC O&O's are looking to expand local news line-up (either adding half-hour 7PM newscast, Access air at 7:30PM... Or 6PM news expanded to full hour, NBC Nightly News moved to 7PM, and Access at 7:30PM... Or half-hour 7:30PM newscast, similar to what Tribune experimented with in mid 90s at a couple of its stations)... Or NBC could explore acquiring a different newsmagazine show to replace Extra, or give something new a test run.  Or if People TV proves successful for Meredith group, I could see NBC showing interest in acquiring and expanding it to additional markets.

With Natalie Morales out at Access and Access Live, even though she's still employed by NBC, we're waiting to see whether rumor of Mario Lopez joining Access is true.

I know WTVJ will run their lifestyle show "6 in the mix" in that 7:00 pm time slot. However, I am not sure if it will be a rerun or moving the show completely from its current 11:30 am time slot. They've been running promos for the new schedule.

4 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

It was only a matter of time before he would find work again after the Access Hollywood tape fallout.

I guess that means Charlie Rose and Matt Lauer should be out of the penalty box soon.

22 hours ago, atlnewsfan03 said:

...It'd be interesting to see whether NBC O&O's are looking to expand local news line-up (either adding half-hour 7PM newscast, Access air at 7:30PM... Or 6PM news expanded to full hour, NBC Nightly News moved to 7PM, and Access at 7:30PM... Or half-hour 7:30PM newscast, similar to what Tribune experimented with in mid 90s at a couple of its stations)... Or NBC could explore acquiring a different newsmagazine show to replace Extra, or give something new a test run.  Or if People TV proves successful for Meredith group, I could see NBC showing interest in acquiring and expanding it to additional markets.

According to a B&C article, this may be an answer to EXTRA's replacement on NBC Stations.

"...NBC also is said to be looking at launching a live true-crime series to fill the slots being vacated by Extra in those seven markets. Neither Lopez’ move nor the new show has been officially confirmed by either Warner Bros. or NBCUniversal, however, and Lopez’ contract with Extra runs through this summer."

Could they bring a (new) mini version of crime watch daily, ahem, true crime daily that somehow has prospered since it left syndication last season. Below, its past stories uploaded daily on YT garners over 100k views, some up to 1M. It also recently released its own podcast. My thought process was they're gonna launch a 7p news a la WRC WBTS.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC69uYUqvx-vw4luuX7aHNLQ/

Shifting gears though, any development on Steve Harvey's talk show? Where it's going beyond this season?

Archived