Live Trucks going fully cellular with 5G?

kmetz

5 minutes ago, Weeters said:

Did you know you (yes, YOU!) could own your VERY OWN LiveU unit, no strings attached?

They sell a prosumer model now. The LiveU Solo. Bring your own 4G modems. Works with one out of the box, but you can upgrade to bonded cellular (max two modems) with some additional somewhat pricey software subscriptions.

Who in the fuck would use this shit? Probably some past their prime podcasting network in Northern California.

It could be useful for twitch streamers but there are waaaayyyy cheaper options than this.

27 minutes ago, TVLurker said:

Who in the fuck would use this shit? Probably some past their prime podcasting network in Northern California.

It could be useful for twitch streamers but there are waaaayyyy cheaper options than this.

I've seen some smaller "news outlets" (blogs) using them... I'm afraid stations will start buying them because they're arguably cheaper (but far less advanced) than the actual LiveU units are.

It's definitely trying to compete with the Teradek VidiU Go, which is a much more obtrusive camera-top unit.

49 minutes ago, TVLurker said:

I'm sure the adult movie industry could cum-up with a few ideas for the technology.

(img not approved)

KUSA, KTVD, KDVR & KWGN use Live U units here and they tend to have issues with the audio, especially in the mountains & out on the plains during breaking news.  That's when you can tell  they aren't using a sat truck.  Live U is good when the cell networks aren't busy.

34 minutes ago, DENDude said:

KUSA, KTVD, KDVR & KWGN use Live U units here and they tend to have issues with the audio, especially in the mountains & out on the plains during breaking news.  That's when you can tell  they aren't using a sat truck.  Live U is good when the cell networks aren't busy.

What does a live shot typically use in terms of bitrate? 10Mb/s? 

1 hour ago, kmetz said:

What does a live shot typically use in terms of bitrate? 10Mb/s? 

It varies on content. But LiveU’s and Dejeros and TVU’s all max out at around 20Mbps uplink.

However I’ve seen some people use Dejeros here at WJZ sending HD shots at bitrates as low as 3 Mbps.  Of course the audio and video use the latest HD compression technology. 

7 hours ago, DENDude said:

There are portions of the Front Range and in the mountains where there is no cell phone coverage let alone 4G, period, for miles.

13 hours ago, Eat News said:

snapped these on I-405 in South L.A. a few days ago. I don't know who's it was but it's #33. FOX or KMEX?

Very likely one of the four Ford Transits KTTV received from AMT in 2017.

Speaking of KMEX, though, be on the lookout for a tricked out white Jeep running around wherever news breaks.

Archived