February 2019 Sweeps Roundup

Georgie56

20 minutes ago, NEOMatrix said:

Depends on if the station is a union shop and known ratings and network approval. IIRC, no CBS affiliate starts at 4am, so that's why WOIO will be the last affiliate to start at 4am in Cleveland. Plus, WOIO is infamously a ratings laggard in the mornings, hence why they were last in expanding to 4:30am. Finally, IIRC WOIO is the only unionized station in Cleveland, hence why the other stations have more leeway with newscasts.

Actually there are a few CBS affiliates that start at 4am (KWTV is among that group)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, NEOMatrix said:

Depends on if the station is a union shop and known ratings and network approval. IIRC, no CBS affiliate starts at 4am, so that's why WOIO will be the last affiliate to start at 4am in Cleveland. Plus, WOIO is infamously a ratings laggard in the mornings, hence why they were last in expanding to 4:30am. Finally, IIRC WOIO is the only unionized station in Cleveland, hence why the other stations have more leeway with newscasts.

I thought WJW and WKYC were too?

Regardless, as our shark said a station has to decide if it's cost-effective labor-wise to add a newscast union shop or not.

WTVF does run a 4 AM and they are a CBS affiliate. I think they might be the only ones. They also run from I think 4-8 (7-8 being on NC5+). But they don't run a noon newscast. They run a 11AM Talk of the Town show, but pretty much after 8AM they are done. 

46 minutes ago, Eat News said:

Most likely it's just a staffing /labor issue.

Do you want to staff an extra 1/2 hour in the morning (for a 4a) or rather use those resources in your 11a or noon shows?

8 hour shifts with 1/2 hour mandated lunch and NO overtime allowed..and the lunch is now a big deal since some recent court rulings.

So you can bring in your tech team early for some crap 4am show...or save that crew to staff your 11am or noon show.

Cost versus Benefit...and there are only so many hours in a day that you have budget for.

When my station added a 4am show all the news folks (reporters, photogs...all editors are part-time) went to 9 hour shifts with an hour lunch break, and they took an engineer away from day shift and moved them to mornings, but didn't add staffing to their original shift (real fun when someone's on vacation). I know ratings aren't everything, but there are a lot of days the 4am doesn't register with Nielsen because there aren't enough people watching!

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/11/2019 at 1:15 PM, Devin said:

What are the numbers for New York City and  Los Angeles?

Todd Griffithe, one of KTLAs Directors (@ToddKTLA on Twitter) tweeted on 3/1 that KTLA was "most watched" at 10pm. Easy win since KTTV and KCAL are trash.  If you guys go back to early March, FTVLive posted how back KCBS ratings are with an image of a ratings report. Not sure if the ratings report was for the day or week or whatever, but if you zoom in, you can see that KTLA and KABC pretty much own the market. I think KNBC came in 2nd at 5pm and 6pm.

5 hours ago, FiveNews said:

Todd Griffithe, one of KTLAs Directors (@ToddKTLA on Twitter) tweeted on 3/1 that KTLA was "most watched" at 10pm. Easy win since KTTV and KCAL are trash.  If you guys go back to early March, FTVLive posted how back KCBS ratings are with an image of a ratings report. Not sure if the ratings report was for the day or week or whatever, but if you zoom in, you can see that KTLA and KABC pretty much own the market. I think KNBC came in 2nd at 5pm and 6pm.

They deserve it. KCBS is super bad and KTTV is, as you said, trash. Despite KCBS being a sister, KCAL looks more decent considering its primetime news offerings.

I agree... KABC and KTLA together would destroy everyone else combined.

6 minutes ago, rkolsen said:

Not sure when this was but it was recently but look at the ratings for Telemundo Miami vs NBC 6 at 6-7a.m.

Thats not a fair comparison... not even remotely...

That’s the Telemundo station saying “look at me!”...

5 minutes ago, ns8401 said:

Thats not a fair comparison... not even remotely...

That’s the Telemundo station saying “look at me!”...

No I get it,  but I imagine if you discount the Spanish language stations I imagine WTVJ would be tied or last.

5 hours ago, rkolsen said:

No I get it,  but I imagine if you discount the Spanish language stations I imagine WTVJ would be tied or last.

That’s true and pretty obvious from the graphic... I was driving at the possibility that the bi-lingual speakers have a choice between all the stations and the other folks don’t so there isn’t a lot of overlap between the audiences... that makes a comparison kind of ridiculous...

Archived