Gray Television - General Thread

The Frog

1 hour ago, CircleSeven said:

New M&A. Looks like Gray is LP-picking again.

They're acquiring some un-built permits of ten LPs owned by HC2 Holdings for $475K.

• K24NY-D Paragould, AR 
  • W23EF-D Tallahassee, FL 
  • W20DW-D Clarksdale, MS
  • WDDY-LD Jackson, TN 
  • WHJK-LD Jackson, TN 
  • KMZB-LD Amarillo, TX
  • K31PR-D Tyler, TX 
  • W33DH-D Eau Claire, WI
  • W14ER-D Eau Claire, WI
  • W31EV-D Wausau, WI

Jackson, TN? They don't have a station there. Bahakel (WBBJ) would be a tough purchase too as they conflict everywhere else.

Also Clarksdale is in the Greenville, MS market? Unless they are buying WABG and company, that makes no sense too.

4 hours ago, mvcg66b3r said:

The Paragould and Jackson LPTVs can't relay WMC because those markets already have NBC affiliates.

Paragould? Doesn't KAIT (owned by Gray) cover that area? So they can just relay KAIT...

Edited by Yankees4life

On 3/12/2021 at 9:52 PM, GoldenShine9 said:

Jackson, TN? They don't have a station there. Bahakel (WBBJ) would be a tough purchase too as they conflict everywhere else.

Also Clarksdale is in the Greenville, MS market? Unless they are buying WABG and company, that makes no sense too.

Coahoma County which Clarksdale, MS is located in, does actually belong to the Memphis DMA. 

Also Cox owns both WABG in Greenville  and WHBQ in Memphis, so I wouldn't see Gray picking up that cluster. 

Some of these Gray pickups could be 3.0 related.  As for the ones in the Greenville-Greenwood DMA, it wouldn't surprise me to see Gray pick up an affiliation or two since Cox owns the entire market.  NBC being the likeliest since it's low power, and adjacent to WMC in Memphis and WLBT in Jackson, two stations that could be used to relay NBC to the market via Gray.

As for the two stations in Jackson, their NBC affiliation is owned by SagamoreHill...the same people who SSAed themselves to Gray in Columbus, GA with WLTZ.  Enter WMC possibly again to take over these stations....

Speaking of relaying Gray, does KAIT's NBC subchannel still air some of WMC's newscasts?  WMC was the default station there before KAIT also got NBC for the market.

Edited by tyrannical bastard
Jackson, TN

19 hours ago, Nelson R. said:

Ooops 

Modern technology 😂🤣

I'll sure miss that when the pandemic is over 😂🤣

3 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Some of these Gray pickups could be 3.0 related.  As for the ones in the Greenville-Greenwood DMA, it wouldn't surprise me to see Gray pick up an affiliation or two since Cox owns the entire market.  NBC being the likeliest since it's low power, and adjacent to WMC in Memphis and WLBT in Jackson, two stations that could be used to relay NBC to the market via Gray.

As for the two stations in Jackson, their NBC affiliation is owned by SagamoreHill...the same people who SSAed themselves to Gray in Columbus, GA with WLTZ.  Enter WMC possibly again to take over these stations....

Speaking of relaying Gray, does KAIT's NBC subchannel still air some of WMC's newscasts?  WMC was the default station there before KAIT also got NBC for the market.

No. KAITDT-2 only simulcast the newscasts from KAITDT-1

Edited by Yankees4life

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, GodfreyGR said:

Question- Does Gray hub master control for their stations? NY or TX to be exact? This is what happened on Saturday in Fargo when they tried going to Jeopardy...

Or is it just a misfire over at KVLY?

IMG_0588.MOV

That looks like their playlist had the wrong source or satellite wasn't tuned to the right spot.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, GodfreyGR said:

Question- Does Gray hub master control for their stations? NY or TX to be exact? This is what happened on Saturday in Fargo when they tried going to Jeopardy...

Or is it just a misfire over at KVLY?

IMG_0588.MOV

More than likely the latter; that almost looks like a CBS test pattern to me (I've seen this happen on occasion in the seconds leading up to the start of the "CBS Evening News").....

• Like 2

4 hours ago, J1975am said:

More than likely the latter; that almost looks like a CBS test pattern to me (I've seen this happen on occasion in the seconds leading up to the start of the "CBS Evening News").....

It is a CBS test pattern. WCIA (which streams most of the CBS' special reports on its YouTube channel) had a stream of CBS' coverage of Trump's second impeachment trial and after the coverage ended, they kept the stream going for a few more minutes, and it displayed the same test pattern.

In this case, KXJB probably accidentally switched to the network feed when they intended to air Jeopardy.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

Looks like they're starting to replace the Raycom templates for the Gray ones (KCBD). 

Interesting you bring KCBD up. It's not the site design itself that interests me but rather the new "Meet the Team" page. https://www.kcbd.com/page/about-us/

It shows the integration of KJTV's team into KCBD's. Who made the cut, and who was let go. New bio pics in front of the KCBD set too... 🤔

On 5/24/2021 at 7:21 PM, CircleSeven said:

Back to website watch.

Looks like they're starting to replace the Raycom templates for the Gray ones (KCBD, KLTV, KSWOKFDA). 

That should make it clear that the Quincy and Meredith stations will probably get the Gray legacy station template.

A few more: KAUZ, KOLD, KEYC.

Edited by GoldenShine9