Gray Television - General Thread

The Frog

On 7/10/2020 at 2:12 AM, CircleSeven said:

New M&A from Gray. And we're going back to Hawaii.

Gray is acquiring the Telemundo affiliate KSIX-TV from Mauna Kea Broadcasting for $1M.

We all know what Gray has in the Islands. Honolulu's KGMB (CBS) & KHNL (NBC). And KHNL satellite's KFVE (formerly KHBC) Hilo and KOGG in Wailuku.

KSIX's signal primarily serves the western sections of the Big Island. Gray is saying the station's signal doesn't overlap with their Honolulu station or KFVE, which that serves the eastern part of the big island.

Here's the contours of both KFVE & KSIX signals in the Big Island.

Follow-up since the KSIX transaction closed a couple of months back.

A callsign changed occured in the Big Island on November 13th.

• The station that was KFVE (the former KHBC-TV) is now KSIX-TV.
  • And the station that was KSIX-TV (the station Gray just bought) is now KFVE.

No word if the "K5" stream (KHNL-DT2) is airing on the new KFVE.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

As per RabbitEars, the new KFVE is airing on Ohau on KKAI-DT2 50.2.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JCB4TV said:

I wonder why Gray made this purchase in the first place.

I think the reason why they bought KSIX was not just for acquiring Telemundo. But to get the "K5" stream back on satellite, which they haven't been since Nexstar took over KFVE's former cable allotments (cable channel 5) almost two years ago.

General Manager Katie Pickman basically confirms this in this Star-Advertiser article back in October:

“We made this investment to better serve our local communities by expanding the distribution of our programming, including and especially our K5 channel” 

So here's what I found out from the station's article earlier this month. 

• The "K5" stream was moved on cable to channel 6 on Charter Spectrum, Hawaii Telecom & DirecTV and channel 8 on Dish Network.
  • Telemundo has now taken over K5's former cable allotments. That includes Spectrum channel 22, and Hawaii Telecom channel 13. But the stream will stay on channel 6 on Dish.

Both WTVM and WLTZ website now confirm the Shared Service Agreement. 

Looks like WLTZ will get a new logo, now Local 38. 

NBEUAXNPTBDPZLFWVY3R2KWVXM.png.thumb.jpeg.376f8c25e00069a3b0f1fbd324694e65.jpeg

"WTVM News Leader 9 is pleased to be able to provide WLTZ NBC 38 with some of the market’s top-rated local newscasts from WTVM for the WLTZ audience beginning November 23rd.

The partnership between WTVM and WLTZ means we will continue to explore ways to enhance our service to the local community. That service is always focused on expanding the ways we can bring timely and essential local news, local sports and weather coverage to more viewers in the Columbus-Auburn area."

https://www.wtvm.com/2020/11/22/some-wtvm-news-leader-newscasts-will-be-seen-wltz-nbc/

https://www.wltz.com/2020/11/23/some-wtvm-news-leader-9-newscasts-will-be-seen-on-wltz-nbc-38/

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, MartheJokester said:

I feel for the people who left as a result of the merger. I'm not too sure how I feel about it because of Columbus DMA being a small market.

It is a shame considering the effort that SagamoreHill put into the newscast over the past several years.  And they hired a lot of market veterans from across the region and country, including former WVTM Ganeral Manager Gene Kirkconnell (who is now the News Director at WRBL) and Don Hammond, who has been a primary anchor at many stations across the country.

The advantage here is to leverage themselves to the Alabama viewers, who live an hour behind the rest of the market. They have to put up with shows being on an hour early, especially in the morning, where the network shows aren't tape delayed for their time like the most of Central time.  Getting WSFA has been the solution, and now that NBC is also under the same company (Gray) in Columbus, GA, it could mean choosing to simulcast WSFA instead of WTVM, since WSFA has traditionally been available on the Alabama side of the market, all the way to the state line.  They hold the cards now, and it would be in the best interest of WSFA viewers should WLTZ kick them off cable in these areas.

• Like 2

The viewers were blindsided from what I gathered and apparently the staff of the old WLTZ couldn't even say an on air goodbye so they did on social media. They weren't too happy when they saw that Facebook status in fact most of them were angry. Whatever Gray and Sagamore are planning for the Columbus market it's not going too well even though they just started. 

On 9/26/2020 at 9:46 PM, CircleSeven said:

Earlier this week, I discovered that back in June, Memphis' NBC station WMC 5 filed an application for a digital replacement translator (DRT) for UHF channel 14.

The fill-in translator would primarily serve all of Shelby County. Here's the contour of the VHF 5 full-power signal and the proposed UHF 14 translator.

But here's what I don't understand. What happened to petition of rulemaking (PRM) they had to change their RF signal from VHF 5 & UHF 17?

When I read the app further, I found out a few tidbits:

• WMC filed that channel substitution PRM on May 26, 2011, five days before the FCC place a freeze on new channel substitutions. They placed the freeze because of that forthcoming spectrum auction, which didn't happen until five years later.  
  • In 2014, they also place a freeze on future DRTs. And the following year, they made that freeze permanent.
  • Throughout those eight years, that petition was still pending until the FCC sent a letter to the station on June 29, 2019, dismissing its petition because it would "cause impermissible interference" with the other channels that were reassigned in the spectrum repack.

So, because of the permanent freeze on future DRTs, WMC is requesting a waiver to get the greenlght. I'm hoping they approve the waiver. But its extremely pitiful that it had to come to this.

So a big follow-up regard WMC. @Samantha mentioned it yesterday (11/27), but I'll make a mention it here.

In the light of the FCC finally lifting the freeze on station modifications and allotment subsitutions last month, WMC has now petitioned to move its full-power signal from the problematic VHF-low 5 to UHF 30!

The contour of UHF 30 is smaller than the VHF 5 contour. And the reason is to protect Little Rock's KLRT which is also on RF 30. 

I guess there is light at the end of the tunnel. Hoping that they can finally get out of that VHF-low hellhole.

But that's not all. Gray has filed petitions to move five more stations off that VHF dial. And that includes two nearby stations:

• KAIT Jonesboro, AR petitions to vacate VHF 8 for UHF 27.
  • KFVS Cape Girardeau, MO petitions to vacate VHF 11 for UHF 32.

They're also applications filed by other Gray stations who have asked for power increases.

• KWWT (the Odessa station Gray just bought) have asked to move its antenna facility to KOSA's tower and raise the power to 500kW.
  • WVUE in New Orleans wants to boost its power from 850kW to the full maximized 1MW. 
  • KVLY, KNOE & KCWY have also applied for power increases.

So on an unrelated note, KOLN was granted approval to rebuild its antenna tower.

Remember, its original tower collapsed in an ice storm earlier this year. It originally wanted to build a larger tower (1650 ft.) but it has decided to lower the height by 150 ft. (which was the height of their original tower (1500 ft.)).

This also affects KSNB's petition to move to UHF 24 (which also proposed to use KOLN's new tower). But that petition is currently under review.

Edited by CircleSeven
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

So a big follow-up regard WMC. @Samantha mentioned it yesterday (11/27), but I'll make a mention it here.

In the light of the FCC finally lifting the freeze on station modifications and allotment subsitutions last month, WMC has now petitioned to move its full-power signal from the problematic VHF-low 5 to UHF 30!

The contour of UHF 30 is smaller than the VHF 5 contour. And the reason is to protect Little Rock's KLRT which is also on RF 30. 

I guess there is light at the end of the tunnel. Hoping that they can finally get out of that VHF-low hellhole.

But that's not all. Gray has filed petitions to move five more stations off that VHF dial. And that includes two nearby stations:

• KAIT Jonesboro, AR petitions to vacate VHF 8 for UHF 27.
  • KFVS Cape Girardeau, MO petitions to vacate VHF 11 for UHF 32.

They're also applications filed by other Gray stations who have asked for power increases.

• KWWT (the Odessa station Gray just bought) have asked to move its antenna facility to KOSA's tower and raise the power to 500kW.
  • WVUE in New Orleans wants to boost its power from 850kW to the full maximized 1MW. 
  • KVLY, KNOE & KCWY have also applied for power increases.

So on an unrelated note, KOLN was granted approval to rebuild its antenna tower.

Remember, its original tower collapsed in an ice storm earlier this year. It originally wanted to build a larger tower (1650 ft.) but it has decided to lower the height by 150 ft. (which was the height of their original tower (1500 ft.)).

This also affects KSNB's petition to move to UHF 24 (which also proposed to use KOLN's new tower). But that petition is currently under review.

Great news about WMC and WVUE.  I wonder if it's even possible for WOIO/WUAB to go UHF with a full-powered signal?

WVUE is free-and-clear for me on 29, so when I can pick up New Orleans, it comes in pretty well...now it will be even better! 

So is WTVY on 36, but they are an established blowtorch at maximum power and are one of the tallest towers in the nation! (it's the tallest structure in the state of Florida).

Edited by tyrannical bastard
  • Like 1

So it appears that two more PRMs came up in the "Black Friday" dump. And these are petitions for two NEW allotments.

Gray is proposing to have a new full power allotment on VHF 9 in Freeport, IL.

This probably explains why Gray wants KCRG off of RF 9.........

Just to follow up, Gray sold WIFR's former UHF allotment (RF 41) in the spectrum auction. And moved the channel to a low power signal (RF 28). And since then those viewers have complained about not receiving the new signal. They've also simulcasted its channel on Weigel's LP in Rockford (WFBN-LD 23.11).

WIFR even mentioned about "applying for a new license" on their spectrum page.

Last week we also received some good news that the FCC has dropped it’s freeze on new licenses. This will allow us to apply for a another license but we’re at the mercy of Gray Media and the FCC. We’re told it’ll be about a 3 year progress and there aren’t any promises. We hope one of these scenarios works out.

This proposed VHF allotment makes sense since that part of Illinois is mostly rural. And the signal is better for folks who have outdoor antennas on the roofs. Unlike in the urban areas with big buildings, the VHF signals (like WBBM on RF 12) don't penetrate well like UHF signals do.

I wished WIFR would've chose to move to VHF-high, instead of deciding to channel share (which they ended up not doing).

Okay, the other allotment is UHF 26 in Eagle River, WI. I'm sure this is for competitive reasons.

Quincy's WAOW has a repeater in Eagle River (WYOW). And I guess WSAW may want one in the Northwoods as well.......

Edited by CircleSeven
  • Like 1

On 11/21/2020 at 5:58 AM, CircleSeven said:

Looking at the guides:

• It appears that the new KFVE (fka KSIX-TV) in Kona is airing the "K5" (KHNL-DT2) stream on 6.1
  • Telemundo (which was on 6.1) moved to 6.2.

CXItPbD.png

The listing also shows that Telemundo is simulcasted for the Oahu viewers on KHNL 13.6.

gIQJTQT.png

Not sure when the KKAI-DT2 carriage of Telemundo ended.......

Edited by CircleSeven

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

New M&A. Looks like Gray is LP-picking again.

They're acquiring some un-built permits of ten LPs owned by HC2 Holdings for $475K.

• K24NY-D Paragould, AR 
  • W23EF-D Tallahassee, FL 
  • W20DW-D Clarksdale, MS
  • WDDY-LD Jackson, TN 
  • WHJK-LD Jackson, TN 
  • KMZB-LD Amarillo, TX
  • K31PR-D Tyler, TX 
  • W33DH-D Eau Claire, WI
  • W14ER-D Eau Claire, WI
  • W31EV-D Wausau, WI

31 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

New M&A. Looks like Gray is LP-picking again.

They're acquiring some un-built permits of ten LPs owned by HC2 Holdings for $475K.

• K24NY-D Paragould, AR 
  • W23EF-D Tallahassee, FL 
  • W20DW-D Clarksdale, MS
  • WDDY-LD Jackson, TN 
  • WHJK-LD Jackson, TN 
  • KMZB-LD Amarillo, TX
  • K31PR-D Tyler, TX 
  • W33DH-D Eau Claire, WI
  • W14ER-D Eau Claire, WI
  • W31EV-D Wausau, WI

Hmm...planning to make some repeaters maybe?

• Like 1