Gray Television - General Thread

The Frog

Gray has applied for the WSVW-LD call letters for an LPTV they are buying in Harrisonburg, VA, currently W30CT-D. That LPTV is a translator for WVIR, and along with W22EX-D Staunton, is being acquired alongside that station.

With the acquisition of this translator, Gray becomes the only network operator in Harrisonburg. It already provides ABC (WHSV) and CBS/Fox (WSVF).

This is interesting: KEYC and WWNY, acquired through the United purchase, have had their website changed - to the 2018 Raycom style (which was adapted while the Gray acquisition was underway, including to stations that were divested - which have mostly changed a second time). It means we can assume that website look is going to be the primary Gray design moving forward, although I haven't seen any legacy Gray stations receive it yet.

Edited by GoldenShine9

1 minute ago, GoldenShine9 said:

This is interesting: KEYC and WWNY, acquired through the United purchase, have had their website changed - to the 2018 Raycom style (which was adapted while the Gray acquisition was underway, including to stations that were divested - which have mostly changed a second time). It means we can assume that website look is going to be the primary Gray design moving forward, although I haven't seen any legacy Gray stations receive it yet.

Yikes

As previously mentioned on the shoutbox on discord...

Gray is restoring an American television tradition with the playing on the national anthem, though it will mostly be played during the overnight hours when most of us are sleeping. Most stations are airing it at around 4am local time to signal the start of their broadcasting day. You may wanna check your local Gray station's stories on their website to find out when it will air.

https://www.graydc.com/content/news/Gray-Television-stations-to-air-national-anthem-510982882.html

Its been a tradition for years at KBTX.

https://www.kbtx.com/content/news/510985202.html

6 minutes ago, TheRolyPoly said:

As previously mentioned on the shoutbox on discord...

Gray is restoring an American television tradition with the playing on the national anthem, though it will mostly be played during the overnight hours when most of us are sleeping. Most stations are airing it at around 4am local time to signal the start of their broadcasting day. You may wanna check your local Gray station's stories on their website to find out when it will air.

https://www.graydc.com/content/news/Gray-Television-stations-to-air-national-anthem-510982882.html

Its been a tradition for years at KBTX.

https://www.kbtx.com/content/news/510985202.html

I wonder if the border stations like WAGM and KGNS will play more than one anthem?

4 minutes ago, GoldenShine9 said:

I wonder if the border stations like WAGM and KGNS will play more than one anthem?

You can count WCAX in there too but my thinking is... no. American stations from an American company, probably only playing the American national anthem.

This just strikes me as pandering. If you want to do it, do it. But to post a story on each station’s website and presumably also run stories on air? “Look at us!!! The other stations in town are unpatriotic!!!” You’re starting to sound like Sinclair Junior. Hiring Greta certainly doesn’t help with that impression either. 

I'm staying with my aunt and uncle on Anna Maria Island right now, and it should be noted that WWSB never switched to the last Raycom package and is STILL using the graphics they had under its last years with Calkins! I would assume Gray will soon replace it with one of their packages?

Edited by hmaxhanson

16 minutes ago, hmaxhanson said:

I'm on Anna Maria Island right now, and it should be noted that WWSB never switched to the last Raycom package and is STILL using the graphics they had under its last years with Calkins! I would assume Gray will soon replace it with one of their packages?

I would assume the same, and given its age, it would probably be one of the first priorities (after WOIO which needed more than a graphical change).

• Like 1

19 hours ago, TheRolyPoly said:

You can count WCAX in there too but my thinking is... no. American stations from an American company, probably only playing the American national anthem.

WCAX probably is the most dependent on foreign viewership of the three, four counting WWNY. I can't speak to KGNS carriage in Mexico but of the Gray stations that have cable carriage in Canada WCAX is the only one also carried in HD.

Anglophone Quebec plus far eastern Ontario is more than twice the size of its actual DMA.

Edited by scrabbleship

15 minutes ago, scrabbleship said:

WCAX probably is the most dependent on foreign viewership of the three, four counting WWNY. I can't speak to KGNS carriage in Mexico but of the Gray stations that have cable carriage in Canada WCAX is the only one also carried in HD.

Anglophone Quebec plus far eastern Ontario is more than twice the size of its actual DMA.

I know KGNS is the only Gray-owned station located in a position that its signal easily gets into Mexico; Gray is absent from the other 4 markets that directly abut the border (Brownsville, El Paso, San Diego and Yuma), while Tucson is too far to get much coverage. The northern Plains stations don't really penetrate into Canada either signal-wise.

KGNS (and its major subchannels) are all on cable in Nuevo Laredo, and the city-grade signal definitely gets there. Not sure how far into Mexico they get though.

Edited by GoldenShine9

18 minutes ago, scrabbleship said:

I believe that one point, back in the day WCAX & WPTZ each had sales offices in Montreal and used said city as one of cities in their legal ID.

WCAX - Burlington, Plattsburgh, Montreal

WPTZ - North Pole, Plattsburgh, Burlington, Montreal

Edited by JCB4TV
Neatness

5 hours ago, hmaxhanson said:

I'm staying with my aunt and uncle on Anna Maria Island right now, and it should be noted that WWSB never switched to the last Raycom package and is STILL using the graphics they had under its last years with Calkins! I would assume Gray will soon replace it with one of their packages?

Don't forget the set, the bones of which are the same as when the station switched buildings back in 2001. It's had significant refreshes since, obviously...but still. And it took them how long to go HD? This is a station needing some serious TLC. It's amazing how cutting-edge they looked for a small-market station back when they moved...and how Calkins essentially let it languish.

Screen_Shot_2019-06-10_at_2_05.47_AM.png

Screen_Shot_2019-06-10_at_2_07.23_AM.png

On 6/9/2019 at 12:50 AM, GoldenShine9 said:

Ugh. I was just thinking the other day that Gray's "own" stations have the better website designs.

WVUE is expanding its news to weekend mornings (finally!!!), starting July 6. Weekday morning assignment reporter Josh Robertson will anchor the two-hour broadcast (running from 6:00 to 8:00 a.m.), with Zack Fradella (previously with sister station KPLC) joining the station as a meteorologist for the weekend morning newscasts. WVUE vice president and general manager even noted that it was long due that the station venture into weekend morning news, “This is the next logical step for Fox 8. Frankly, it is overdue. It is our duty to provide our viewers with quality news and information they need and deserve, seven mornings a week, not just five. We’ve wanted to do this for some time. Now we are going to make it happen.”

29 minutes ago, T.L. Hughes said:

WVUE is expanding its news to weekend mornings (finally!!!), starting July 6. Weekday morning assignment reporter Josh Robertson will anchor the two-hour broadcast (running from 6:00 to 8:00 a.m.), with Zack Fradella (previously with sister station KPLC) joining the station as a meteorologist for the weekend morning newscasts. WVUE vice president and general manager even noted that it was long due that the station venture into weekend morning news, “This is the next logical step for Fox 8. Frankly, it is overdue. It is our duty to provide our viewers with quality news and information they need and deserve, seven mornings a week, not just five. We’ve wanted to do this for some time. Now we are going to make it happen.”

Sounds like Gray is trying to actually work the station, even though a lot of their lead is due to the self-destruction of WWL.

29 minutes ago, T.L. Hughes said:

That article mentioned that they air Fox News Sunday at 6am. How is that possible when the show is live at 9am ET?

1 hour ago, T.L. Hughes said:

I went to school with Robertson at one point. Good to see a buddy of mine making it. 

WOIO and WUAB is adding a new local weekday talk show this fall hosted by former Cleveland Browns player Josh Cribbs and his wife Maria.  It will be called "Cribbs in the CLE: Josh and Maria Live."  It will air on WOIO at 9 until 9:30am, and will repeat from 7 until 7:30pm on WUAB.

12 minutes ago, CLETVFan said:

WOIO and WUAB is adding a new local weekday talk show this fall hosted by former Cleveland Browns player Josh Cribbs and his wife Maria.  It will be called "Cribbs in the CLE: Josh and Maria Live."  It will air on WOIO at 9 until 9:30am, and will repeat from 7 until 7:30pm on WUAB.

After watching the video, I'm pleasantly surprised to see how polished his wife is.  This has the potential to be good - but I fear the production value may hold it back...

1 hour ago, CLETVFan said:

Keeping it at a half hour seems wrong. Should be a full hour.

4 hours ago, CLETVFan said:

Now what happens to Sunny Side Up?

• 2 weeks later...