February 2019 Sweeps Roundup

Georgie56

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, oknewsguy said:

Oh, how the mighty has fallen in Dallas with Channel 8. But overall, the Dallas market is actually very competitive.

The Dallas/Fort Worth market is starting to be like Pittsburgh in terms of competitiveness. And competitiveness is something that many of TEGNA's stations (including WFAA) have lost or are losing.

It would be nice if ABC were to buy WFAA. Yes, I know ABC does not buy stations, but they would be an improvement over TEGNA. ABC has even tried (but failed) to buy WJLA right before Sinclair bought Allbritton and Disney executives have also reportedly visited WSB, WFTV, and WSOC after Cox was put up for sale.

4 hours ago, SoFloTVClassics said:

You can see why Nexstar would want to keep WREG but ditch WATN in the process. The station is a ratings juggernaut, and it shows (albeit they're the only station that still gives away money during sweeps).

As for WATN itself, nearly six years after the station got rebooted, they are still struggling.

5 hours ago, SoFloTVClassics said:

Waiting for the south florida ratings to come in.

WSCV continues to dominate in the demos 18-49 and 25-54 during their newscasts, regardless of language.

https://www.nbcumv.com/news/telemundo-51-continues-dominate-south-florida-once-again-ranking-1-news-leader-regardless?search=1&term=WSCV

In Baltimore WJZ appears to have dethroned WBAL at 5pm. That’s all I got and it was through social media so I don’t know the metrics. 

1 hour ago, rkolsen said:

WSCV continues to dominate in the demos 18-49 and 25-54 during their newscasts, regardless of language.

https://www.nbcumv.com/news/telemundo-51-continues-dominate-south-florida-once-again-ranking-1-news-leader-regardless?search=1&term=WSCV

In Baltimore WJZ appears to have dethroned WBAL at 5pm. That’s all I got and it was through social media so I don’t know the metrics. 

The Miami/Fort Laudardale market has an extremely high number of Hispanics. There are more Hispanics than whites (i.e. non-Hispanic whites) in the area due to how close it is to Cuba.

I guess there needs to be as many Cuban restaurants as there are McDonald's and more Pizza Patrons than Pizza Huts in the area (how many Pizza Patrons are there in the Miami/Fort Lauderdale area right now? There were 2 sometime in 2009.). Are you familiar with that chain?

This is pretty good when you consider that Comcast is often the worst company.

I'm really asking: in what other market(s) is a Spanish-language station that dominant? Maybe there has to be at least one Texas market where a Spanish-language station is #1 regardless of language.

5 minutes ago, Conrad said:

The Miami/Fort Laudardale market has an extremely high number of Hispanics. There are more Hispanics than whites (i.e. non-Hispanic whites) in the area.

I guess there needs to be as many Cuban restaurants as there are McDonald's and more Pizza Patrons than Pizza Huts in the area (how many Pizza Patrons are there in the Miami/Fort Lauderdale area right now? There were 2 sometime in 2009.). Are you familiar with that chain?

This is pretty good when you consider that Comcast is often the worst company.

I'm really asking: in what other market(s) is a Spanish-language station that dominant? Maybe there has to be at least one Texas market where a Spanish-language station is #1 regardless of language.

From what I’ve seen Telemundo Houston, they often are #1.

3 hours ago, oknewsguy said:

Oh, how the mighty has fallen in Dallas with Channel 8. But overall, the Dallas market is actually very competitive.

The same can be said with WWL in New Orleans, although their decline is threefold.  Tegna screwing up the place, CBS taking back the 7-9am programming (pushing the local show to WUPL), and WVUE literally becoming the old WWL that New Orleanians have grown accustomed to.  As a FOX affiliate, they have more leeway in scheduling newscasts and are covering the news without all of the gimmickry that Tegna is forcing on them.

I'd be curious to see the Cleveland numbers, because (Tegn*itis)  has taken hold at WKYC and their 15-or-so years of not being a cellar dweller (next to WOIO) may be numbered....

(had to beat the filter on that last line!)

42 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

The same can be said with WWL in New Orleans, although their decline is threefold.  Tegna screwing up the place, CBS taking back the 7-9am programming (pushing the local show to WUPL), and WVUE literally becoming the old WWL that New Orleanians have grown accustomed to.  As a FOX affiliate, they have more leeway in scheduling newscasts and are covering the news without all of the gimmickry that Tegna is forcing on them.

I'd be curious to see the Cleveland numbers, because (Tegn*itis)  has taken hold at WKYC and their 15-or-so years of not being a cellar dweller (next to WOIO) may be numbered....

(had to beat the filter on that last line!)

WKYC is probably #3 right now, with WEWS being #2. WJW remains #1 and WOIO remains #4.

I really wish TEGNA can go back to where they were in the 1980s, 1990s, 2000s and early 2010s as Gannett. That was when they were actually good. Also, it was Gannett who took away WKYC's bad reputation in 2000.

Scripps right now may not be as good as their former self in the 1990s and 2000s, but right now they are better than TEGNA in its current form. WEWS is not as good as they were 25 years ago, although for a while afterwards, WEWS went downhill themselves.

It feels like we're moving back to the WKYC of the 1980s. The station had low ratings at the time (they were under NBC then). However, today I'd like to see NBC buy WKYC; they'd do a better job than TEGNA despite Comcast's bad reputation.

13 hours ago, Conrad said:

WKYC is probably #3 right now, with WEWS being #2. WJW remains #1 and WOIO remains #4.

I really wish TEGNA can go back to where they were in the 1980s, 1990s, 2000s and early 2010s as Gannett. That was when they were actually good. Also, it was Gannett who took away WKYC's bad reputation in 2000.

Scripps right now may not be as good as their former self in the 1990s and 2000s, but right now they are better than TEGNA in its current form. WEWS is not as good as they were 25 years ago, although for a while afterwards, WEWS went downhill themselves.

It feels like we're moving back to the WKYC of the 1980s. The station had low ratings at the time (they were under NBC then). However, today I'd like to see NBC buy WKYC; they'd do a better job than TEGNA despite Comcast's bad reputation.

I'm curious to see how WOIO does under Gray. That could be an improvement, since that seemed like Raycom's ugly stepchild languishing under them.

15 hours ago, Conrad said:

Dude. We get it. You don't like Tegna, or Scripps, or basically any other company. Drop. It.

These companies weren't "better" back in the 80's and 90's. The whole industry was different in the 80's and 90's. It was the golden age of local TV news. Nobody had to compete against a rectangle in your pocket that gives you live news instantly from 300,000 sources. The golden age for local TV has come and gone. We're in a different world.

The industry is struggling. These companies are doing what they can to keep afloat and profitable. Nobody is going to "go back" to producing local news the way it was in the 80's and 90's, and even if they did, it's not going to suddenly make their ratings spike back to the levels they saw back then. That was then, this is now, and the times are a changin'.

41 minutes ago, Weeters said:

Dude. We get it. You don't like Tegna, or Scripps, or basically any other company. Drop. It.

These companies weren't "better" back in the 80's and 90's. The whole industry was different in the 80's and 90's. It was the golden age of local TV news. Nobody had to compete against a rectangle in your pocket that gives you live news instantly from 300,000 sources. The golden age for local TV has come and gone. We're in a different world.

The industry is struggling. These companies are doing what they can to keep afloat and profitable. Nobody is going to "go back" to producing local news the way it was in the 80's and 90's, and even if they did, it's not going to suddenly make their ratings spike back to the levels they saw back then. That was then, this is now, and the times are a changin'.

This times infinity. Thank you.

1 hour ago, Weeters said:

Also, there is no way that the dreams of groups like Free Press of a return to independent ownership will happen (they want the cap hard lowered to 15% and a ban on duopolies). That will kill off many, many stations.

2 hours ago, Weeters said:

We were still in the golden age even in at least most of the 2000s.

When did it end?

What IS bad no matter how you look at it is that Sinclair and Nexstar is much bigger than they once were. They were always bad companies. Heck, Sinclair has gotten even worse than they already were lately. Nexstar has gotten better since buying Media General, but they still are pretty bad.

Sorry for letting us go off-topic though.

5 minutes ago, Conrad said:

We were still in the golden age even in at least most of the 2000s.

When did it end?

The rise of the internet and multiple cable news outlets (1996-ish, for basic reference) and the economic crash in 2008 kind of serve as the bookend range of the beginning of the downfall.

2 hours ago, Weeters said:

Plus, stations are learning to supplement their newscasts with a presence on said rectangle. Hell, KentBrockman has mentioned that WSMV may experiment with exclusive digital-only stories. The industry is trying to adapt to how we view our media.

40 minutes ago, 24994J said:

The rise of the internet and multiple cable news outlets (1996-ish, for basic reference) and the economic crash in 2008 kind of serve as the bookend range of the beginning of the downfall.

I'd say 2008.

I had to do a language arts assignment at school yesterday that had to do with journalism. It showed that sometime in early 1999, 68% of adults watched local news.

However, 2011 was the year when Sinclair's massive buying spree started and also (at least to me) when Scripps' golden age ended. And 2014 was the year when Gannett's golden age ended (at least to me).

But then again Hearst, Graham, and for that matter, Dispatch, are well run and among the closest examples today to local news as it used to be. They are profitable and can continue to exist although they had to make some changes due to the new ways people get their local news that are there.

TEGNA and Scripps may be trying too hard to continue to exist and be profitable. Both companies, despite the fact that they continue to want to buy more stations, seem to be ripe for sale now. Besides, about 2 years ago Nexstar was reportedly interested in buying TEGNA.

Publicly traded companies that do not try to appeal to Wall Street (like Graham) are more successful at delivering products, services, etc. than those that do. TEGNA and Scripps may be companies that are trying to appeal to Wall Street (which usually isn't a great thing).

4 hours ago, GoldenShine9 said:

I'm curious to see how WOIO does under Gray. That could be an improvement, since that seemed like Raycom's ugly stepchild languishing under them.

Depends on if Gray can defy reputation and run a top-20 market station, especially since WJW may finally break under Nexstar (or Fox). If Gray can take advantage of Tegna-itis infesting Lakeside, then WOIO will be competitive finally without needing the crutch known as Action News.

2 hours ago, Conrad said:

But then again Hearst, Graham, and for that matter, Dispatch, are well run and among the closest examples today to local news as it used to be. They are profitable and can continue to exist although they had to make some changes due to the new ways people get their local news that are there.

curious as to how you (think you) know this... last i checked, hearst is privately held and financials aren't public... 

private companies are worse for tv than the public one's... sorry but that is how it is... look at Cox... lack of oversight by investors bloated their stations... now they're on the market... but at least they resisted change... look where that got them...

some of y'all are delusional if u think running stations like it's 1997 is a good thing...

On 3/1/2019 at 4:13 PM, SoFloTVClassics said:

Here's the full numbers from the T-P. The only change from the Nov book is WWL reclaim top spot in HH from 4:30-7am. 

• 4:30 a.m.: WWL, 2.7; WVUE, 2.4; WDSU, 1.6; WGNO (national), 0.7
  • 5 a.m.: WWL, 4.3; WVUE, 3.6; WDSU, 2.5; WGNO, 0.6
  • 6 a.m.: WWL, 5.4; WVUE, 5.3; WDSU, 3.9; WGNO, 0.5
  • 7 a.m.: WVUE, 6.3; WDSU (national), 3.7; WWL (national), 2.7; WUPL, 2.6; WGNO (national), 1.4
  • 8 a.m.: WVUE, 6.7; WDSU (national), 3.3; WWL (national), 2.4; WUPL, 2.1; WGNO (national), 1.4
  • 9 a.m.: WVUE, 5.6; WDSU (national), 2.8; WWL, 1.8
  • Noon: WWL, 9.8*; WVUE, 5.0; WDSU, 2.6; WGNO, 2.4**
  • 4 p.m.: WVUE, 6.7; WDSU; 4.7
  • 5 p.m.: WVUE, 9.8, WWL, 6.6; WDSU, 6.1; WGNO, 1.7
  • 5:30 p.m.: WVUE, 9.1; WDSU (national), 8.0; WWL (national), 6.4; WGNO (national), 2.2
  • 6 p.m.: WDSU, 8.0; WWL, 7.6; WGNO, 1.2; WUPL, 1.1^
  • 9 p.m.: WVUE, 8.1
  • 10 p.m.: WVUE, 8.6; WWL, 7.3; WDSU, 5.1; WGNO, 0.7

Key: *12-12:30 only; ** 11-11:30; ^6:30 to 7

9 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

Here's the full numbers from the T-P.. The only change from the Nov book is WWL reclaim top spot in HH from 4:30-7am. 

• 7 a.m.: WVUE, 6.3; WDSU (national), 3.7; WWL (national), 2.7; WUPL, 2.6; WGNO (national), 1.4
  • 8 a.m.: WVUE, 6.7; WDSU (national), 3.3; WWL (national), 2.4; WUPL, 2.1; WGNO (national), 1.4
  • 5:30 p.m.: WVUE, 9.1; WDSU (national), 8.0; WWL (national), 6.4; WGNO (national), 2.2

So overall TEGNA-itis hasn't affected WWL nearly as bad as what some people on this forum claim it to be. It has affected WWL somewhat but not enough to send WWL to 3rd or 4th place as of yet 

On 3/2/2019 at 7:15 PM, Webovision said:

curious as to how you (think you) know this... last i checked, hearst is privately held and financials aren't public... 

private companies are worse for tv than the public one's... sorry but that is how it is... look at Cox... lack of oversight by investors bloated their stations... now they're on the market... but at least they resisted change... look where that got them...

some of y'all are delusional if u think running stations like it's 1997 is a good thing...

I know Hearst is private.

Cox had to make changes but at least they didn't try too hard and they are also still well run.

TEGNA and Scripps, as I've said, are trying too hard. Meredith, the networks, etc. are better than TEGNA and Scripps right now. They are trying hard, but not too hard.

As for ratings, the Phoenix market (where we live) is not a market in which ratings haven't been posted lately, but I'd say KNXV (despite Scripps ownership) and KSAZ are at the top, while KPNX is at the bottom (unlike where they once were when they were a very dominant #1) due to TEGNA-itis. Tucson is another market in which ratings haven't been posted (at least lately) but I'd say KOLD is #1 there (at least in the past they were #1; maybe they still are).

On 3/2/2019 at 10:20 PM, oknewsguy said:

So overall TEGNA-itis hasn't affected WWL nearly as bad as what some people on this forum claim it to be. It has affected WWL somewhat but not enough to send WWL to 3rd or 4th place as of yet 

That's true but it still affected them because your talking about a station that was dominant (in Loyola and Belo ownership) in every news timeslot in New Orleans for DECADES. Its why it became a shock when WWL lost the 10 p.m. in 2015 for the first time in those DECADES. It then slipped apart from there.

Pittsburgh; very tight in HHs & demos

https://www.post-gazette.com/ae/tv-radio/2019/03/01/Tuned-In-KDKA-WPXI-tie-in-11-p-m-demo-news-ratings-in-February-sweeps/stories/201902280191

On 3/2/2019 at 10:12 PM, CircleSeven said:

Here's the full numbers from the T-P. The only change from the Nov book is WWL reclaim top spot in HH from 4:30-7am. 

Someone at WWL should be worried about these numbers.  FOX 8 Morning News is what WWL used to be when they didn't aired CBS This Morning. I still want to know

why TEGNA /CBS couldn't come to terms on CBS This Morning, not on WUPL; because look at WFMY's Good Morning. I'm just saying.

Archived