Sets that need replacing/oldest sets going

MarkBRollins88_v2
Message added by Weeters

Remember: No lists. If this thread becomes a bunch of lists, it will be deleted.

Thought I’d start a new discussion to talk about the aging process of sets. What is the oldest set we have going right now? What are some older sets that still look great? What are some newer sets that look old? Who is in need of a new set? Who is rumored to be in process of getting a new set? Post your thoughts and comments here. 

For me personally, the set I most want to see be replaced ASAP is KDFW’s. Absolutely dated beyond belief and that station deserves way more than what it currently has. Any word on the status of their set?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If KXAS / KXTX can get a whole new station, then Fox could show KDFW / KDFI some love.  There was a veeerry slight touch-up/band-aid on the KDFW set in recent months, but it's still the same lipsticked pig.  Don't know what it will take for Fox to quit being cheap and lazy about it though.  Surely after the Disney deal is done?  After what I saw this week with the plywood still tacked up outside, I wonder if HQ even cares at the moment.  Yes, I've harped on about their newsroom more than once in the past, but it really is a mess there also.  Too bad there isn't a temporary space that the reporters/anchors could use while Santa brings them a proper renovation and new set.  Oh, and the south-side office windows (with sidewalk bollards?) so the back-office folks don't have to look at plywood window treatments anymore.

KDFW needs an update too but WNYW is in the largest market in the country an has not had a set update in 13 years. The only thing they have done since the debut is replace the weather authority graphic in the weather center with a banner that reads “FOX 5 NEWS” one new couch and 1 backdrop update that’s it

If there's one set out there that needs to go, it's KUSI's. How old is that set anyway, and why are the McKinnons being so cheap with that operation that they're not willing to invest in modern infrastructure? Everything there is beyond dated at this point.

47 minutes ago, TennTV1983 said:

If there's one set out there that needs to go, it's KUSI's. How old is that set anyway, and why are the McKinnons being so cheap with that operation that they're not willing to invest in modern infrastructure? Everything there is beyond dated at this point.

KUSI’s set goes back to 1996.

Since KDFW and WNYW have been brought up....might as well add WJW to that list as well. 

One of the last acts of Fox management was to give them their current set.  It's lasted through LocalTV AND Tribune....

Maybe Nexstar (or their future owner) will finally take the plunge.  The current set has lasted longer than their two prior ones....the Gil Jimenez one from 85-96 and the next one from 96-07....

On 2/13/2019 at 7:37 PM, Jay Russell said:

KDFW needs an update too but WNYW is in the largest market in the country an has not had a set update in 13 years. The only thing they have done since the debut is replace the weather authority graphic in the weather center with a banner that reads “FOX 5 NEWS” one new couch and 1 backdrop update that’s it

I believe a new set is on the way for WNYW, according to another thread. 

On 2/13/2019 at 8:09 PM, Georgie56 said:

KUSI’s set goes back to 1996.

Nothing wrong with that set.

That set has survived the test of time.  It's very much a part of the KUSI image.

There is NO reason to change it.

Even though the faces presenting the news often change...the set still reminds the viewers of "home".

Very simple and functional , nothing fancy or dated in any way.

A news set does not define the credibility of your operation,  or shape it abilities in any way.  Fancy sets detract from your core functions to present the news.

A set does not decide how stories are covered, or the value of today's news stories as they impact the viewer.

What news value does a new set add except to line the pockets of set designers,  when that money can go for real news gathering resources... like people, equipment and other actual news expenses.

Don't be shocked to see that same set until they leave that building...whenever that may or ever be.

If that set ever became available I would sell it on ebay.

Plus...

Chicks dig that set because it smells like Old Spice.

So I propose it be hereby named...The KUSI John Coleman Memorial Set.

10 hours ago, Eat News said:

Nothing wrong with that set.

That set has survived the test of time.  It's very much a part of the KUSI image.

There is NO reason to change it.

Even though the faces presenting the news often change...the set still reminds the viewers of "home".

Very simple and functional , nothing fancy or dated in any way.

A news set does not define the credibility of your operation,  or shape it abilities in any way.  Fancy sets detract from your core functions to present the news.

A set does not decide how stories are covered, or the value of today's news stories as they impact the viewer.

What news value does a new set add except to line the pockets of set designers,  when that money can go for real news gathering resources... like people, equipment and other actual news expenses.

Don't be shocked to see that same set until they leave that building...whenever that may or ever be.

If that set ever became available I would sell it on ebay.

Plus...

Chicks dig that set because it smells like Old Spice.

So I propose it be hereby named...The KUSI John Coleman Memorial Set.

Any rumblings on that front? Are they looking at a new building. I recall several years ago they were very close to leaving the current building for the skyscraper downtown but McKinnon sold the building. Ever since, nothing has ever transpired.

WRDW in Augusta, GA is using a set complete with duratrans from 2004 and three graphics packages ago. The station is getting a brand new building soon, however.

9 hours ago, KentBrockman said:

WRDW in Augusta, GA is using a set complete with duratrans from 2004 and three graphics packages ago. The station is getting a brand new building soon, however.

The last sentence alone should necessitate that. 

The current set is one of the standard issue sets Gray commissioned back then, and many are still in some form of existence today.

Probably the biggest upgrade has been replacing duratranses with monitor arrays.  These sets live on with these technical upgrades.  All WJHG did was change out their desk, replace the existing duratranses with frosted plastic panels lit by colored LEDs, and install some large flat screen monitors in front of the set.

(this is from their prior look, but has been upgraded graphically to match the new one)

image.png.79dd2167f8093c19c65b58b5b9494019.png

To the viewer at home, a full shot of the anchor shows the graphics behind them, making it look that much different than before.

13 hours ago, RGSJenkins said:

WNEP's set in its current form has been around since 2011, the desk has been there since 2003.

wnep2

2011 isn't necessarily THAT bad if it was designed well and aged well. The desk could stand to be replaced, though. I didn't realize it was that old.

As for sets that need replacing, I vote all Citadel stations (KLKN, WLNE, SNN). Those things were pretty sterile and cheap when they launched like 7 years ago.

1 hour ago, bhratbrat said:

Man, if it was in the early stages of last year we would be talking about WJZ.

And WBBM's 2006 set. Seriously, I vote it as the most underused set EVER due to how mutilated it was for most of its run. May this current WBBM set be used to its utmost potential.

41 minutes ago, Eat News said:

The Shell gas station on my street hasn't had a facade lift since 1985...but people still buy gas there.

The difference is managers know that although there are gas stations everywhere people will go to whichever one is lowest price and on the right side of the road. Where as in news there’s limited sources they need to make a splash and effort which is where flashy graphics and sets go in. But I will say KUSI has flashy in your face graphics.

Historically, I remember WBAY got by with the same set structure/desk with multiple refacings from the late 80s to their 2012 HD conversion...and the Young HD sets have not aged very well in general for only being under a decade old (really hoping a replacement is in the offing for them and KWQC from Gray). There's only so much you can do to spruce up what was a cheap set-in-a-box design to begin with.

On 2/19/2019 at 10:41 PM, Eat News said:

The Shell gas station on my street hasn't had a facade lift since 1985...but people still buy gas there.

I would take a 'pass" on the Shell station corn dogs though.

I bet the gas pumps haven't been upgraded either.  They probably go up to 1.99  (that was a real-world problem back in the day gas cracked $2 a gallon)...

Or if they have, they're probably a target for skimmers for the "pay at the pump" crowd.

I remember WMBB in Panama City didn't ditch the CRT on their set until 2009.  Here's  a circa 2009 screen grab.

image.png.e6262ad41d4c451c01d69833c6a70756.png

Everyone was in awe the day they replaced it with a 16x9 flatscreen.

And their prior set (the skeleton itself) lasted almost 25 years...from 1987 when the station moved there until 2012.  Paint, carpeting, veneers, printed backgrounds and duratranses can totally transform an old set.

These days, it's all plastic, metal and monitors....my god the monitors!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to nominate WSMV to the old sets club. Despite getting their current set in like 2012, it's aged horribly and looks like it's from 2002. Damn FX Group cookie cutter syndicated set design. I've heard through the grapevine though that it's getting replaced sooner rather than later with something much larger and more versatile. It's highly unlikely they will go with FX Group again because (again through the grapevine) management believes they didn't make the best use of the studio space they have and FX cut a lot of corners.

28 minutes ago, KentBrockman said:

I'd like to nominate WSMV to the old sets club. Despite getting their current set in like 2012, it's aged horribly and looks like it's from 2002. Damn FX Group cookie cutter syndicated set design. I've heard through the grapevine though that it's getting replaced sooner rather than later with something much larger and more versatile. It's highly unlikely they will go with FX Group again because (again through the grapevine) management believes they didn't make the best use of the studio space they have and FX cut a lot of corners.

From what I understood at the time when the current set was built in 2012, WSMV was working with a limited budget and had to settle for what they could afford. Even with the technological upgrades that were made over the last few years, their current setup never really aged well compared to the other stations in the Nashville market (two of which had since gotten newer sets).

Fun Set Designer fact:

Set designers design sets that promise to be very "out of date" within 5 years.

Why?

So you have to "upgrade", or build another set much sooner than you used to.

When the average , cheap design and construction runs close to 1 million dollars in a low/medium market...

Smart owners have timeless designs that can last years....hello KUSI.

A news set is nothing more than furniture...and it should always be treated that way because 99.4% of all viewers don't notice the set...and they don't care.

It's a great racket if you are a set designer...

It's supposed to be about the News...not about the furniture.

edwardscbs48.jpg

Yes, the early 2010s era FX sets are not too much to be desired, although some are better than others.

Now-sister station to WSMV, WALA (under LIN ownership) got one in 2012 as well, and it looks very cheap, being mostly plastic and metal. They upgraded the plastic paneling with the current graphics when they switched.

When Meredith was on its "video wall" binge, WALA got one as well, at least WSMV's took over most of the existing set.

The less wood, the better.  A nice, simple set is the one that WDAM in Hattiesburg, Mississippi has (even though the mega-duratrans has the old Raycom look to it). 

WLOX has one, but  it has the classic wood-paneling of an FX set....

Archived