Sponsorships Gone Too Far

who?cares

In the midst of the Alabama tornado outbreak I turned to my trusted South Alabama news source - WSFA. I noticed the attached picture. Which leads to my question when has a sponsorship gone too far? 

4B8898A2-CCF2-40DC-8A08-B77E2D87CDAA.jpeg

Medium/small markets have begun to have their weather departments sponsored and I can't blame them at this point; usually it can be unobtrusive as possible (at least there it just seems understated). When you go into long slogans like 'The 1-800-2SUE-DEM Legal Hammer Weather Center', the 'Dewey Cheatem and Howe Dial all 9's Storm Force', or something that doesn't work, that's when it gets quite awkward. Sponsorships really have to meet the KISS principle, or else the sponsorship will completely backfire.

Hey there! I was actually just about to create a post here for that station but something a little different. First, let me start by saying I’m a newbie to this, just an enthusiast basically. Now, during their broadcast I heard they mentioned the   “Max “ system and the “Baron screen”. So does this mean they are running two separate systems? From what I know all news stations I’ve watched use Max and Baron was just the Radar brand basically. Anyone here able to help me understand or explain?  

Lastly, it goes without saying I hope you’re doing ok. The tornado in that area was absolutely catastrophic. My thoughts go out to those impacted.

Thank you! 🙂

1 hour ago, kmetz said:

Hey there! I was actually just about to create a post here for that station but something a little different. First, let me start by saying I’m a newbie to this, just an enthusiast basically. Now, during their broadcast I heard they mentioned the   “Max “ system and the “Baron screen”. So does this mean they are running two separate systems? From what I know all news stations I’ve watched use Max and Baron was just the Radar brand basically. Anyone here able to help me understand or explain?  

Lastly, it goes without saying I hope you’re doing ok. The tornado in that area was absolutely catastrophic. My thoughts go out to those impacted.

Thank you! 🙂

Yes, all three former Raycom Stations in Alabama do. They use WSI's MAX for normal graphic presentations, then use a Baron product for severe weather. WAFF / WSFA use Fastrac, WBRC uses Lynx. Baron is located in Huntsville. At one point they were all going to switch full time to Lynx. Not sure if that's still the case.

Archived