KTTV Anchor Shake Up

FiveNews

FTVLive reports after a dismal February ratings period, KTTV FOX 11 will make some adjustments to their anchor pairings. Elex Michaelson will move off of GDLA to the 5pm and 10pm news with Christine Devine. Dan Cohen moves from nightside anchoring with Christine to 4:30am-6am anchor with Rita Garcia on GDLA. I doubt this will fix all of KTTVs problems. They need to start with solid reporting and better anchors. Their only true anchor talent that knows the market are Christine Devine, Susan Hirasuna (weekend PM) and Phil Shuman (weekend PM) who also spent many years at KNBC.  Lets not forget KTTV is the only station in the market without a weekend morning news program.

22 minutes ago, FiveNews said:

Lets not forget KTTV is the only station in the market without a weekend morning news program.

Have they ever had a weekend morning show?

Such a different way to approach things than KTVU and KTVU+, which always does a full three hours on weekend mornings even if Fox Sports comes on.

They had Sunday GDLA several years ago. It was anchored by Robb Weller, Nischelle Turner and Elizabeth Espinosa. It has since been cancelled.

Whoa! Just checked GDLAs Wiki page. It says the 6-9am hours of GDLA will be anchored by Tony and Araksya. The 9-10am hour will be anchored by Megan Colarossi and Vanessa Borge.  There was a lot of fanfare when Megan arrived and was paired with Steve Edwards. I believe that much heralded pairing lasted only a week due to Steve Edwards being dismissed amid misconduct allegations. I don't think those allegations were ever proven.

Wow, quick fall for Cohen who's relegated to dawn patrol now. Never was a big fan of his style on the KFMB morning show, and was dubious it would translate well to nightside at KTTV (or anywhere, for that matter).

On the other hand, what a crazy rise for Elex. I think he was hired by XETV right out of USC, then shortly bounced back to LA at KABC before landing at KTTV, and now he's their prime anchor. Lesson for you kids out there: if you want to avoid small-market bullshit for the first 5-7 years of your TV career, better start applying for those student loans for an undergrad degree from Annenberg.

18 minutes ago, caliwxdude said:

On the other hand, what a crazy rise for Elex. I think he was hired by XETV right out of USC, then shortly bounced back to LA at KABC before landing at KTTV, and now he's their prime anchor. Lesson for you kids out there: if you want to avoid small-market bullshit for the first 5-7 years of your TV career, better start applying for those student loans for an undergrad degree from Annenberg.

I am amazed at how far many USC grads go in this industry and frequently underwhelmed by their work performance whenever I run into them.

With that said though, Elex was one of the best hires on KTTV in a long time. His Friday night politics show is pretty good, and I almost think it was a mistake to move him off mornings because that show needs all the help it can get.

Archived