March Madness 2019

Georgie56

Turner has it again next year, right? I'm ready for them to try some shenanigans next year in that case.

CBS knows better. They present sports in a much more traditional manner without all of the hullabaloo, and I appreciate them for that.

CBS is using their current graphics and the 2011 March Madness theme for their coverage of the Big Ten semifinals today, like they have done for the past couple of years on Selection Weekend.

23 minutes ago, tjt24 said:

CBS is using their current graphics and the 2011 March Madness theme for their coverage of the Big Ten semifinals today, like they have done for the past couple of years on Selection Weekend.

They've been so inconsistent over the years...

2011-2013: CBS graphics/CBS music

2014-2015: NCAA Tournament graphics/NCAA Tournament music

2016: CBS graphics/NCAA Tournament music

2017: NCAA Tournament graphics/NCAA Tournament music

2018-2019: CBS graphics/NCAA Tournament music

Also, all of the smaller conference championships on CBS Sports Network since 3/11/19 got the NCAA Tournament music. The MVC tournament got the standard CBS music; however, since their tournament was last week instead of this week. Odd distinction there, especially since last year, the MVC tournament got treated by the NCAA Tournament music because the Big Ten Tournament was being held on the same weekend, a week earlier than normal. Since CBS was using the NCAA Tournament music for the Big Ten Tournament, they just decided to use it for the MVC Tournament since it was taking place at the same time.

I noticed that Let's Make a Deal is not being carried here in Chicago today and tomorrow due to March Madness. We have paid programming on WBBM instead. Is everyone else carrying paid programming, or are some markets airing their afternoon syndicated programming during that 1-hour block? Is pulling Let's Made a Deal something CBS does nationally in order to give their affiliates the option to move up their syndicated programming, or are repeats of the show still available today and tomorrow to the affiliates that want it?

38 minutes ago, TVNewsLover said:

KYW is running paid programming 10-11am. Surprised they are not running Dr. Phil or the IE/ET combo at that hour.

From looking at some other O&Os like WCBS and KDKA, it looks like they're all airing Paid Programming during that hour. Must be a requirement. Pretty sad to see Paid Programming on a network station at 9 or 10 am on a weekday morning.

Do we have any idea why they're using completely different music at the Columbus, OH game site on CBS right now?

Edit: It sounds like it's a bunch of alternate cuts of the main CBS NCAA theme being used in lieu of the March Madness theme. They just used the main cut of the CBS theme going into the latest break.

The only usage of the March Madness music in this telecast has been the sponsor bumpers, probably because the music is baked into the pre-recorded VO track.

Edit 2: I think they figured out their issues after halftime. They're using the correct music now.

I hope in future years they'll do a better job spacing games out in primetime during Round 1. I felt like three of the four games started and ended at roughly the same time both nights. I also wish they would bunch the Round 2 games together like they do on Thursday/Friday, so that I could have a life for a few hours without missing games.

That being said: the games today have been REALLY good.

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, Northerner said:

If anyone is interested - here is a quick cap from TSN's coverage of March Madness (via the ESPN world feed).

2019-04-06.png

I was on Ottawa a few weeks ago, and the bar I was at had the CBS feed of March Madness — so I guess this isn’t Sim-Subbed in Canada?

I’m constantly confused by the broadcast rules.

It's supposed to only be conventional over-the-air television stations in Canada that are supposed to be subbed overtop American stations.  For years,  Bell ExpressVu would sub TSN overtop NBC during Sunday Night Football.  I think they were told to stop doing that by the CRTC awhile back, however during the Blue Jays playoff run, Rogers subbed Sportsnet overtop the Fox station from Buffalo in the Ontario market.

My personal theory as to why TSN and Sportsnet air programs they can't get a simsub over is that they can market it towards viewers that may or may not know  about the basic American stations being available on their cable package - or are confused as to which channel it's on.

Plus with more and more viewers cutting the cord - and both TSN and Sportsnet selling their services OTT - it's smart to bulk up on rights.

Archived