Gray Television - General Thread

The Frog

51 minutes ago, CLETVFan said:

WOIO might be losing MeTV as Weigel has purchased W27EA-D from Media-Com.

Weigel may be looking to use W27EA-D for either MeTV+, the soon-to-be-launched Story, or even snag some or all of WBNX's Weigel offerings.

Being that WBNX is WBNX, and how they lost the CW under mysterious circumstances, could Gray and Weigel know something about them that we haven't found out about....yet?

WOIO/WUAB is way overstuffed with channels, so they could likely afford to lose something like MeTV, and bump MyNetworkTV somewhere else.

On 2/7/2022 at 5:26 PM, mrschimpf said:

Of additional note...this WGCL news share deal made with Univsion's WUVG in 2017 will likely come to an end, suggesting that it's possible the WKTB buy-out came as a result of the new TelevisaUnivision deciding to put actual resources into the WUVG news department and kill the Meredith agreement.

And that's been taken care of; WUVG now has a news-share with WSB.

On 3/23/2022 at 10:53 PM, tyrannical bastard said:

Weigel may be looking to use W27EA-D for either MeTV+, the soon-to-be-launched Story, or even snag some or all of WBNX's Weigel offerings.

Being that WBNX is WBNX, and how they lost the CW under mysterious circumstances, could Gray and Weigel know something about them that we haven't found out about....yet?

WOIO/WUAB is way overstuffed with channels, so they could likely afford to lose something like MeTV, and bump MyNetworkTV somewhere else.

Easiest move to make is using 19.2 as a full-power SD simulcast of WTCL 6.1.

12 hours ago, TheSpeedKing said:

With that crappy encoder and VHF? No way!

WOIO/WUAB has two substantial translators to compensate for their lousy V signal, and WTCL does the same. Plus WTCL is the only Spanish-language media outlet within the city proper (unless you count WQHS, which is run out of a broom closet).

20 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

New M&A. Gray is fetching another LP in their home state.

They're getting WKSY-LD in Summerville-Trion, GA from Narrow Path Productions, for $325K.

Likely would be a WGCL satellite for the NW corner of the market. (If Gray acquired a station in Chattanooga such as WRCB, they could shoehorn it on there too...)

• Like 1

On 6/11/2021 at 10:01 PM, CircleSeven said:

Gray is unloading its other radio property.

Lamesa, TX Spanish radio outlet KTXC is being sold to religious broadcaster VCY America, Inc. for $650K.

It took ten months, but Gray has finally unloaded this Texas radio station today (4/14). The deal was greenlighted on April 1.

Let's see how long they'll keep those Quincy radio stations........

On 3/1/2022 at 1:14 PM, CircleSeven said:

I should also mention regarding Memphis, that WYMP-LD deal was completed last week.

The question now is whether Gray will keep that signal at its current spot near the TN-MS border, or move the signal closer to Shelby County. That is going to be something to watch out for.

Looks like they're going to do just that.

Gray has filed an app to move WYMP-LD to Shelby on WMC's tower. 

Should this get the greenlight, they'll going to withdraw that WMC DRT application (which mirrors the same technical parameters as WYMP's proposed facility). As mentioned before, the FCC had placed a hard freeze on new DRTs seven years ago. So they had to ask for a "waiver" to get the grant. But nearly two years after it was filed, the DRT app has yet to be acted on. 

KCRG is no longer Eastern Iowa’s “24 Hour News Source”. They are now “Your Trusted Local News Source”, which they have used going to break the last few weeks.  There are also new graphics which I haven’t seen on other Gray stations yet.  The Weather graphics and on air bug are the same, but wouldn’t be surprised if they change soon. 

1 hour ago, Oliverolang said:

The Weather graphics and on air bug are the same, but wouldn’t be surprised if they change soon. 

I wouldn't hold my breath on Weather graphics... KSFY and KFYR use the same overall package KCRG switched to, but all three aforementioned stations are using the same wx graphics as of right now.

1 hour ago, GoldenShine9 said:

I noticed Macon was one of those markets - the one Georgia market without a Gray station, and unless a trade is coming (i.e. swap with Tegna for WMAZ), there is no realistic plan to get into that market.

Gray just bought an LP in Macon (W21EN-D) and had that signal modification app approved today. I'm hoping they'll expand that signal contour in the future.

11 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

Gray just bought an LP in Macon (W21EN-D) and had that signal modification app approved today. I'm hoping they'll expand that signal contour in the future.

It sounds like all of the Georgia stations they are launching will all be part of a network based out of the affiliate they are launching in Atlanta.   So this may be the way that Gray is entering Macon without having their own full powered station in the market.

On 4/5/2022 at 8:59 AM, Myron Falwell said:

WOIO/WUAB has two substantial translators to compensate for their lousy V signal

Does it really have a lousy signal? I know it's only 10 kw or something like that, but WKRC only has 15 KW or something like that and I don't hear a lot of complaining about their signal.

I noitced that KTVK/KPHO recently switched their weather branding to First Alert Weather... I also so see WGCL did too.. is this a requirement for the former Meredith stations?? I see WNEM has yet to change (and they can since it isn't used in the Flint market)

Edited by MichiganNewsGraphicsJunkie
grammar

1 hour ago, MichiganNewsGraphicsJunkie said:

I noitced that KTVK/KPHO recently switched their weather branding to First Alert Weather... I also so see WGCL did too.. is this a requirement for the former Meredith stations?? I see WNEM has yet to change (and they can since it isn't used in the Flint market)

Appearing like an O&O is my guess. But I really don't know since these are not former O&Os.