Gray Television - General Thread

The Frog

10 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

Part of the Schurz deal in 2015. Although they did not swap their incumbent WNDU for Schurz flagship WSBT. But neither one were underdog stations like KAKE.

I believe WNDU was (and still is) the market leader in South Bend. KAKE has always been a distant third place station behind KWCH and KSNW (they tend to go back and forth).

20 hours ago, GoldenShine9 said:

I believe WNDU was (and still is) the market leader in South Bend. KAKE has always been a distant third place station behind KWCH and KSNW (they tend to go back and forth).

I'm not sure if it's true now, but WSBT was the market leader for years under Schurz's ownership.  

• Like 1

Charlottesville changes (according to Wikipedia which has links to the FCC stuff).

WVIR

• Will gain a sister station in WAHU-CD "Wahoo" FOX 27 as Gray will retain that station and will only sell the WCAV/WVAW duo.
  • This means that WVIR will more likely move its nightly 10:00 p.m. news from its third subchannel to WAHU.

WCAV/WVAW

• Will drop the WAHU simulcast on 19.3 once the sale goes through.
  • Gray was not able to retain the Me-TV (27.2) and AccuWeather (27.3) affiliations. Therefore, they've both been moved to WVAW and air on 16.2 and 16.3, respectively.

The Me-TV thing, I don't get but I do get the AccuWeather thing since Gray is picking up a station that already carries a weather channel in WeatherNation (29.2).

On 2/12/2019 at 11:52 AM, CircleSeven said:

Looks like NBC will come back to channel 5 in central Nebraska.

The FCC has greenlighted the KNHL deal and allow them to operate it as a satellite of KSNB.

Gray completed the KNHL sale on March 1st. But the consummation notice was posted tonight.

But not sure when the station will restart carrying NBC on channel 5 for the first time in five years.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/28/2019 at 7:47 AM, mrschimpf said:

Looks like Gray is ramping up a competitor to the Sunday morning shows (and Full Measure). They've hired Greta van Susteren as a national political analyst with two shows in development, along with being in the Gray DC bureau's live/tape hits to their stations.

While Full Measure had limited syndication outside of the Sinclair group (the only station outside the group I recall airing the program was KAZT in Phoenix to pair with a locally-produced show hosted by a local right-wing radio host, but they no longer air it), van Susteren's new show (now named Full Court Press) is being shopped around by an outside distributor. Two non-Gray markets (Chicago and Milwaukee...Weigel?) have signed on so far. Hearst has had better luck distributing Matter of Fact with Soledad O'Brien outside their owned station footprint, even though that program slightly leans left.

Edited by TVIntheDesert

10 hours ago, TVIntheDesert said:

While Full Measure had limited syndication outside of the Sinclair group (the only station outside the group I recall airing the program was KAZT in Phoenix to pair with a locally-produced show hosted by a local right-wing radio host, but they no longer air it), van Susteren's new show (now named Full Court Press) is being shopped around by an outside distributor. Two non-Gray markets (Chicago and Milwaukee...Weigel?) have signed on so far. Hearst has had better luck distributing Matter of Fact with Soledad O'Brien outside their owned station footprint, even though that program slightly leans left.

To the latter point, the format of Full Court Press seems to me quite similar to Matter of Fact based on how it was synopsized.

2 hours ago, GoldenShine9 said:

I just noticed that KGWN has been rebranded Wyoming News Now (probably as it is taking over news for KCWY too). A very Raycom-esque name and graphic...

I was looking at the Syncbak page, where they archive video from the last few newscasts. They're using CBS Local for the rebrand.. 

Prior to the consolidation, KCWY used The Tower, while KGWN used Pinnacle. 

On 3/4/2019 at 11:08 AM, CircleSeven said:

This is kind of strange. Gray is changing stations in Charlottesville.

They're divesting it's longtime CBS affiliate WCAV & ABC affil WVAW to Lockwood Broadcasting. In turn, Gray will acquire the NBC station WVIR from Waterman Broadcasting.

The Charlottesville deals were greenlighted on Monday.

With both the Gray's Charlottesville switch and the United TV deal being greenlighted, I wouldn't be surprised if both get consummated concurrently.

Also, earlier this month. Gray's founding television station, WALB celebrated a milestone. 65 years on the air.

6RMJrjp.jpg

Gray Television is now getting into the multicasting and expanding deeper into the OTT business. It's teaming up with Grand Ole Opry parent Opry Entertainment Group (whose parent, Ryman Hospitality Properties [as Gaylord Entertainment], launched The [original] Nashville Network [now the Paramount Network] in 1983) to launch a multiplatform network and VOD effort focusing on "artist-driven country lifestyle programming."

https://tvnewscheck.com/article/top-news/234281/gray-teams-with-grand-ole-opry-on-tv-network/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, T.L. Hughes said:

Gray Television is now getting into the multicasting and expanding deeper into the OTT business. It's teaming up with Grand Ole Opry parent Opry Entertainment Group (whose parent, Ryman Hospitality Properties [as Gaylord Entertainment], launched The [original] Nashville Network [now the Paramount Network] in 1983) to launch a multiplatform network and VOD effort focusing on "artist-driven country lifestyle programming."

https://tvnewscheck.com/article/top-news/234281/gray-teams-with-grand-ole-opry-on-tv-network/

As a fan of country music, we need a new TNN or CMT. The question is... is this new country network going to be a diginet or is it going to be on cable?

Edited by TexasTVNews
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, TexasTVNews said:

And what about Non-Gray stations?

They probably haven't looked that far yet. Since Gray lacks a station in Nashville, getting on one of the other stations there will surely be a high priority. 

Edited by GoldenShine9

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/16/2019 at 6:27 PM, TheRolyPoly said:

Not surprised... Gray selling KEYU to Alpha.

Gray will probably sell KTXC to Alpha too.

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/176887/alpha-media-acquires-keyu-fm-amarillo/

Paperwork for KEYU-FM is up. Alpha is paying $250K for the station. And it will have new call letters either at or sometime after closing.

Edited by CircleSeven

1 hour ago, CircleSeven said:

Paperwork for KEYU-FM is up. Alpha is paying $250K for the station. And it will have new call letters either at or sometime after closing.

Not only that, they're not assuming any of KEYU's employees, basically just the licenses and site lease. I bet it won't be Regional Mexican after the sale — if it does, it will be under a different name with a new air staff.

On 5/29/2019 at 2:19 PM, CRThell said:

Wow. Gray keeps on snatching these CW affils away from these indie broadcasters (i.e. in Madison (WBUW), Fargo (WDAY) & Alexandria (KBCA))

I'm still surprised that the network allowed them to move the affiliation in Midland (KWES > KOSA) after the Raycom deal.

I guess its all about the all mighty dollar. Oh, and scale too.

Edited by CircleSeven

13 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

Wow. Gray keeps on snatching these CW affils away from these indie broadcasters (i.e. in Madison (WBUW), Fargo (WDAY) & Alexandria (KCBA))

I'm still surprised that the network allowed them to move the affiliation in Midland (KWES > KOSA) after the Raycom deal.

I guess its all about the all mighty dollar. Oh, and scale too.

KCBA is in Salinas/Monterey and is FOX. You probably meant KBCA.

• Like 1