February 2019 Sweeps Roundup

Georgie56

Someone at WWL should be worried about these numbers.  FOX 8 Morning News is what WWL used to be when they didn't aired CBS This Morning. I still want to know

why TEGNA /CBS couldn't come to terms on CBS This Morning, not on WUPL; because look at WFMY's Good Morning. I'm just saying.

We’ve repeated ourselves many times on this subject, but...

CBS wants the full two hours of CTM cleared on all of its affiliates. They want the largest audience they can get for the show. WWL and KUTV preempted the show entirely/moved it to a sister station and only showed the 8am hour of it, respectively. CBS had an issue with both cases and mandated that both stations show the full two hours.

WFMY, KOTV, and WTOC all get away with airing local news after 7am because they show the full two hours of CTM on a one-hour delay, which apparently is good enough for CBS.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/2/2019 at 6:19 PM, NEOMatrix said:

Depends on if Gray can defy reputation and run a top-20 market station, especially since WJW may finally break under Nexstar (or Fox). If Gray can take advantage of Tegna-itis infesting Lakeside, then WOIO will be competitive finally without needing the crutch known as Action News.

With WJW winning and dominating every time slot, how did the other three stations do in each slot.  I know WKYC might have done better in evenings than in mornings.  Their 6pm, 7pm, and 11pm team is way better than their AM team.  WEWS is looking a lot better in all slots at the expense of WKYC.  WOIO, however, I'm curious with after some of their weeknight anchors had left at the beginning of new year's.

On 3/2/2019 at 5:59 PM, NEOMatrix said:

Plus, stations are learning to supplement their newscasts with a presence on said rectangle. Hell, KentBrockman has mentioned that WSMV may experiment with exclusive digital-only stories. The industry is trying to adapt to how we view our media.

Lots of stations do digital only stories, and are beginning to hire digital only reporters and even producers. 

The story out of Atlanta, is one that is becoming a theme. WGCL CBS46 beat WXIA at 11, and often in other time periods too. But the 11pm was a decisive win across the board. WXIA is now 4th at 11.

On 3/1/2019 at 5:13 PM, SoFloTVClassics said:

WPXI tied with KDKA at 11pm in the 25-54 demo?! Way to go! Question is: Will WPXI beat WTAE at 6pm in the next household ratings? They are already #2 in the mornings, 4pm (Judge Judy) and 11pm plus they are tied with WTAE at 5pm (also in households), and they're still third at Noon. We'll see in May. Watch out, WTAE!

WBAL is running spots about their 6 p.m. success in HH and demo.  WJZ was reported #1 at 5 p.m. so a lot of people must be changing the channel at 6.  WBAL is using the tag line “Baltimore’s News Leader” which I think WJZ used before. 

1 hour ago, rkolsen said:

WBAL is running spots about their 6 p.m. success in HH and demo.  WJZ was reported #1 at 5 p.m. so a lot of people must be changing the channel at 6.  WBAL is using the tag line “Baltimore’s News Leader” which I think WJZ used before. 

"WJZ... Baltimore's News Station."

1 hour ago, rkolsen said:

Well their sister station in Boston uses that tagline. WCVB uses "Boston's News Leader". 

KBEX-TV scored an 'All Kill" in the latest ratings period.

KBEX-TV is #1 with all demos...even the stupid ones. KBEX-TV staff was treated to a pizza party courtesy of Pepperoni Pete's Pistol Pizza Parlor.

image.png.09aa992e062c102826dcc0d48e6c08e7.png

7 hours ago, Eat News said:

KBEX-TV scored an 'All Kill" in the latest ratings period.

KBEX-TV is #1 with all demos...even the stupid ones. KBEX-TV staff was treated to a pizza party courtesy of Pepperoni Pete's Pistol Pizza Parlor.

image.png.09aa992e062c102826dcc0d48e6c08e7.png

A.k.a. Pizza Hut. You're welcome.

On 3/2/2019 at 9:20 PM, oknewsguy said:

So overall a novelty name for the process that Tegna puts their stations through to bring them in line with corporate standards, but hyphenated to bypass the wordfilter hasn't affected WWL nearly as bad as what some people on this forum claim it to be. It has affected WWL somewhat but not enough to send WWL to 3rd or 4th place as of yet 

It was way worse the last couple of sweeps period with WWL in third place nearly all slots...and it showed. Maybe the turmoil has simmered down a bit at WWL. I see they're very close with WVUE in a number of slots.

To Buffalo we go...

Last November, WIVB dominated the local news competition. Fast forward to February, WGRZ is back on top. Number one in households in all key time periods and was the winner in the key demographics in most newscasts as well.

https://buffalonews.com/2019/03/06/in-reversal-of-fortune-from-november-channel-2-is-big-winner-in-february-sweeps/

On 3/4/2019 at 10:11 PM, newsman123 said:

The story out of Atlanta, is one that is becoming a theme. WGCL CBS46 beat WXIA at 11, and often in other time periods too. But the 11pm was a decisive win across the board. WXIA is now 4th at 11.

Yay for WGCL (though I’m sure being the host station for Super Bowl LIII had something to do with it)!!!

Meanwhile, WAGA (who turns 70 today (3/8)) recently boasted they’re "North Georgia's Most-Watched Station." I guess that got the folks over at that "Coverage You Can Count On" station into a hissy fit (maybe it was The Masked Singer being a monster hit (no pun intended)).

2 hours ago, johnnya2k6 said:

Yay for WGCL (though I’m sure being the host station for Super Bowl LIII had something to do with it)!!!

Meanwhile, WAGA (who turns 70 today (3/8)) recently boasted they’re “Atlanta’s Most-Watched Station.” I guess that got the folks over at that “Coverage You Can Count On” station into a hissy fit (maybe it was The Masked Singer being a monster hit (no pun intended).

WAGA has been using Atlanta's Most-Watched Station since their CBS days nothing new, but I bet WSB beat WAGA, but maybe WAGA's 10 pm beat WSB's 11 pm news. It has been done before during American Idol run on FOX.   Not surprised by WGCL beating WXIA which has sunk to the abyss.  That 11Alive logo alone is disastrous.  

Business is also as usual in Western Carolinas where WYFF is, once again, #1 across the board. Their article only mentions their newscasts from 4:30-7:00 a.m., 4:00-6:30 and 11:00 p.m. so no word on noon or 10:00 p.m. (which is obvious that WYFF omitted that timeslot since it doesn't produce 10:00 p.m. news of its own).

https://www.wyff4.com/article/wyff-4-starts-the-year-as-the-1-local-station/26574305

2 hours ago, TheRolyPoly said:

Business is also as usual in Western Carolinas where WYFF is, once again, #1 across the board. Their article only mentions their newscasts from 4:30-7:00 a.m., 4:00-6:30 and 11:00 p.m. so no word on noon or 10:00 p.m. (which is obvious that WYFF omitted that timeslot since it doesn't produce 10:00 p.m. news of its own).

https://www.wyff4.com/article/wyff-4-starts-the-year-as-the-1-local-station/26574305

Surprised WYFF hasn't gained a MeTV subchannel 10pm newscast a la many other Hearst stations. I have a feeling that could change when things get closer to the SC Primary.

15 minutes ago, AJClementeFan69 said:

Surprised WYFF hasn't gained a MeTV subchannel 10pm newscast a la many other Hearst stations. I have a feeling that could change when things get closer to the SC Primary.

Or expanded the morning newscast to 4am (I don't think very many Hearst stations do morning news from 4-7am outside of WVTM and a few others)

12 hours ago, TheRolyPoly said:

• KCRA
  • WVTM

That's it.

I'm very surprised at how many stations don't do 4am news, why does Hearst not like having 4am newscasts so much? Is it because they're afraid of someone like Peter Van Zeert (or whoever his name is) attacking the TV stations for replacing syndicated programming with newscasts?

40 minutes ago, oknewsguy said:

I'm very surprised at how many stations don't do 4am news, why does Hearst not like having 4am newscasts so much? Is it because they're afraid of someone like Peter Van Zeert (or whoever his name is) attacking the TV stations for replacing syndicated programming with newscasts?

Most likely it's just a staffing /labor issue.

Do you want to staff an extra 1/2 hour in the morning (for a 4a) or rather use those resources in your 11a or noon shows?

8 hour shifts with 1/2 hour mandated lunch and NO overtime allowed..and the lunch is now a big deal since some recent court rulings.

So you can bring in your tech team early for some crap 4am show...or save that crew to staff your 11am or noon show.

Cost versus Benefit...and there are only so many hours in a day that you have budget for.

22 minutes ago, Eat News said:

Most likely it's just a staffing /labor issue.

Do you want to staff an extra 1/2 hour in the morning (for a 4a) or rather use those resources in your 11a or noon shows?

8 hour shifts with 1/2 hour mandated lunch and NO overtime allowed..and the lunch is now a big deal since some recent court rulings.

So you can bring in your tech team early for some crap 4am show...or save that crew to staff your 11am or noon show.

Cost versus Benefit...and there are only so many hours in a day that you have budget for.

Depends on if the station is a union shop and known ratings and network approval. IIRC, no CBS affiliate starts at 4am, so that's why WOIO will be the last affiliate to start at 4am in Cleveland. Plus, WOIO is infamously a ratings laggard in the mornings, hence why they were last in expanding to 4:30am. Finally, IIRC WOIO is the only unionized station in Cleveland, hence why the other stations have more leeway with newscasts.

Archived