Welcome, Guest!

Sign In or Create my Account to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.
kmetz

Mac VS PC in newsrooms?

In the UK, ITV in 2013 or so moved their whole operations over to Macs. Everywhere from admin staff to news now us them.

On 5/15/2019 at 4:29 AM, EthanR said:

In the UK, ITV in 2013 or so moved their whole operations over to Macs. Everywhere from admin staff to news now us them.

Hmm wonder why? Special price ?

Posted (edited)
On 3/13/2019 at 1:26 PM, ns8401 said:

I’ve seen rows of iMacs in newsroom live shots before... surprising for a company that does everything else el cheapo...

The only place I've seen rows of iMacs in a newsroom was KAET's "Cronkite News" (produced by Arizona State University's Cronkite School of Journalism, which is a training ground on the lines of KOMU). Macs are still well used in educational institutions.

Edited by TVIntheDesert

53 minutes ago, TVIntheDesert said:

The only place I've seen rows of iMacs in a newsroom was KAET's "Cronkite News" (produced by Arizona State University's Cronkite School of Journalism, which is a training ground on the lines of KOMU). Macs are still well used in educational institutions.

Some of Scripps quality is lower than that... coincidence? 🤔

Posted (edited)
On 5/15/2019 at 4:29 AM, EthanR said:

ITV News (produced by ITN) use PCs in the newsrooms. And a quick look around it appears PCs are used in their franchises in the PCRs and the newsdesks.  However the newsrooms appear to have a decent portion of Macs.

Edited by rkolsen

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, rkolsen said:

ITV News (produced by ITN) use PCs in the newsrooms. And a quick look around it appears PCs are used in their franchises in the PCRs and the newsdesks.  I’d assume Macs are used for more corporate roles. 

National news at ITN may still PC's but I know most other departments (including regions) made the switch to macs when they moved their email client over to gmail.

EDIT: Here's ann article back from 2011: https://www.computerworlduk.com/it-vendors/itv-switches-to-google-and-apple-3293148/

Quick google search brought up these images.

stream_img-1.jpg

gettyimages-170502700-1024x1024.jpg

Edited by EthanR
  • Like 1