Gray Television - General Thread

The Frog

1 hour ago, tyrannical bastard said:

What about WPCH?

Sad to say that the station evolved from the groundbreaking WTBS into a local independent station running syndication repeats (mostly at Meredith's behest when they acquired the station from WarnerMedia).  

While it would nice to use that station as a launching pad for a new-generation SuperStation, it may serve the area better as a full-powered Telemundo station and use the acquired low-power station for their experimentation and content origination (to be expanded in the digital realm).

Plus, with their efforts in Cleveland, they can be replicated (and even refined) in Atlanta.

Unfortunately, without any sports (or significant investment into programming in general), those days are long gone...

• 2 weeks later...

New M&A. Gray is getting another LP.  

They're getting KTEV-LD in Texarkana, AR from Buna Group, Inc. for $25K.

And I look at the contour and see how small it is. It doesn't even serve all of the city of Texarkana. Like central part of the city and areas north of it. Should they get the greenlight, I wouldn't be surprised if Gray replaces the antenna and have it at a greater reach in that vicinity.

12 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

And I look at the contour and see how small it is. It doesn't even serve all of the city of Texarkana. Like central part of the city and areas north of it. Should they get the greenlight, I wouldn't be surprised if Gray replaces the antenna and have it at a greater reach in that vicinity.

I'm in this DMA and you're sure not lying. I didn't even know this station existed before today.

12 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

Looks like that's gonna be a KSLA repeater. 

Looks like WPCH (Peachtree TV) will be ramping up its local programming offerings to create more Atlanta centric programming.

https://www.ajc.com/life/radiotvtalk-blog/briefs-gray-hires-peachtree-tv-station-manager-capital-b-news-launches-charles-barkley-ponders-leaving-inside-the-nba/VOWKRU6BM5CQRBWFKOOEVTYICM/

Time Warner did this originally after the TBS split, but it was short-lived especially after the operations were turned over to Meredith, replacing the original content with syndicated programs.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Gray has been on the ball with acquiring these LPs. They're getting another one. And its in a college town.

They're getting Tuscaloosa, AL's WJMY-LD from TTI, Inc. for $225K. 

I should also mention regarding Memphis, that WYMP-LD deal was completed last week.

The question now is whether Gray will keep that signal at its current spot near the TN-MS border, or move the signal closer to Shelby County. That is going to be something to watch out for.

But I feel something needs to be done in regards to WMC's signal woes. Your core viewers should be able to receive Channel 5 over the air. I know Gray is still pursuing to switch the full power signal to UHF. But I would file a new app to move that new LP to Shelby, and once its gets the greenlight, get that signal lit up quickly.

Edited by CircleSeven
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

Gray has been on the ball with acquiring these LPs. They're getting another one. And its in a college town.

They're getting Tuscaloosa, AL's WJMY-LD from TTI, Inc. for $225K. 

I should also mention regarding Memphis, that WYMP-LD deal was completed last week.

The question now is whether Gray will keep that signal at its current spot near the TN-MS border, or move the signal closer to Shelby County. That is going to be something to watch out for.

But I feel something needs to be done in regards to WMC's signal woes. Your core viewers should be able to receive Channel 5 over the air. I know Gray is still pursuing to switch the full power signal to UHF. But I would file a new app to move that new LP to Shelby, and once its gets the greenlight, get that signal lit up quickly.

That would likely be a WBRC satellite, as that is on the fringe of the coverage area.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Gray is fetching another LP. This time it's in the Valley of the Sun.

They're getting KPHE-LD from Lotus Communications. for $1.75M. 

Lotus owns several radio stations in the West Coast.

It'll be interesting to see what Gray would use this LP for, given that they have that full power duopoly in KTVK & KPHO.......

New LP for Gray.

They're fetching Pascagoula, MS WGUD-LD from Scranton Broadcasting for $400K.

I should also mention that Gray is in the process of moving nearby Eastabuchie's LP W31FB-D to WALA's tower. This is while they're waiting for the greenlight to acquire the LP from Lowcountry Media.

EDIT 2:30pm/EDT: Gray is getting four more LPs from L4 Media, LLC for $1.25M.

Spoiler
  • WBXA-CD Birmingham, AL
  • WBXM-CD Montgomery, AL
  • WBXC-CD Champaign/Urbana, IL
  • KBXS-CD Shreveport, LA

Edited by CircleSeven

8 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

New LP for Gray.

They're fetching Pascagoula, MS WGUD-LD from Scranton Broadcasting for $400K.

I should also mention that Gray is in the process of moving nearby Eastabuchie's LP W31FB-D to WALA's tower. This is while they're waiting for the greenlight to acquire the LP from Lowcountry Media.

Hide contents
  •  

The Gray purchase of WGUD does explain it's long struggle of trying to sign-on their post-repack channel.   They stayed on 51 well past the other stations in the area, and after that, encountered tower issues in their new facility.  They have yet to sign on their new channel.

Like W31FB-D, WGUD is on channel 31, and the stations have contours that almost overlap in the western fringes of the Mobile area.  

WGUD was a MeTV station for the Biloxi market, so I wonder what Gray has in store for them.  WLOX has a good signal on channel 32 with both ABC and CBS feeds, but lots of subchannels, so it may be an overflow channel for them, especially if they assume the MeTV feed Scranton used to run.

W31FB-D may very well be a repeater or aux for WALA on UHF, since they have had longstanding signal issues there as a VHF station.

Edited by tyrannical bastard

2 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

W31FB-D may very well be a repeater or aux for WALA on UHF, since they have had longstanding signal issues there as a VHF station.

This is Gray, so "My Little LPTV: U-Relays are Magic" is probably the answer. Of the BX LPTVs, they could use a U-relay in Montgomery, but they don't need an LPTV in the other markets (and indeed one they don't own a network affiliate in). They could always put Circle on WBXC; the network has no place to hang its hat in that market, and the LPTVs are all unremarkable diginet trees.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Samantha said:

This is Gray, so "My Little LPTV: U-Relays are Magic" is probably the answer. Of the BX LPTVs, they could use a U-relay in Montgomery, but they don't need an LPTV in the other markets (and indeed one they don't own a network affiliate in). They could always put Circle on WBXC; the network has no place to hang its hat in that market, and the LPTVs are all unremarkable diginet trees.

that my little pony pun was cringe ngl 😂

• Haha 5

13 hours ago, Samantha said:

Regarding Birmingham, Gray just bought an LP near Tuscaloosa earlier this month (WJMY-CD).

Looking at the contours of all three (WBRC, WBXA & WJMY), if they're contemplating using it for a WBRC repeater, it would be wise to move the new LP towards the east, near Anniston & Gadsden. Channel 6's main signal reaches Anniston, but its in the extreme eastern fringe.

Edited by CircleSeven

Well, after reviewing the application for the W31FB-D signal on WALA's tower, it's likely Gray bought WGUD-LD to either shut it down or relocate it to another frequency. 

When it's moved to 1000 ft, the signal blankets pretty much all of Mobile and Baldwin County, as well as providing fringe signal over much of WGUD-LD"s coverage area.

https://www.rabbitears.info/contour.php?appid=25076ff37f6bcee5017f75300c8f09ca&site=1&dma=N&map=Y&contour=Y&lppc=N&int=N&pop=N&incpop=&excpop=&z1=N&nrqz=N&lprw=N&head=Y&asrn=&extras=&cir=&circen=

Here's WGUD-LD's repacked 31 for comparison:

https://www.rabbitears.info/contour.php?appid=25076f916940ed6e0169454873a0018a&site=1&dma=N&map=Y&contour=Y&lppc=N&int=N&pop=N&incpop=&excpop=&z1=N&nrqz=N&lprw=N&head=Y&asrn=&extras=&cir=&circen=

Looking at contours two LPs, plus WALA & WLOX, I don't think Gray wants to shut down WGUD.

If anything, should that W31FB new app gets approved, plus the WGUD deal, I wouldn't be all that shocked if Gray move WGUD toward the west; either from WLOX tower, or a nearby tower so Biloxi & Gulfport viewers can see the signal. We'll see what happens.

I almost forgot to mention that they also bought an LP in Huntsville (WMJN-LD), so they have now bought LPs in the four major markets in the state. 

Gray has completed the transaction of 24 LPs formerly owned by Lowcountry Media on Tuesday (3/22). The deal was approved on Monday (3/21). The WKTB deal was also approved on Monday, but it has yet to close.

Edited by CircleSeven
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

Looking at contours two LPs, plus WALA & WLOX, I don't think Gray wants to shut down WGUD.

If anything, should that W31FB new app gets approved, plus the WGUD deal, I wouldn't be all that shocked if Gray move WGUD toward the west; either from WLOX tower, or a nearby tower so Biloxi & Gulfport viewers can see the signal. We'll see what happens.

I almost forgot to mention that they also bought an LP in Huntsville (WMJN-LD), so they have now bought LPs in the four major markets in the state. 

Gray has completed the transaction of 24 LPs formerly owned by Lowcountry Media on Tuesday (3/22). The deal was approved on Monday (3/21). The WKTB deal was also approved on Monday, but it has yet to close.

Moving WGUD to the west seems like thing to do, especially to better cover Biloxi & Gulfport.  To the west is two more low-powered Channel 31s, KNOV-CD in New Orleans and W31EL-D in Baton Rouge.  Way up in Meridian, MS is the full-powered WGBC on 31 as well. 

Technically, as long as they don't have any issues with all of these stations, then all is well.  So even if all of these low-powered stations are neck and neck with each other, then all is well, right?  Even if they clog the airwaves with their low-powered signals?

Edited by tyrannical bastard