Gray Television - General Thread

The Frog

1 hour ago, Megatron81 said:

I think that Gray try's and gets Salt Lake City NBC from KSL since they for a long time wouldn't air some prime time shows on NBC for some reason. One of the few TV stations not to do that.

Plus the previous events (at CBS Detroit) show that it is still possible for a news station to be built from scratch in this day and age.

(albeit with some snafus along the way)

• Like 1

Gray shut down KNEP's news department and laid off staff in certain other departments on the same day the Marquee swap announced. Since February 2, the station's in-house newscasts have been replaced by simulcasts of KGWN/KCWY's Wyoming News Now broadcasts.

4 minutes ago, T.L. Hughes said:

Gray shut down KNEP's news department and laid off staff in certain other departments on the same day the Marquee swap announced. Since February 2, the station's in-house newscasts have been replaced by simulcasts of KGWN/KCWY's Wyoming News Now broadcasts.

That doesn't sound right. That's not okay especially in a smaller market like where KNEP-TV serves.

2 hours ago, mer764KCTV5 said:

That doesn't sound right. That's not okay especially in a smaller market like where KNEP-TV serves.

With all of the issues, it may have just come down to that there literally isn't much advertising revenue to support the station even in a part-time bureau state and they were completely under water with the station (over the years the transmitter alone was a money sink which kept breaking down in the core of winter). Some of these smaller markets are down to a state where they're stalled out to the point of ripping and reading from Nixle and Facebook for much of the show (because police and municipal authorities don't want them to go deeper than that and openly obstruct them from doing so) and the only original content left is weather (which can be outsourced) and sports (outside the high school football and basketball regular seasons just a vacuum of time).

• Like 5

1 hour ago, mrschimpf said:

With all of the issues, it may have just come down to that there literally isn't much advertising revenue to support the station even in a part-time bureau state and they were completely under water with the station (over the years the transmitter alone was a money sink which kept breaking down in the core of winter). Some of these smaller markets are down to a state where they're stalled out to the point of ripping and reading from Nixle and Facebook for much of the show (because police and municipal authorities don't want them to go deeper than that and openly obstruct them from doing so) and the only original content left is weather (which can be outsourced) and sports (outside the high school football and basketball regular seasons just a vacuum of time).

One solution may be to have identical newscasts except for weather coverage, which can be accomplished by having 1 or 2 additional meteorologists at the parent station and a second green screen so they can go live there if needed.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Has any TV station group taken Investigate TV or is this only Gray TV stations in the markets they are in. I know Gray said that they would be selling it to TV stations that wanted to air Investigate TV, I guess no takers for that cheap show. 

• 2 weeks later...

This somehow flew under the radar.

A news anchor at KMOV in St. Louis referred to Black homeowners as "colored" homeowners in a news tease.  The NABJ called out KMOV, and according to the group, "there have been multiple on-air apologies and KMOV management has met with local leaders."  I didn't see any apologies or statements on KMOV's website about what happened or why it happened.

Video of what happened: https://www.tiktok.com/@therealfoxyroxystl/video/7340308283971980590

On 2/28/2024 at 3:41 PM, TheRob said:

I heard there were some creative services layoffs at our local Gray station. That was one place where Gray tried to staff up after Meredith cut the station to the bone.

That's a shame, since Meredith basically decimated their creative service departments before their sale, and Gray had to literally re-staff them all over again.

Then again, KCTV has been a dumpster fire for quite some time.  Under Meredith, it was a great place for people to fall "upward".

Edited by tyrannical bastard

13 hours ago, Howard Beale said:

I didn't see any apologies or statements on KMOV's website about what happened or why it happened.

Why would they need to? If you found this video on their website you could surely find the supposed multiple on-air apologies in the newscasts as well.

Sounds like the station and staff worked to correct a wrong... Poor word choices, yes. Learning opportunity, Certainly! Career-ending move? No. 

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, GodfreyGR said:

Why would they need to? If you found this video on their website you could surely find the supposed multiple on-air apologies in the newscasts as well.

Sounds like the station and staff worked to correct a wrong... Poor word choices, yes. Learning opportunity, Certainly! Career-ending move? No. 

I didn't find the video on their website.  Someone else did and posted the video to TikTok.  I searched KMOV's website and did not find the initial video or any subsequent apologies.  However, from what I've read online, Cory Stark did apologize.

"Poor word choices" is an understatement.  Yes, mistakes happen, but we're talking about an outdated and racist term for Black people that somehow made it into a news broadcast in 2024.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Howard Beale said:

I didn't find the video on their website.  Someone else did and posted the video to TikTok.  I searched KMOV's website and did not find the initial video or any subsequent apologies.  However, from what I've read online, Cory Stark did apologize.

"Poor word choices" is an understatement.  Yes, mistakes happen, but we're talking about an outdated and racist term for Black people that somehow made it into a news broadcast in 2024.

So instead of using it as a learning opportunity for everyone in the newsroom, let’s fire/cancel the guy? I fail to see how that helps anyone. It’s far more productive to heed the lesson from this experience so that people avoid repeating similar mistakes in the future.

Not to mention, this cluster f goes beyond one person. If I’m not mistaken, scripts are supposed to be written, edited, and reviewed before going to air. Something went seriously wrong with that process if no one caught that phrasing before hitting air, and work should be done to correct that process. Unless this was done with malicious intent (which by all accounts, it wasn’t), they don’t need to go on a pink slip crusade.

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, nycnewsjunkie said:

So instead of using it as a learning opportunity for everyone in the newsroom, let’s fire/cancel the guy? I fail to see how that helps anyone. It’s far more productive to heed the lesson from this experience so that people avoid repeating similar mistakes in the future.

Not to mention, this cluster f goes beyond one person. If I’m not mistaken, scripts are supposed to be written, edited, and reviewed before going to air. Something went seriously wrong with that process if no one caught that phrasing before hitting air, and work should be done to correct that process. Unless this was done with malicious intent (which by all accounts, it wasn’t), they don’t need to go on a pink slip crusade.

I don't think there's a need to "fire/cancel the guy."  If this was an honest mistake, treat it as such, and learn from it.  But don't sweep it under the rug either.  I doubt many people would have known about this if the NABJ didn't issue a statement.  KMOV owes its audience an explanation of how and why this happened.

Edited by Howard Beale
Added extra line break for formatting.
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Howard Beale said:

I don't think there's a need to "fire/cancel the guy."  If this was an honest mistake, treat it as such, and learn from it.  But don't sweep it under the rug either.  I doubt many people would have known about this if the NABJ didn't issue a statement.  KMOV owes its audience an explanation of how and why this happened.

Understood, and I totally agree with you there. They should be transparent with viewers about this and shouldn’t pretend it didn’t happen.

• Like 2

On 3/3/2024 at 11:58 PM, Howard Beale said:

This somehow flew under the radar.

A news anchor at KMOV in St. Louis referred to Black homeowners as "colored" homeowners in a news tease.  The NABJ called out KMOV, and according to the group, "there have been multiple on-air apologies and KMOV management has met with local leaders."  I didn't see any apologies or statements on KMOV's website about what happened or why it happened.

Video of what happened: https://www.tiktok.com/@therealfoxyroxystl/video/7340308283971980590

Here's an update from the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.  In short, KMOV's GM said the script originally said "homeowners of color" but "was inadvertently changed and mistakenly read on air."

More info: https://www.stltoday.com/news/local/metro/kmov-apologizes-after-anchor-uses-colored-to-describe-minority-homeowners/article_35c21cca-da56-11ee-b988-9b2d028d026b.html

This week KNOP ended production of their own morning show. They are now airing sister station KSNB's morning show in its place, inserting North Platte news and weather into the show, and now giving 2 hours of news to North Platte versus the 1 hour show they produced before. No KNOP on air staff left, as they are still on air for the the midday show in North Platte.

On KNOP, they now show a Local 4 on News 2 logo and still have the KNOP ticker that was there before.

This comes on the heels of sister KNEP (which KNOP produced the morning show for and provided weather for all shows) shutting down their news department and shows.

Edited by aandersen93

So does KNOP have any local North Platte newscasts left?

Since Glendive hasn't done any local news for years, this could be the smallest market that produces a local newscast of any kind.

Alpena's WBKB only does a 6:30 morning show and newscasts at 6:00 and 11:00.  They reintroduced local weather but relied on NewsNet for a while (probably due to staffing shortages).

3 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Since Glendive hasn't done any local news for years, this could be the smallest market that produces a local newscast of any kind.

Alpena's WBKB only does a 6:30 morning show and newscasts at 6:00 and 11:00.  They reintroduced local weather but relied on NewsNet for a while (probably due to staffing shortages).

All they did was cut mornings; they are still producing their midday and evening news.

9 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

They still air a Midday at 11:30, 6pm, and 10pm show.

A 5pm was never added to KNOP, because at one point they produced a 5pm on KNPL 10/11 North Platte that was very short lived as a result of Gray buying Hoake the year after they stood up their own NP station, which has been cut for years now.