Jump to content

Welcome, Guest!

Sign In or Create my Account to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.
CRThell

Gray Television - General Thread

Recommended Posts

Circle is on in DFW, KTXA (21.4) has it.  I checked before 5am this morning, they were airing Hee Haw. I checked TitanTV also and Circle is listed; hopefully the schedule is correct.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Circle is supposed to be on WBFS 33.5. Nope! Not this morning. I can't check Gainesville and WCJB 20.4 since I'm not there today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Day 2: I got Circle now up and running on WBFS 33.5. Its in 480i 16:9 widescreen, just like WBFS' other subchannels.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is really interesting.  

 

Remember Rockford, IL CBS station WIFR gave up its full-power signal during the spectrum auction? Its now on a LP signal.

 

Back in November, it moved from its out-of-core RF 41 signal for RF 28. And after that move, viewers in the northeastern portion of the area complained that it can't get the new signal. RF 28 is also used in adjacent markets (WISN Milwaukee & WEDE Chicago). So after a few days, it temporary went back to RF 41.

 

Starting Wednesday (1/15), the station is going back to RF 28 signal. But it has also announced that Weigel Broadcasting's WFBN-LD (RF 23) will simulcast WIFR's main signal on virtual channel 23.11.

 

If this sounds familiar, that's because Weigel has also simulcasted Chicago's CBS-owned outlet WBBM for about a few years on WMEU-CD 48.3. This is due to some viewers who aren't able to receive WBBM's main VHF signal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

This is really interesting.  

 

Remember Rockford, IL CBS station WIFR gave up its full-power signal during the spectrum auction? Its now on a LP signal.

 

Back in November, it moved from its out-of-core RF 41 signal for RF 28. And after that move, viewers in the northeastern portion of the area complained that it can't get the new signal. RF 28 is also used in adjacent markets (WISN Milwaukee & WEDE Chicago). So after a few days, it temporary went back to RF 41.

 

Starting Wednesday (1/15), the station is going back to RF 28 signal. But it has also announced that Weigel Broadcasting's WFBN-LD (RF 23) will simulcast WIFR's main signal on virtual channel 23.11.

 

If this sounds familiar, that's because Weigel has also simulcasted Chicago's CBS-owned outlet WBBM for about a few years on WMEU-CD 48.3. This is due to some viewers who aren't able to receive WBBM's main VHF signal.

 

Weigel and Gray seem to have got along quite well too. I know, except in South Bend where Gray already owns WNDU, all their stations also run Greta's show and they may have news connections to them too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So follow-up regarding the KCPM deal, which has been going on for almost two years.

 

They posted an amendment tonight and they're now in a process of filing a "failed station waiver" to acquire the station. 

 

This is because FCC ordered last month to go back enforcing the 2016 ownership rules after the Third Circuit struck down Pai's 2017 dereg order last fall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

So follow-up regarding the KCPM deal, which has been going on for almost two years.

 

They posted an amendment tonight and they're now in a process of filing a "failed station waiver" to acquire the station. 

 

This is because FCC ordered last month to go back enforcing the 2016 ownership rules after the Third Circuit struck down Pai's 2017 dereg order last fall.

Since this deal was announced, Raycom, WWNY, KECY, and WVIR have come and gone, among others. Should this deal not happen, my logic says that KCPM along with KXJB should go to Nexstar thus placing the KX stations back under one roof.

Edited by JCB4TV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, JCB4TV said:

Since this deal was announced, Raycom, WWNY, KECY, and WVIR have come and gone, among others. Should this deal not happen, my logic says that KCPM along with KXJB should go to Nexstar thus placing the KX stations back under one roof.

What? Gray is not stupid to give up an LP station/CBS affiliation to a group that's not even in the market. I'm sure if the KCPM deal falls through, the market will stay a status quo. It would be a better chance that KCPM would be shut down completely than to be acquired by another broadcaster.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe someone could clarify for me., As part of the agreement for acquisition of KCPM it can not become a top 4 station since KVLY is one, so with that logic would it be possible for it to take the CBS affiliation or could it if it was a sub channel of 27? or could it do CW on 27.1 and CBS on 27.2 since the CW is the lower rated network and not on a full power stick? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As of now, KCPM is not a top-4 ranked station in Fargo. KVLY is a top-4 outlet. But because of the reinstatement of eight voice test (which mean it suppose to have 8 unique owners after a deal is completed), Gray can't acquire KCPM without acquiring the "failed station waiver". The 8-voice test was nullified under Pai 2017 dereg order, until the courts vacated that order back in September.

 

It would be speculative to say which programming (either new or existing) to be moved to KCPM, since they haven't made any post-closing plans. But they do plan to change the callsign of KCPM to KXQK once the deal is over.

 

Here what they said in the press release almost two years ago:

Quote

After FCC approval and closing in a few months, KVLY will rebuild and upgrade KCPM so that it can serve the entire Fargo market. Over the coming months, station management “will evaluate the best programming to broadcast over this station and will be selecting new call letters, according to KVLY.

When they'd announce they were acquiring KNCT in late Summer 2018, they didn't announce that they were going to move The CW from KWTX to that stick under the deal was already finalized.  

 

But the question is why the deal is still pending almost two years after the deal has been announced? The FCC could've easily gave this deal a greenlight, given the regulatory relief throughout most of that time. That's because the deal was challenged by the current owners of KRDK-TV (which was the former KXJB-TV). They say that the current owners of KCPM kept the signal off the air for more than a 12 month period. And that would trigger an automatic forfeiture of the station's license, if it stays off the air for a full calender year. So in their eyes that station's license should be revoked.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using TVNewsTalk you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.