Jump to content

Welcome, Guest!

Sign In or Create my Account to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Recommended Posts

lHCCwI0.png

 

Tonight, the AAF launches with their inaugural game on CBS.

 

Regular season games will air on CBS Sports Network, NFL Network, TNT, and B/R Live. The championship game will air on CBS.

 

Full season schedule: https://aaf.com/nfl-network-to-televise-19-alliance-of-american-football

 

Quick rundown on rule differences vs. the NFL: https://aaf.com/notable-rule-differences-for-the-alliances-inaugural

 

Who ya got? For me, it's the Commanders.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm curious to see how the production will be (will there be consistency between the various broadcasters, or will NFL Network get to drag out its ancient old Thursday Night Football package outside of the Super Bowl world feed and college all-star games once again?)

 

Edit: Unless they somehow do something different we didn't see at the Super Bowl, it looks like normal CBS everything (though the fact they're special enough to get their own mic flags and logo bug says something. If they're worthy enough to get the normal NFL scoreboard rather than the college one they also use on Arena Football)

 

Amendment to said edit: No, they're not.

Edited by Viper550

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Go Orlando Apollos! When it comes to sports, I like every team that represents Miami, Orlando and Boston. Always had. Always will.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TheRolyPoly said:

Go Orlando Apollos! When it comes to sports, I like every team that represents Miami, Orlando and Boston. Always had. Always will.

 

That's me with Houston, San Antonio and New Orleans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, ColtFromGulfcoast said:

For me its a tossup between the Commanders and the Express. I always do two teams for everything. Idk why. 

 

So far, I'm liking the coverage.

There's nothing wrong with having two favorite teams in any sport (I don't do it though) but it's always nice to have a secondary team to root for and as long as you do it the right way, I have no issues with (it's when you root for 2 teams that play in the same conference and/or division that I would take issue with)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They were doing the studio show on the field for the series opener last night, but now that it's day 2 on CBS Sports Network, this is the studio they're using. At first glance, I thought it was a virtual set, but after looking closely at the reflections on the floor, I'm led to believe that maybe it's a real set, but that the lighting is just really poor.

 

Also, there's a complete lack of CBS logos on the set. Does this set belong to the AAF and not to CBS?

 

(Edit: my pictures don't do it justice, but the lighting on the talent is absymal. They look like they're being let more by their hair lights and fill lights than they are from their key lights. Their hair and arms are lit more than their faces are.)

IMG_20190210_163957691.jpg

IMG_20190210_164007531.jpg

Edited by Spring Rubber

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Spring Rubber said:

They were doing the studio show on the field for the series opener last night, but now that it's day 2 on CBS Sports Network, this is the studio they're using. At first glance, I thought it was a virtual set, but after looking closely at the reflections on the floor, I'm led to believe that maybe it's a real set, but that the lighting is just really poor.

 

Also, there's a complete lack of CBS logos on the set. Does this set belong to the AAF and not to CBS?

 

(Edit: my pictures don't do it justice, but the lighting on the talent is absymal. They look like they're being let more by their hair lights and fill lights than they are from their key lights. Their hair and arms are lit more than their faces are.)

IMG_20190210_163957691.jpg

IMG_20190210_164007531.jpg

 

Frelund and O’Hara are NFLN personalities, so I think this is the AAF’s set.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Given the L3 there, I will not be surprised if the NFLN games are white-label CBS productions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They just showed highlights from today's game with the CBS graphics during a Super Bowl LIII rebroadcast, so it looks like the NFL Network broadcasts will be produced by CBS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep. I just saw some of the CBS graphics with NFLN branding slapped on them.

 

UPDATE: Here’s the NFLN and TNT version of the scoreboard:

 

1C95A885-0BC1-43D8-921C-C2F82EEB8C51.jpeg

Edited by Georgie56

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Spring Rubber said:

They were doing the studio show on the field for the series opener last night, but now that it's day 2 on CBS Sports Network, this is the studio they're using. At first glance, I thought it was a virtual set, but after looking closely at the reflections on the floor, I'm led to believe that maybe it's a real set, but that the lighting is just really poor.

 

Also, there's a complete lack of CBS logos on the set. Does this set belong to the AAF and not to CBS?

 

(Edit: my pictures don't do it justice, but the lighting on the talent is absymal. They look like they're being let more by their hair lights and fill lights than they are from their key lights. Their hair and arms are lit more than their faces are.)

IMG_20190210_163957691.jpg

IMG_20190210_164007531.jpg

I caught a bit of halftime today and to me it looks like it's in front of a green screen. That set/background looks so awful imo

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mannym13 said:

I caught a bit of halftime today and to me it looks like it's in front of a green screen. That set/background looks so awful imo

Ah ok, is the tracking technology advanced enough now to track the lighting reflections on the floors properly as the camera moves?

 

This being a virtual green screen set would help explain why it looks so awful. The background does look phony as heck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It indeed is a virtual set.  And according to this article from Sports Video - CBS Sports had a hand in developing their on-air graphics (ie - expect to see them a lot).

 

https://www.sportsvideo.org/2019/02/08/at-dawn-of-aaf-era-technological-innovation-drives-live-productions/

 

There's also going to be a lot of games produced from a central location instead of a truck.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had no idea that studio was here. (Sneaky Big does local commercial production as well and they occasionally air ads.) Also interesting — some of the announcers are also off-site.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ramona said:

Had no idea that studio was here. (Sneaky Big does local commercial production as well and they occasionally air ads.) Also interesting — some of the announcers are also off-site.

 

Owned by GoDaddy founder Bob Parsons, and a part of his small conglomerate of companies (PXG golf clubs, Yamwood furniture, a Harley-Davidson dealership). Not to mention, run by ruiner of Scripps and TEGNA, Bob Sullivan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TVIntheDesert said:

 

Owned by GoDaddy founder Bob Parsons, and a part of his small conglomerate of companies (PXG golf clubs, Yamwood furniture, a Harley-Davidson dealership). Not to mention, run by ruiner of Scripps and TEGNA, Bob Sullivan.

 

I didn't know Parsons owned the furniture company (did on PXG). The ads for Sneaky Big, PXG and Yamwood have an inimitable voiceover talent that I'm posting here because it's these advertisers' calling card:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ramona said:

 

I didn't know Parsons owned the furniture company (did on PXG). The ads for Sneaky Big, PXG and Yamwood have an inimitable voiceover talent that I'm posting here because it's these advertisers' calling card:

 

 

I believe that is Bob Parsons' voice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, TVIntheDesert said:

I believe that is Bob Parsons' voice.

 

That explains things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The league has a lot of potential. It’s good football, and unique take on the rules is (extremely) refreshing. Hopefully next season more games make it on CBS — I imagine they can make it fit around some March Madness coverage to give it a little extra boost.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/10/2019 at 9:46 PM, Spring Rubber said:

Ah ok, is the tracking technology advanced enough now to track the lighting reflections on the floors properly as the camera moves?

 

This being a virtual green screen set would help explain why it looks so awful. The background does look phony as heck.

 

Yes they should.  It’s something been done for a while, for example in BBC’s Studio A does it.  At a minimum they make a reflection on their newsdesk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using TVNewsTalk you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.