WEVV New Graphics

who?cares

It appears WEVV’s 44News in Evansville has picked up the graphics originally commissioned by KPTV. They also picked up Guardian. They previously had Indie-Band. I briefly watched their noon. My only complaint is it appears the OTS covers the bug. 

213B1830-D1AB-4A43-B089-A0D8944E75C5.png

62026B42-3476-4964-A01F-08234E1DB5A1.png

37CA9502-D507-49F1-9D43-0AE7F2707841.png

B0618C56-0FAD-4474-98F0-99F9891D370E.png

B366BCF4-39F9-440F-992A-C1E5F145B5E4.png

E4770421-948B-4387-8725-561CA4B637D9.png

73396A34-607C-4C48-92A9-D8DF35B2150A.png

15 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

I wonder who did these originally....so many Meredith stations have used variants of this package, I thought it was an in-house or custom thing...

I thought I read it was Hothaus. 

9 hours ago, Weeters said:

Keyer priority. The lower third and OTS are on separate key channels, and they're not set up correctly in the switcher.

I'm surprised the bug is being inserted in the control room. Is that common for smaller stations? 

My personal experience is only with stations inserting the bug downstream from the control room (@ master control/hub).

I didn't realize until recently that more than just WGCL has taken on the KPTV graphic look. I liked the graphics at first but some elements are aging pretty quickly.

2 minutes ago, PTVNews said:

I'm surprised the bug is being inserted in the control room. Is that common for smaller stations? 

My personal experience is only with stations inserting the bug downstream from the control room (@ master control/hub).

I didn't realize until recently that more than just WGCL has taken on the KPTV graphic look. I liked the graphics at first but some elements are aging pretty quickly.

That's probably the most common way to do it, but not all stations or graphics packages are created equal. I think a lot of stations are moving to inserting it in control so the web stream will have it. The Tegna graphics package is designed this way, and I believe some Scripps stations insert ticker and bug in the PCR as well.

21 minutes ago, Weeters said:

That's probably the most common way to do it, but not all stations or graphics packages are created equal. I think a lot of stations are moving to inserting it in control so the web stream will have it. The Tegna graphics package is designed this way, and I believe some Scripps stations insert ticker and bug in the PCR as well.

The Scripps station I work at inserts it in Production. So did the Raycom Station I worked at. 

I wonder why those lowers are 4x3 safe, that's the only thing I really hate about that package. Use the whole screen real-estate for f**ks sake. 

Great improvement over what they were using before (the old KYW Hothaus pack I believe?). Color me shocked they're using this when only Meredith stations were using it but then again it was mentioned that this package is over a year old now and no other Meredith station has switched to it. In fact, some have switched to a variation of WFTV's look and others went in other directions. WSMV is using elements from the most recent NBC Artworks O&O pack and putting their own *cough* unique *choke* spin on it.

9 hours ago, Weeters said:

For what it’s worth it appears WMAR inserts both at I assume master control.  For some reason during breaking news cut ins the bug never appears.  And the TEGNA stations don’t really matter about the bug being there with their graphics - AFAIK all have bugs and timers that easily are covered up if content was shared straight off the feed. 

Side note: Do some stations record graphics free feeds as well as the PCR for archival?

On 2/19/2019 at 9:46 AM, KentBrockman said:

I wonder why those lowers are 4x3 safe, that's the only thing I really hate about that package. Use the whole screen real-estate for f**ks sake.

Basic cable perhaps?  That is an unresolved mess between networks, affiliates and the MVPDs.  Some still center-cut, others "squish", and some letter-box.  When people who have a HDTV watch this stretched out (and usually don't know any better), it's going to be either "stretch-o-vision" with or without bad cropping, looking correct but low-res (if it's squished) or letterboxed stretch-o-vision.

It's even above the ad agencies' heads.  They don't know why their ads are being "clipped" by the TV station 🙄

On 2/19/2019 at 8:05 AM, rkolsen said:

Side note: Do some stations record graphics free feeds as well as the PCR for archival?

Apparently so....we discussed it a bit last year. It bugs me that the stations post video without the graphics. It's odd to hear the sound effects but no animations. Lower 3rds are a big part of the Tegna look too.

I don't know if the clean feed is recorded for temporary web usage or if stations actually archive a clean feed. My guess is that they do not considering they usually archive individual video elements themselves and then either a recording of the control room output or on-air feed.

On 2/19/2019 at 7:46 AM, KentBrockman said:

I don't think they are 4x3 safe. It looks misleading in these screengrabs because of the extra black bars, but if the actual VT image was cropped for 4x3, the L3 and bug would get slightly cut off. Even so, there is a bit of room to extend those 2 elements further to the sides if they wanted to.

Archived