Gray Television - General Thread

The Frog

9 hours ago, GodfreyGR said:

I'm curious to why the Gray logo has to be on the front of the desk? KOTA/KEVN have been adding it to their weather graphics as well (and not doing it well).

image.thumb.png.98e87f0d499af1a8066ce31c623335cb.png

Those logos are soooooo smooshed!!!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A small M&A. Gray is LP-picking again.

They're grabbing six more LPs from Lowcountry Media for $1.165M.

• K19MZ-D Arriba, CO
  • K32OG-D Pueblo, CO 
  • W19FA-D Bangor, ME
  • W36FM-D Etna, ME
  • W31FD-D Beaufort, SC 
  • W29FR-D Lebanon-Nashville, TN

Interesting note about W19FA one. The allotment on RF 19 was formerly occupied by WABI before it moved back to VHF.

7 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

A small M&A. Gray is LP-picking again.

They're grabbing six more LPs from Lowcountry Media for $1.165M.

• K19MZ-D Arriba, CO
  • K32OG-D Pueblo, CO 
  • W19FA-D Bangor, ME
  • W36FM-D Etna, ME
  • W31FD-D Beaufort, SC 
  • W29FR-D Lebanon-Nashville, TN

Interesting note about W19FA one. The allotment on RF 19 was formerly occupied by WABI before it moved back to VHF.

Gray may be planning on using these stations as UHF repeaters for:

K19MZ-D Arriba, CO - KKTV

K32OG-D Pueblo, CO - KKTV

W19FA-D Bangor, ME - WABI

W36FM-D Etna, ME - WABI

W31FD-D Beaufort, SC - WTOC

W29FR-D Lebanon-Nashville, TN - WSMV, which RabbitEars already shows as W29FR-D as repeating

W29FR-D Lebanon-Nashville, TN - WSMV, which RabbitEars already shows as W29FR-D as repeating

I should also point out regarding the W29FR. Its antenna/transmitter resides at the former WJFB facility near Lebanon (which Weigel moved it to the immediate part of the area earlier this year). I wouldn't be surprised if Gray moves it closer to the city (possibly WSMV's tower), should it gets the greenlight.

It appears Gray is not done. They're snagging six more LPs from DTV America for $210K.

• W29FP-D Montgomery, AL
  • W18FA-D Gainesville, FL
  • W19EX-D Gainesville, FL
  • W17EL-D Ocala, FL
  • W36FL-D Athens, GA
  • W24OD-D New Bern, NC

Don't know why they need three transmitters near Gainesville. But the Athens one is probably for competitive reasons. WGCL's rival WSB has a fill in translator in Athens (RF 17).

Edited by CircleSeven

8 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

I should also point out regarding the W29FR. Its antenna/transmitter resides at the former WJFB facility near Lebanon (which Weigel moved it to the immediate part of the area earlier this year). I wouldn't be surprised if Gray moves it closer to the city (possibly WSMV's tower), should it gets the greenlight.

It appears Gray is not done. They're snagging six more LPs from DTV America for $210K.

• W29FP-D Montgomery, AL
  • W18FA-D Gainesville, FL
  • W19EX-D Gainesville, FL
  • W17EL-D Ocala, FL
  • W36FL-D Athens, GA
  • W24OD-D New Bern, NC

Ocala is technically in the Orlando market, but close enough that they'd be interested in a WCJB signal there.

I'd think one of the Gainesville signals would be to pool up affiliations (maybe give its CW affiliation a full HD signal as a separate channel).

Edited by GoldenShine9
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, TheSpeedKing said:

And I may have spoke too soon. AVSForum users report that the WUAB simulcast on WTCL is indeed in 480i. So 2 HD's and 2 SD's, not the limit. Sorry about that.

There's no limit in terms of how many HD channels you have. There are some that carry three HD streams (some are Gray stations, i.e. KCRG). As long as the stations don't go over the bandwidth limit of 19.4MB for ATSC 1 signals. 

Not sure what the limit is on ATSC 3 signals.

Edited by CircleSeven
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not sure if this is a Gray or CBS issue- but would someone tell KBJR (Duluth) to stop running the generic promo with Gayle King for "CBS This Morning" (old name, studio, graphics, plus it has Anthony Mason still as the co-host!)?

That said, you wonder why the ratings still suck... The affiliates don't even market the correct show (and another tangent, KVLY to this day says "CBS This Morning starts next)

45 minutes ago, GodfreyGR said:

Not sure if this is a Gray or CBS issue- but would someone tell KBJR (Duluth) to stop running the generic promo with Gayle King for "CBS This Morning" (old name, studio, graphics, plus it has Anthony Mason still as the co-host!)?

That's not on Gray or CBS, but rather the station's fault for still having that promo in their systems when they were supposed to delete it long ago. 

46 minutes ago, GodfreyGR said:

(and another tangent, KVLY to this day says "CBS This Morning starts next)

KVLY is an NBC affiliate. Perhaps you were talking about KXJB-LD?

Edited by TheSpeedKing
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, GodfreyGR said:

They still simulcast mornings as "Valley News Live". I suffer through it most mornings.

Might I suggest WDAY? Though their website is garbage, and they haven't exactly landed on the best network affiliation (it's ABC but you could do a lot worse), their on-air product seems fine, and being locally owned might help.

From Discord (h/t @TheRolyPoly)

Not even a full month into Gray ownership and WGCL is in a few months time about to drop The 700 Club in favor of 9am News.

https://www.ajc.com/life/radiotvtalk-blog/cbs46-will-drop-the-700-club-adding-9-am-newscast-plus-new-news-director-kim-saxon/B46YZ7RLFVHDLALOPGAREIB6QA/

Hilton Howell said he wanted to bring stability to WGCL and not even a full month into local ownership for WGCL/WPCH, Gray is already making impactful moves to their new flagship.

• Like 3