Gray Television - General Thread

The Frog

Is Gray still planning on keeping their stations logos as they are, or was their network logo "purge" a ploy by Gray to hardball their networks into renewals?

Based on my observations, ALL of their NBC stations removed the NBC logo, and some of the CBS stations no longer have the CBS eye as part of the logos. 

ALL of the ABC and FOX stations owned by Gray have the network logos intact.  Same with any CW or MyNetwork stations.

Any market where Gray has NBC along with other networks also stripped the network branding for most all  the other ones they carry as well.

Edited by tyrannical bastard
  • Thought-Provoking 1

42 minutes ago, channel2 said:

My first thought was Mobile-Pensacola...

Is that part of New Orleans' TV territory?

Maybe for the New Orleans Pelicans, but Biloxi-Gulfport is also in the middle between the Mobile-Pensacola and New Orleans TV markets.

Could also be for the Tampa-Sarasota area as well, but I haven't heard anything about the Tampa Bay Rays deal with Bally being in trouble.

8 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Maybe for the New Orleans Pelicans, but Biloxi-Gulfport is also in the middle between the Mobile-Pensacola and New Orleans TV markets.

Could also be for the Tampa-Sarasota area as well, but I haven't heard anything about the Tampa Bay Rays deal with Bally being in trouble.

Do not be surprised if you see programming on the New Orleans Saints and LSU Tigers.

On 12/27/2023 at 6:54 PM, Georgie56 said:

Gray has filed a trademark for the Gulf Coast Sports & Entertainment Network.

Assuming this is aimed at New Orleans and they’re getting the Pelicans after they end things with Bally.

12 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

This new sports network could be for any or all Gray stations, it is just another possibility.

On 12/28/2023 at 9:08 PM, HSV cheesehead said:

This new sports network could be for any or all Gray stations, it is just another possibility.

Gray also reached a deal to air select New Orleans Pelicans games across their stations in Louisiana (KALB, KPLC, WAFB, KNOE, KSLA, WVUE) Mississippi (WLOX, WDAM, WTOK, WLBT) and Alabama (WALA).

https://www.fox10tv.com/2023/12/31/fox10-gray-tv-stations-reach-deal-televise-10-this-seasons-pelicans-games/

Edited by tyrannical bastard
Stations
  • Like 3

On 12/31/2023 at 7:44 AM, MD TV said:

Meanwhile, WPCH has agreed to air Hawks games on Friday nights starting January 12th:

https://www.atlantanewsfirst.com/2023/12/30/atlanta-hawks-partner-with-grays-peachtreetv-broadcast-10-games-free-over-air/

Of course, that station did air Hawks games years ago as WTBS.

The first two games will also air on WANF.

According to the 9am newscast on WANF and this article from WSFA, the games will also air on stations throughout Alabama.

The Hawks have partnered with our Atlanta sister station Peachtree TV and WANF in 2024. Through the agreement, those living in Birmingham, Huntsville, Mobile and Montgomery will be among television markets able to see 10 live Atlanta Hawks games free, over the air.

In Montgomery viewers will get to see the Hawk’s games airing on 12.3, formerly the home of Circle TV and now the new 365 starting on Jan 1.

The article still does not specify were the games will air on stations in Birmingham, Huntsville and Mobile.

After doing some digging, I have discovered that the games will air on what ever subchannel that The 365 is on.

Edited by HSV cheesehead
New information

• 1 month later...

Some big news from Gray today:

• asset swap with Marquee out west:
    • PRESS RELEASE

ATLANTA, Feb. 01, 2024 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Gray Television, Inc. (“Gray” or the “Company”) (NYSE: GTN) announced today that it has
      reached agreements with Marquee Broadcasting, Inc. (“Marquee”) to swap television stations. Gray will sell its television stations in the Cheyenne-
      Scottsbluff and Casper television markets (DMAs 194 and 198, respectively) to Marquee in exchange for Marquee’s FCC permit authorizing the
      construction of new, unbuilt television station KCBU in the Salt Lake City market (DMA 27).

• Gray, Syncbak and NAB announce new local streaming platform Zeam (Morgan Murphy Media as well)

Additionally; there is this

To maximize consumer awareness and buzz, Zeam will release an eight-figure marketing campaign with the centerpiece being localized Super Bowl ads featuring John Stamos, airing across the country in around 100 different markets.

This value proposition has already gotten the buy-in from nearly 300 stations and 30 groups including Gray, CBS, News Press & Gazette, Hearst and Morgan Murphy. At launch, Zeam will have station representation that covers nearly 80% of the U.S.

More Here

According to a different website that shall not be named, 'Zeam' is to serve as a successor to VUit.

Edited by HSV cheesehead
duplicate

39 minutes ago, HSV cheesehead said:

Some big news from Gray today:

29 minutes ago, LOWERCASE GUY said:

Looks like Gray is trading KGWN in Cheyenne and its other stations for a new station in SLC.

No surprise by this news. After they weren't able to cluster up a few years back, Gray couldn't do anything in Wyoming.

On 12/31/2023 at 7:44 AM, MD TV said:

Meanwhile, WPCH has agreed to air Hawks games on Friday nights starting January 12th:

https://www.atlantanewsfirst.com/2023/12/30/atlanta-hawks-partner-with-grays-peachtreetv-broadcast-10-games-free-over-air/

Of course, that station did air Hawks games years ago as WTBS.

The first two games will also air on WANF.

...and when WTBS became the NBA's main cable outlet, Turner sublicensed Hawks games to WGNX, the predecessor of WANF.

31 minutes ago, Big Rollo Smokes said:

...and when WTBS became the NBA's main cable outlet, Turner sublicensed Hawks games to WGNX, the predecessor of WANF.

And the cycle continues, it would even stranger if Gray were to then have their stations (not WANF) put WPCH on a sub-channel, that will never happen though.

33 minutes ago, GoldenShine9 said:

What value does KCBU have for Gray though? Unless they acquire KSL (and there's no indication Bonneville is selling), it's an isolated asset with no real value.

I am thinking as it is centrally located in the western US, it is possible that they might be another Graphics hub, they could also build a newsroom there to build a western edition of Local News Live. Those are both possibilities. There is a long-shot possibility that they'll try to take the FOX affiliation from Scripps.

On 2/1/2024 at 4:09 PM, LOWERCASE GUY said:

Looks like Gray is trading KGWN in Cheyenne and its other stations for a new station in SLC.

The paperwork is up.

The stations Gray is trading up for Marquee's KCBU Price, UT:

• KCWY-DT - Casper, WY
  • KGWN-TV - Cheyenne, WY
  • KSTF - Scottsbluff, NE
  • KNEP - Sidney, NE
  • KCBZ-LD - Casper, WY

• K16JI-D - Casper, WY

• K19FX-D - Laramie, WY

• K28HL-D - Riverton, WY

• K30GV-D - Shoshoni, WY

The ONLY station in WY Gray is keeping is Sheridan's KSGW. And that's because Marquee already has a unbuilt permit in that COL (KSWY 7).

Edited by CircleSeven

On 2/1/2024 at 7:15 PM, GoldenShine9 said:

What value does KCBU have for Gray though? Unless they acquire KSL (and there's no indication Bonneville is selling), it's an isolated asset with no real value.

Salt Lake City is in the running for an NHL team.  I could see Gray building out the station and then bidding for the rights to the games. 

Edited by jjj
  • Like 1

On 2/1/2024 at 8:55 PM, HSV cheesehead said:

And the cycle continues, it would even stranger if Gray were to then have their stations (not WANF) put WPCH on a sub-channel, that will never happen though.

I am thinking as it is centrally located in the western US, it is possible that they might be another Graphics hub, they could also build a newsroom there to build a western edition of Local News Live. Those are both possibilities. There is a long-shot possibility that they'll try to take the FOX affiliation from Scripps.

Another longshot possibility....take the NBC affiliation from KSL.

I know KSL has fallen in line after years of selectively preempting NBC content, but if they hint at any reservation of paying for NBC, Gray maybe more willing to....

More likely, Gray could set itself up to air Utah Jazz games.

• Like 1

On 2/1/2024 at 9:15 PM, GoldenShine9 said:

I mean, the worst case scenario is that they get a station in Salt Lake City in exchange for some stations in very small markets, all without cash considerations. In and of itself, that sounds like a good deal to me.

I'm sure they'll do something with that station though. KJZZ currently airs Jazz games, and I don't know when that agreement expires, but I agree that they could be in play to air sports if the NHL moves to Salt Lake City (via the Coyotes or an expansion team).

1 hour ago, nycnewsjunkie said:

I mean, the worst case scenario is that they get a station in Salt Lake City in exchange for some stations in very small markets, all without cash considerations. In and of itself, that sounds like a good deal to me.

I'm sure they'll do something with that station though. KJZZ currently airs Jazz games, and I don't know when that agreement expires, but I agree that they could be in play to air sports if the NHL moves to Salt Lake City (via the Coyotes or an expansion team).

The Utah Jazz decided not to sell their TV rights after ATT Sportsnet folded  - but this article describes the partnership with KJZZ/Sinclair as not super long-term. (Time buy, perhaps?)

https://www.deseret.com/2023/6/20/23766592/utah-jazz-to-air-games-on-kjzz-and-new-streaming-platform-says-owner-ryan-smith

It'll be interesting to see what they do to program this station when it launches. 

• Like 2

Another thing I noticed: KNEP is consider to be in the Denver market (that market is enormous in size and that is not where it should be, but Nielsen sees it differently). That's a huge amount of cap space used for a station that covers 0.1% of the DMA. That would allow Gray enough space to, once it pays down enough debt, make some other spot acquisitions. For example, KPTV could use some company in the Northwest, and there are a few stations out there they could buy. 

• Thought-Provoking 1

18 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Another longshot possibility....take the NBC affiliation from KSL.

I know KSL has fallen in line after years of selectively preempting NBC content, but if they hint at any reservation of paying for NBC, Gray maybe more willing to....

More likely, Gray could set itself up to air Utah Jazz games.

Could KSL go independent or even merge with BYUtv? Remember, KSL is owned indirectly (via Bonneville) by the LDS church, while the latter is owned by an LDS-affiliated university and includes a broadcast channel (KBYU). They're like corporate cousins.

Edited by mre29
Was verging on Speculatron....