Cumulus Sells WPLJ and WNSH/New York, Many More

CaPa

On 5/28/2019 at 11:56 PM, justin2kx said:

Jack Diamond announced today on his morning show that WRQX Mix 107.3 will end on Friday at 7pm with the farewell hour preceding at 6pm. However, the morning show will continue elsewhere. No word on where it'll end up but said an announcement is imminent soon. Video of announcement is in link.

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/177273/jack-diamond-announces-wrqx-sign-off-move-of-morning-show/

The big problem is who in DC might flip formats, especially since while WRQX was a middle-of-the-pack station it brought in a good demographic.

[url="https://ratings.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/arb015"]Looking at the most decent DC radio ratings[/url], the options for someone to take on the current Mix format are very limited:

WIAD: Walked away from the same format as Mix last year, has always been a problem frequency for ARS/Infinity/CBS/Entercom.

WWDC-FM: Killing one heritage station (DC-101 goes back over 40 years) to fill the hole of another (29 years of Mix, 42 including Q-107) might not be a good look. Also, potential overlap with WASH-FM and WIHT down the hall.

WDCH: Are the checks Entercom getting from Bloomberg more than the money they would leave on the table by not reincarnating Mix at 99.1. Also, signal issues in the Virginia side of the market and format overlap with their own sister with the same name in Baltimore.

If I'm Entercom, I'm seriously weighing my options. This really shouldn't have happened, Cumulus was really lazy in this case by at minimum not seeing if Hubbard wanted first crack. 

How is WMAL-FM 105.9 doing? I think that's where Mix and Jack Diamond are going.

Also, you wouldn't possibly celebrate the last day of WPLJ without making some of this?

I'll bet this will be their final song.

13 hours ago, hmaxhanson said:

How is WMAL-FM 105.9 doing? I think that's where Mix and Jack Diamond are going.

Better than what Mix was doing and better than the other ex-ex-ABC talk stations birthed on the AM band. I'm surprised they didn't move that to 107.3 and tossed 105.9 to EMF to be honest but Cumulus seems to be lacking in common sense.

What WPLJ did the past 2 days was amazing. From the reunions yesterday.. to Todd and Jayde this morning (Todd’s emotional sign off) to Race Taylor this afternoon and the sign off. The staff handled it with such class. Such history, and now completely dark with the website down re-directing to WABC and social media all gone. 

Todd and Jayde Final Morning Show Get your kleenex ready towards the end.

https://omny.fm/shows/95-5-plj-todd-jayde-in-the-morning-daily-recap/todd-jayde-in-the-morning-final-farewell-5-31-19?in_playlist=95-5-plj-todd-jayde-in-the-morning-daily-recap!podcast

Reunion Day from Day 1 before finale

Even TM Studios paid tribute to WPLJ in a montage played thru the last days, getting us radio/jingle freaks in the feels.

Full Hour signoff at 6p. 'PLJ raised the bar for station signoffs as far as i'm concerned. Race Taylor was legit.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HhURSzzSlMkCGu_ZVaj-wa7UfL8uY0ig/edit

Editor's Note: the 1st song played under the new K-LOVE format was Broken Things by Matthew West. As expected, Charlie Van Dyke led the way with the intro.

Jack Diamond final show:

WRQX final hour: Can't be embedded but...https://www.facebook.com/JackDiamondShow/videos/2227077687369316/

It seems to me WPLJ's handling + WRQX's handling of signoffs are a world apart. Like i said above, 'PLJ was classy. 'Mix was rather more simpleton even with the 1st voice who introduced the new format 30 years ago closed it out. Nonetheless it was black friday for Radio. RIP to these icons. 

Leaving this at the end with an interesting tweet about the state of radio from .@radioinsight:

4 hours ago, RealNews18 said:

What WPLJ did the past 2 days was amazing. From the reunions yesterday.. to Todd and Jayde this morning (Todd’s emotional sign off) to Race Taylor this afternoon and the sign off. The staff handled it with such class. Such history, and now completely dark with the website down re-directing to WABC and social media all gone. 

Their Twitter handle @955PLJ is still up (as of June 1st, but who knows if it will still be up) , but the last tweet was the sign-off from Todd and Jayne. One of the studios who did jingles for them, TM Studios, saluted PLJ

Archived