Sets that need replacing/oldest sets going

MarkBRollins88_v2
Message added by Weeters

Remember: No lists. If this thread becomes a bunch of lists, it will be deleted.

3 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

The less wood, the better.  A nice, simple set is the one that WDAM in Hattiesburg, Mississippi has (even though the mega-duratrans has the old Raycom look to it). 

WLOX has one, but  it has the classic wood-paneling of an FX set....

This was the typical set design Raycom was using from FX back when it was doing a massive rollout of HD upgrades to its stations, as I recall KAIT and WLBT also received that kind of set. In the case of the latter, they replaced the duratrans with a 6x3 monitor array a few years later.

At least the current incarnations are an improvement in comparison.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/9/2019 at 2:39 PM, TennTV1983 said:

This was the typical set design Raycom was using from FX back when it was doing a massive rollout of HD upgrades to its stations, as I recall KAIT and WLBT also received that kind of set. In the case of the latter, they replaced the duratrans with a 6x3 monitor array a few years later.

At least the current incarnations are an improvement in comparison.

I wish WOIO would have gotten one of these.  Their current set is cramped and has no depth to it.  A total 180 from their "newsroom set" they debuted in 1995 when they launched newscasts.  It more or less lasted into the "Action News" era.

You know a set has reached its end when all you see are tight shots...(or a station that tries to hide as much as possible)

• 1 month later...
On 2/20/2019 at 1:39 AM, mrschimpf said:

Historically, I remember WBAY got by with the same set structure/desk with multiple refacings from the late 80s to their 2012 HD conversion...and the Young HD sets have not aged very well in general for only being under a decade old (really hoping a replacement is in the offing for them and KWQC from Gray). There's only so much you can do to spruce up what was a cheap set-in-a-box design to begin with.

A quick boost to this to say...KWQC indeed debuted their new set this evening...during breaking news coverage of flooding in downtown Davenport, so not really time to show anyone around the new surroundings for obvious reasons.

Ktul desperately needs a new set they have been using the newscenter style since they remodeled and added on to the station in 1999.  The only things they have done to this studio is updated the Storm Center with a new desk and TV monitors and replaced the news desk both of those happened when they went HD and they just added a 12 monitor wall they use for both news stories and weather along with a giant 8 logo.

FB_IMG_1556684106071.jpg

KTULnewsresize2.jpg

CjvfLtXWUAEmUXl.jpg

I know WABC is moving to a new studio in 4-5 years, but the current set is from 2011 and looks mighty tired - it'd be nice if they replaced the monitor walls that have large gaps with seamless LED walls in the meantime. 

It'll be interesting to see whether additional stations with dated news sets get makeovers soon, including with Nexstar-Tribune merger.  I'd imagine TEGNA debuting its cloned set design (seen on KING, KUSA, WUSA, etc.) to a few more stations in 2019 and 2020.

On 3/15/2019 at 8:35 PM, WCAUTVNBC10 said:

KYW needs a new set. It's been around since about 2013 and really hasn't aged all that well. The CBS O&O set would be good for them too especially with the types of newscasts they do.

Agree with KYW needing set makeover.  I'd imagine them getting cloned look of KCBS, WBBM, and WCBS.  Also hope Fox gets around to KDFW as well, after WNYW debuts its new set.

On 4/30/2019 at 11:58 PM, ScottSchell said:

Ktul desperately needs a new set they have been using the newscenter style since they remodeled and added on to the station in 1999.  The only things they have done to this studio is updated the Storm Center with a new desk and TV monitors and replaced the news desk both of those happened when they went HD and they just added a 12 monitor wall they use for both news stories and weather along with a giant 8 logo.

FB_IMG_1556684106071.jpg

KTULnewsresize2.jpg

CjvfLtXWUAEmUXl.jpg

Geez, I didn't realize their stuff was so dated. The desk looks pretty sharp actually, but everything else is just a relic. KTUL doesn't do so hot in Tulsa, do they?

26 minutes ago, MidwestTV said:

Geez, I didn't realize their stuff was so dated. The desk looks pretty sharp actually, but everything else is just a relic. KTUL doesn't do so hot in Tulsa, do they?

They are usually in 3rd behind KOKI and KOTV.

WYFF could stand a new look...it hasn't really aged well. Those white pillars are distracting to me and seem quite harsh against everything else. Aside from an apparent new monitor wall, not much else has changed since it debuted 7 years ago. Frankly, it looked kind of dated when it did debut. It also completely lacks a dedicated interview area. That little curved corner with TVs doesn't look very "homey" and having interview guests stand is awkward. They're surely on Hearst's list. (video can't be embedded)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyrLBCl7tKY

14 hours ago, Daybreak said:

Both WMBF and WPDE could go for an update! WMBF set is coming up on 11 years and WPDE set is coming up on 9 ( two refreshes in 2015 and 2018). 

WMBF has had the same Devlin-designed newsroom set since the station first signed on. And that was during a time when the company was churning out "basic-looking" sets that didn't really age well design-wise compared to the ones they have done over the last few years.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/26/2019 at 11:44 AM, MidwestTV said:

Now that KLKN and WLNE have been sold, I'd imagine Standard Media would want to do a complete overhaul of their looks. When past Citadel stations were sold, their studios were quickly tossed.

WLNE has to be a rare case of a station that got overhauled and got progressively worse. Their set, graphics, music, and overall effort was much better pre-Citadel than it was post-Citadel.

It will take quite a bit of investment, but if Sinclair keeps clipping away at WJAR and Nexstar keeps doing nothing with WPRI, there may be a chance to try to make some noise. 

• 1 year later...
On 3/10/2019 at 9:06 PM, tyrannical bastard said:

I wish WOIO would have gotten one of these.  Their current set is cramped and has no depth to it.  A total 180 from their "newsroom set" they debuted in 1995 when they launched newscasts.  It more or less lasted into the "Action News" era.

You know a set has reached its end when all you see are tight shots...(or a station that tries to hide as much as possible)

WMC got a set 2 years ago. All they ever do now is tight shots. I’ve seen many other stations with similar sets do great things with them.

I was debating whether to put WKYT on this list or not.  It's the same set technically since 2011.  Its had a lot of changes, including two monitor wall. The main one back in 2014. It's held up pretty well with all the changes. 

See the source imagewkyt_set.jpg

New desk. You can still see the old design being the TV's. 

https://www.newscaststudio.com/2014/08/12/lexington-cbs-debuts-refreshed-set-design/

Even the interview areas have improved.  WDKY now uses one of the new video walls for the news.

1 hour ago, edutv9 said:

WFIE has been on the same set since around July/Aug 2009. They have updated the duratrans once or twice, but the wood look is old. Also still on Raycom graphics.

download.jpg

images.jpg

Yeah I would agree with WFIE. Another one that is close by that could use a new set would be Gray's WBKO. 

On 5/6/2019 at 2:30 PM, MidwestTV said:

Sadly no KOTV has a set that is kinda similar to their sister station KWTV, KOKI has had there set since late 2010 and KJRH has had their set since 2011 but refurbished last year to be blue and white and more tv monitors added.

1 hour ago, AaronQ said:

WCCB still haven't upgraded their set for 2 decades now.

maxresdefault.jpg

I believe the current set has been around since 2008.  The "Fox Charlotte" duratrans were replaced with "WCCB Charlotte" ones in 2013. 

On 8/11/2020 at 3:01 AM, Breaking News said:

How many years should tv stations get new updated sets?  FOX 4 in Dallas should be on the list. 

This x1000000

The fact that KDFW, one of Fox’s highest performing stations, is treated as the red headed stepchild is just beyond me. Their building is a dump and their set is the oldest of all the O&O Fox stations now. Ridiculous.

• 4 months later...

We have a new winner in the "oldest set still in use" category.   

While KUSI's set dates back to 1996, there's a set that's one year older that is still being used.   It started at WJLA and has been at WSET since the 2000s. 

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2020/12/22/the-oldest-news-set-in-the-country

While it was Albritton that made this move, Sinclair was a prime offender for many years, and didn't really begin upgrading some of their ANCIENT sets until the HD transition, and in this case, WSET 

Archived