2019-20 Syndication News

east-tx-tv

(There's already movement for next fall, so here's a thread for the new season.)

Looks like all that work Jerry O'Connell did standing in for Wendy on her show (recent months, as well as a year or so ago after her fainting spell), has finally paid off--at least initially.  Debmar-Mercury (a production partner on Wendy) and Funny or Die are collaborating on Jerry O, a new comedy bits/celebrity interviews show, which is getting a 3-week test-run on several Fox O/O stations.  It begins August 12.

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/jerry-oconnell-talk-show-fox-1203159960/

https://deadline.com/2019/03/jerry-oconnell-talk-comedy-show-jerry-o-fox-stations-test-run-1202573094/

• Replies 899
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you're longtime game show fans as I am, be prepared to the return of two classic games coming back to ABC (Not for syndication).

ABC is doubling down on its game-show revival business, adding both Card Sharks and Press Your Luck to its roster of retro redos, where they will join Match Game$100,000 Pyramid, (CelebrityFamily Feud and To Tell the Truth. (Judging by The Gong Show‘s absence from ABC’s press site, I’d say it got gonged.) 

Pre-production on hour-long episodes is underway, with an eye on spring premiere dates, Vulture reports.

19 minutes ago, TexasTVNews said:

If you're longtime game show fans as I am, be prepared to the return of two classic games coming back to ABC (Not for syndication).

ABC is doubling down on its game-show revival business, adding both Card Sharks and Press Your Luck to its roster of retro redos, where they will join Match Game$100,000 Pyramid, (CelebrityFamily Feud and To Tell the Truth. (Judging by The Gong Show‘s absence from ABC’s press site, I’d say it got gonged.) 

Pre-production on hour-long episodes is underway, with an eye on spring premiere dates, Vulture reports.

Proof of ABC's desperation for ratings?

16 minutes ago, hmaxhanson said:

We're talking off-season shows that are relatively inexpensive to produce, that get solid ratings, and are generally critical successes? Why not resurrect other properties? It's not like they're on the fall primetime slate (Match Game getting a winter run, notwithstanding).

47 minutes ago, hmaxhanson said:

...or nah.

These summer game shows (winter-aired Match Game aside) have already been solid ratings (and critical and financial) successes for ABC. Two more aren't gonna turn it into broadcast GSN or another Buzzr.

1 hour ago, TexasTVNews said:

I’m not feeling happy about this if ABC officially cancels The Gong Show. I’d rather watch that than NBC’s America’s Got Talent. I find AGT to be too Schmoltzy. I don’t like NBC’s Sob Story rule. I’d rather watch the talent than sit through a compelling tale. Just my two cents.

Looks like the Lighthouse is going to pull the plug on Pickler & Ben.

They stated that a lack of clearance in the top markets (in O&O territory) for their decision, despite growing in over two-thirds of the TV households.

From this article during its Q4 earnings call a couple of weeks ago:

The challenge? Growing beyond Scripps stations, in particular in top markets where network O&Os declined to add the program to its daytime lineup.

“When both NBC and ABC decided to return to the daytime talk show business, both networks committed distribution of their shows on their owned and operated stations,” Lawlor said. “That locked us out of some of the nation’s top markets. This left Pickler & Ben with no path for distribution growth into the largest U.S. cities—a path we counted on to grow the show.”

Pickler & Ben will continue through September 2019, at which point it will cease production.

9 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

Looks like the Lighthouse is going to pull the plug on Pickler & Ben.

They stated that a lack of clearance in the top markets (in O&O territory) for their decision, despite growing in over two-thirds of the TV households.

From this article during its Q4 earnings call a couple of weeks ago:

It was only cleared briefly in Charlotte, on WCCB

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, MadMan400096 said:

KidsClick has become the latest casualty

Wow, that sucks.

I really liked it as a programming block and app, and enjoyed (most of) it's programming. I'm saddened for its other viewers who've watched and enjoyed it too.

I think that Right This Minute will be returning to Fox17 this fall since it's a Scripps show don't know how long that Nexstar has the contract for it. The List will also be on Fox17 this fall as well since Scripps is the new owner of WXMI Fox17 come this fall once the merger is final. 

https://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/fox-television-stations-to-give-rupaul-three-week-run

Yeah, I know. This would be his second one. Telepictures wanted to launch it this fall but initially, they couldn't find enough stations for it. The article also says that Fox will be testing an entertainment magazine from Debmar-Mercury and Will Packer Media (who I think has a deal with DM parent company Lionsgate) called Central Avenue. 

Now, as I read the article, it says that Fox wants to test as many shows as possible to keep programming options fresh year round. This makes me curious because Fox already does this at the network level and they pull it off seamlessly. Is this the first step towards syndicated shows rotating permanently. For example, during the summer months, and possibly some of winter, a different slate of shows come out?

1 hour ago, TriangleTriadMediaNews said:

Know of any other affiliates?  

Well, KPXJ already runs Springer now (both syndicated and CW version).

And then another article says that WPIX, KDAF, WPHL, WCIU, WLVI and WATL also will be carrying the show. My guess would be that the majority of the stations running it outside of the ones already listed would be the ones that carry Springer's syndicated package (and not the ones who only carry it via the CW).

As for the CW Daytime, I'm curious as to what this means for those reruns since obviously the network has the right to ask for new episodes but proabably can't as long as Judge Jerry is in production. (and I do wonder, Is Judge Jerry being treated as a "successor" to the Jerry Springer Show but done in a different format). I suppose NBCU and Nexstar (if either party cares enough, Nexstar being the successor to Tribune) could just rush out a new show to take over that timeslot (maybe give that proposed panel talk show called The Squad a second revisit) or just give it back to the affiliates. An alternate possibility being CBS or Warner take the time slot for another show that otherwise would have been sold into regular syndication. 

Otherwise, if the Springer talk reruns do come back, I can see some stations trying to bury it in overnight slots and giving the daytime spot to something else (for example, KPXJ picking up Kelly Clarkson to air at 2pm, where the CW daytime currently is)

13 minutes ago, ColtFromGulfcoast said:

Well, KPXJ already runs Springer now (both syndicated and CW version).

And then another article says that WPIX, KDAF, WPHL, WCIU, WLVI and WATL also will be carrying the show. My guess would be that the majority of the stations running it outside of the ones already listed would be the ones that carry Springer's syndicated package (and not the ones who only carry it via the CW).

As for the CW Daytime, I'm curious as to what this means for those reruns since obviously the network has the right to ask for new episodes but proabably can't as long as Judge Jerry is in production. (and I do wonder, Is Judge Jerry being treated as a "successor" to the Jerry Springer Show but done in a different format). I suppose NBCU and Nexstar (if either party cares enough, Nexstar being the successor to Tribune) could just rush out a new show to take over that timeslot (maybe give that proposed panel talk show called The Squad a second revisit) or just give it back to the affiliates. An alternate possibility being CBS or Warner take the time slot for another show that otherwise would have been sold into regular syndication. 

Otherwise, if the Springer talk reruns do come back, I can see some stations trying to bury it in overnight slots and giving the daytime spot to something else (for example, KPXJ picking up Kelly Clarkson to air at 2pm, where the CW daytime currently is)

They'll keep going, as it's the only syndicated shows appealing directly to the coveted 18-34 demo (specifically the high school and college crowd).

In a continuing sea of change off of Disney-FOX, Debmar-Mercury has chosen CBS Television Distribution (CTD) to sell National advertising barter time in its first-run programming. This replaces Its longtime syndie ad partner, Twentieth Television. Get ready to see the famous eye in the blue sea background with mystic music played after the end credits for shows like Wendy + Family Feud. I wonder if this will affect some FOX O&O (or other non-cbs) stations in the future that carry some D/M shows by this decision or this is just business BTS alone? Also what will happen to 20th Television?

https://tvnewscheck.com/article/top-news/233295/debmar-mercury-picks-ctd-to-sell-national-time/

5 hours ago, justin2kx said:

In a continuing sea of change off of Disney-FOX, Debmar-Mercury has chosen CBS Television Distribution (CTD) to sell National advertising barter time in its first-run programming. This replaces Its longtime syndie ad partner, Twentieth Television. Get ready to see the famous eye in the blue sea background with mystic music played after the end credits for shows like Wendy + Family Feud. I wonder if this will affect some FOX O&O (or other non-cbs) stations in the future that carry some D/M shows by this decision or this is just business BTS alone? Also what will happen to 20th Television?

https://tvnewscheck.com/article/top-news/233295/debmar-mercury-picks-ctd-to-sell-national-time/

My bet would be that 20th Television would get absorbed into Disney-ABC Domestic Television.

46 minutes ago, CRThell said:

Page Six TV is done. Signs point towards Disney folding 20th Television.

Signs also point to consistently low ratings, which didn't improve throughout this season.

Oh well, too bad. I did find the show and its hosts entertaining. At least they have their day jobs to fall back on.

27 minutes ago, Eyewitness News-man said:

Signs also point to consistently low ratings, which didn't improve throughout this season.

Oh well, too bad. I did find the show and its hosts entertaining. At least they have their day jobs to fall back on.

Ratings for sure, but one can also speculate that Extra will take over Page Six TV's timeslots come fall. 

It's a pity, Page Six TV felt pretty inventive from what I saw, but the showbiz news format is too saturated at this point. Something had to go.

23 minutes ago, tvtime07 said:

Ratings for sure, but one can also speculate that Extra will take over Page Six TV's timeslots come fall. 

Sure no doubt, but IMO I'd see it as more than speculation and call this "an obviously forgone conclusion" as one show will no doubt be jettisoned for a still-successful proven megahit. Now we know which one.

27 minutes ago, tvtime07 said:

It's a pity, Page Six TV felt pretty inventive from what I saw, but the showbiz news format is too saturated at this point. Something had to go.

Agreed. It certainly was a well-done,

unique take on the format that I thought would've lasted a while. But since what already works is what kept most shows on air today, it just wasn't to be, I guess.

Archived