The Frog

lHCCwI0.png

Tonight, the AAF launches with their inaugural game on CBS.

Regular season games will air on CBS Sports Network, NFL Network, TNT, and B/R Live. The championship game will air on CBS.

Full season schedule: https://aaf.com/nfl-network-to-televise-19-alliance-of-american-football

Quick rundown on rule differences vs. the NFL: https://aaf.com/notable-rule-differences-for-the-alliances-inaugural

Who ya got? For me, it's the Commanders.

I'm curious to see how the production will be (will there be consistency between the various broadcasters, or will NFL Network get to drag out its ancient old Thursday Night Football package outside of the Super Bowl world feed and college all-star games once again?)

Edit: Unless they somehow do something different we didn't see at the Super Bowl, it looks like normal CBS everything (though the fact they're special enough to get their own mic flags and logo bug says something. If they're worthy enough to get the normal NFL scoreboard rather than the college one they also use on Arena Football)

Amendment to said edit: No, they're not.

49 minutes ago, ColtFromGulfcoast said:

For me its a tossup between the Commanders and the Express. I always do two teams for everything. Idk why. 

So far, I'm liking the coverage.

There's nothing wrong with having two favorite teams in any sport (I don't do it though) but it's always nice to have a secondary team to root for and as long as you do it the right way, I have no issues with (it's when you root for 2 teams that play in the same conference and/or division that I would take issue with)

They were doing the studio show on the field for the series opener last night, but now that it's day 2 on CBS Sports Network, this is the studio they're using. At first glance, I thought it was a virtual set, but after looking closely at the reflections on the floor, I'm led to believe that maybe it's a real set, but that the lighting is just really poor.

Also, there's a complete lack of CBS logos on the set. Does this set belong to the AAF and not to CBS?

(Edit: my pictures don't do it justice, but the lighting on the talent is absymal. They look like they're being let more by their hair lights and fill lights than they are from their key lights. Their hair and arms are lit more than their faces are.)

IMG_20190210_163957691.jpg

IMG_20190210_164007531.jpg

1 hour ago, Spring Rubber said:

They were doing the studio show on the field for the series opener last night, but now that it's day 2 on CBS Sports Network, this is the studio they're using. At first glance, I thought it was a virtual set, but after looking closely at the reflections on the floor, I'm led to believe that maybe it's a real set, but that the lighting is just really poor.

Also, there's a complete lack of CBS logos on the set. Does this set belong to the AAF and not to CBS?

(Edit: my pictures don't do it justice, but the lighting on the talent is absymal. They look like they're being let more by their hair lights and fill lights than they are from their key lights. Their hair and arms are lit more than their faces are.)

Frelund and O’Hara are NFLN personalities, so I think this is the AAF’s set.

2 hours ago, Spring Rubber said:

I caught a bit of halftime today and to me it looks like it's in front of a green screen. That set/background looks so awful imo

1 hour ago, Mannym13 said:

I caught a bit of halftime today and to me it looks like it's in front of a green screen. That set/background looks so awful imo

Ah ok, is the tracking technology advanced enough now to track the lighting reflections on the floors properly as the camera moves?

This being a virtual green screen set would help explain why it looks so awful. The background does look phony as heck.

It indeed is a virtual set.  And according to this article from Sports Video - CBS Sports had a hand in developing their on-air graphics (ie - expect to see them a lot).

https://www.sportsvideo.org/2019/02/08/at-dawn-of-aaf-era-technological-innovation-drives-live-productions/

There's also going to be a lot of games produced from a central location instead of a truck.

3 hours ago, Ramona said:

Had no idea that studio was here. (Sneaky Big does local commercial production as well and they occasionally air ads.) Also interesting — some of the announcers are also off-site.

Owned by GoDaddy founder Bob Parsons, and a part of his small conglomerate of companies (PXG golf clubs, Yamwood furniture, a Harley-Davidson dealership). Not to mention, run by ruiner of Scripps and TEGNA, Bob Sullivan.

2 minutes ago, TVIntheDesert said:

Owned by GoDaddy founder Bob Parsons, and a part of his small conglomerate of companies (PXG golf clubs, Yamwood furniture, a Harley-Davidson dealership). Not to mention, run by ruiner of Scripps and TEGNA, Bob Sullivan.

I didn't know Parsons owned the furniture company (did on PXG). The ads for Sneaky Big, PXG and Yamwood have an inimitable voiceover talent that I'm posting here because it's these advertisers' calling card:

1 minute ago, Ramona said:

I didn't know Parsons owned the furniture company (did on PXG). The ads for Sneaky Big, PXG and Yamwood have an inimitable voiceover talent that I'm posting here because it's these advertisers' calling card:

I believe that is Bob Parsons' voice.

On 2/10/2019 at 9:46 PM, Spring Rubber said:

Ah ok, is the tracking technology advanced enough now to track the lighting reflections on the floors properly as the camera moves?

This being a virtual green screen set would help explain why it looks so awful. The background does look phony as heck.

Yes they should.  It’s something been done for a while, for example in BBC’s Studio A does it.  At a minimum they make a reflection on their newsdesk.

Archived