Jump to content

Welcome, Guest!

Sign In or Create my Account to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.
The Frog

Gray Television - General Thread

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

All I have to say is holy conflict in many places and that Gray kills the TEGNA-itis with fire!!!

Amen to that! I'm actually rooting for this to happen so that TEGNA-itis can die a horrible death!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tjt24 said:

Amen to that! I'm actually rooting for this to happen so that TEGNA-itis can die a horrible death!

Here's hoping "WKYC Studios" meets it's maker and that someone good gets WOIO-WUAB....

 

...that is, if the deal happens.....

serious the simpsons GIF

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really hate Gray's streaming protocol, so I'm hoping this doesn't happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Starting Monday (April 6), Full Court Press will launch a special coronavirus-focused weeknight edition to be anchored by regular host Greta Van Susteren (who will present from an in-home studio) and WVUE anchor Lee Zurik (who will host from New Orleans).

 

The program, to be titled Full Court Press Now, will air most of Gray’s stations; no word on if it will air on non-Gray stations that carry the main weekend program (like KOCO in my hometown, which carries Full Court Press early Sunday mornings before the 5:00-7:00 block of their weekend morning newscast).

Edited by T.L. Hughes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, T.L. Hughes said:

Starting Monday (April 6), Full Court Press will launch a special coronavirus-focused weeknight edition to be anchored by regular host Greta Van Susteren (who will present from an in-home studio) and WVUE anchor Lee Zurik (who will host from New Orleans).

 

The program, to be titled Full Court Press Now, will air most of Gray’s stations; no word on if it will air on non-Gray stations that carry the main weekend program (like KOCO in my hometown, which carries Full Court Press early Sunday mornings before the 5:00-7:00 block of their weekend morning newscast).

 

I'm guessing at least some of the non-Gray stations will air it, particularly those owned by independents or those who don't have significant overlap with Gray.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, GoldenShine9 said:

It's not a blockbuster, but...maybe Southeast Alaska will finally get its own local news?

 

https://www.kinyradio.com/news/news-of-the-north/gci-announces-sale-of-tv-stations-in-southeast-markets/

 

I really hope so, but I think that KATH/KSCT will probably just continue with the KTUU simulcasts that they currently have, at least in the near term. But this does make a lot of sense; now Gray has an NBC monopoly in Alaska.

 

One thing I know that Gray will do: fix the stations' websites!

 

EDIT: Paperwork is up. Purchase price: $1.5 million.

Edited by NewsMaster
Added stations' websites and FCC filing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, NewsMaster said:

One thing I know that Gray will do: fix the stations' websites!

I felt physical pain looking at these sites. Wowza.

 

I'm not familiar with anything in the realm of Alaska TV. Does the Juneau market even bother with local newscasts, or is it just simulcasts of Anchorage/Fairbanks newscasts with local news sprinkled in as necessary? I can't imagine trying to build out what amounts to a new operation in the current climate, unless it's something that the locals would 100% buy into.

 

Buy now, build later?
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, TheGuru said:

I felt physical pain looking at these sites. Wowza.

 

I'm not familiar with anything in the realm of Alaska TV. Does the Juneau market even bother with local newscasts, or is it just simulcasts of Anchorage/Fairbanks newscasts with local news sprinkled in as necessary? I can't imagine trying to build out what amounts to a new operation in the current climate, unless it's something that the locals would 100% buy into.

 

Buy now, build later?
 

 

As far as I know, there are no local inserts on any of the SE Alaska stations of any kind; all of the news comes from each of the stations' corresponding network affiliates in Anchorage (KATH/KSCT from KTUU, CBS Southeast from KTVA, and KJUD from KYUR/KTBY).

 

There is one other significant factor that probably prevents a local news operation in SE Alaska: the region's geography. Getting between Juneau and anywhere else requires boat or plane. On top of that, there are no cities and towns in the region that are accessible from the rest of Alaska or Canada by road, except for Haines, Skagway and Hyder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, NewsMaster said:

 

As far as I know, there are no local inserts on any of the SE Alaska stations of any kind; all of the news comes from each of the stations' corresponding network affiliates in Anchorage (KATH/KSCT from KTUU, CBS Southeast from KTVA, and KJUD from KYUR/KTBY).

 

There is one other significant factor that probably prevents a local news operation in SE Alaska: the region's geography. Getting between Juneau and anywhere else requires boat or plane. On top of that, there are no cities and towns in the region that are accessible from the rest of Alaska or Canada by road, except for Haines, Skagway and Hyder.

 

That is one other challenge. They would need to have at least a couple reporters in each community or region working from home (or perhaps a small office in Sitka and Ketchikan), although they could remotely report the stories up to the anchors in what would most likely be Juneau.

Edited by GoldenShine9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GoldenShine9 said:

 

That is one other challenge. They would need to have at least a couple reporters in each community or region working from home (or perhaps a small office in Sitka and Ketchikan), although they could remotely report the stories up to the anchors in what would most likely be Juneau.

 

Definitely possible. It's also worth noting that Gray is by far the largest company to ever own a Juneau television station, so for the first time, there's a company that at least appears to have the resources needed to start a news operation in the market. We shall see...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/29/2020 at 7:09 PM, NewsMaster said:

 

I really hope so, but I think that KATH/KSCT will probably just continue with the KTUU simulcasts that they currently have, at least in the near term. But this does make a lot of sense; now Gray has an NBC monopoly in Alaska.

 

One thing I know that Gray will do: fix the stations' websites!

 

EDIT: Paperwork is up. Purchase price: $1.5 million.

Holy shit. That site is a blast from the past. Talk about neglect 🤣😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 5/29/2020 at 6:09 PM, NewsMaster said:

 

 

One thing I know that Gray will do: fix the stations' websites!

They’re gonna have to put a LOT of work into those websites! That site is so far behind the times, it’s pathetic!

 

Reminds me of when I worked in radio in the 2000s, the AM station I worked at was still using reel-to-reel and cart machines, and using a severely outdated computer system for automation on the FM side! Both stations have since been sold: the AM is now an EWTN Radio affiliate, and the FM is now a country station (one of 4 in the market)!! 

Edited by J1975am

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 6/12/2020 at 10:20 PM, BobW said:

WKYT has launched the new website design also. https://www.wkyt.com

 

I also noticed that WTOK has it, as does KALB, KCRG, KWTX, WBKO, WVLT and WYMT.

Edited by GoldenShine9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Legacy Gray stations are switching to Washington Post ARC from Clickibility, which is the same platform the former Raycom stations currently use. While all the former Raycom stations have the same basic design, the Legacy Gray stations are keeping the "look" of their former Clickiblity but the underpinnings are now from ARC. The main thing you notice is the Weather Pages from Legacy Gray and former Raycom are the same basic design. It has yet to be seen if the former Raycom stations will switch their design to fall in line with the Legacy Gray stations or not. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using TVNewsTalk you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.