Gray Television - General Thread

The Frog

9 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

All I have to say is holy conflict in many places and that Gray kills the TEGNA-itis with fire!!!

Amen to that! I'm actually rooting for this to happen so that TEGNA-itis can die a horrible death!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Starting Monday (April 6), Full Court Press will launch a special coronavirus-focused weeknight edition to be anchored by regular host Greta Van Susteren (who will present from an in-home studio) and WVUE anchor Lee Zurik (who will host from New Orleans).

The program, to be titled Full Court Press Now, will air most of Gray’s stations; no word on if it will air on non-Gray stations that carry the main weekend program (like KOCO in my hometown, which carries Full Court Press early Sunday mornings before the 5:00-7:00 block of their weekend morning newscast).

Edited by T.L. Hughes

30 minutes ago, T.L. Hughes said:

Starting Monday (April 6), Full Court Press will launch a special coronavirus-focused weeknight edition to be anchored by regular host Greta Van Susteren (who will present from an in-home studio) and WVUE anchor Lee Zurik (who will host from New Orleans).

The program, to be titled Full Court Press Now, will air most of Gray’s stations; no word on if it will air on non-Gray stations that carry the main weekend program (like KOCO in my hometown, which carries Full Court Press early Sunday mornings before the 5:00-7:00 block of their weekend morning newscast).

I'm guessing at least some of the non-Gray stations will air it, particularly those owned by independents or those who don't have significant overlap with Gray.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
21 hours ago, GoldenShine9 said:

It's not a blockbuster, but...maybe Southeast Alaska will finally get its own local news?

https://www.kinyradio.com/news/news-of-the-north/gci-announces-sale-of-tv-stations-in-southeast-markets/

I really hope so, but I think that KATH/KSCT will probably just continue with the KTUU simulcasts that they currently have, at least in the near term. But this does make a lot of sense; now Gray has an NBC monopoly in Alaska.

One thing I know that Gray will do: fix the stations' websites!

EDIT: Paperwork is up. Purchase price: $1.5 million.

Edited by NewsMaster
Added stations' websites and FCC filing.

7 hours ago, NewsMaster said:

I felt physical pain looking at these sites. Wowza.

I'm not familiar with anything in the realm of Alaska TV. Does the Juneau market even bother with local newscasts, or is it just simulcasts of Anchorage/Fairbanks newscasts with local news sprinkled in as necessary? I can't imagine trying to build out what amounts to a new operation in the current climate, unless it's something that the locals would 100% buy into.

Buy now, build later?

9 hours ago, TheGuru said:

I felt physical pain looking at these sites. Wowza.

I'm not familiar with anything in the realm of Alaska TV. Does the Juneau market even bother with local newscasts, or is it just simulcasts of Anchorage/Fairbanks newscasts with local news sprinkled in as necessary? I can't imagine trying to build out what amounts to a new operation in the current climate, unless it's something that the locals would 100% buy into.

Buy now, build later?

As far as I know, there are no local inserts on any of the SE Alaska stations of any kind; all of the news comes from each of the stations' corresponding network affiliates in Anchorage (KATH/KSCT from KTUU, CBS Southeast from KTVA, and KJUD from KYUR/KTBY).

There is one other significant factor that probably prevents a local news operation in SE Alaska: the region's geography. Getting between Juneau and anywhere else requires boat or plane. On top of that, there are no cities and towns in the region that are accessible from the rest of Alaska or Canada by road, except for Haines, Skagway and Hyder.

1 hour ago, NewsMaster said:

As far as I know, there are no local inserts on any of the SE Alaska stations of any kind; all of the news comes from each of the stations' corresponding network affiliates in Anchorage (KATH/KSCT from KTUU, CBS Southeast from KTVA, and KJUD from KYUR/KTBY).

There is one other significant factor that probably prevents a local news operation in SE Alaska: the region's geography. Getting between Juneau and anywhere else requires boat or plane. On top of that, there are no cities and towns in the region that are accessible from the rest of Alaska or Canada by road, except for Haines, Skagway and Hyder.

That is one other challenge. They would need to have at least a couple reporters in each community or region working from home (or perhaps a small office in Sitka and Ketchikan), although they could remotely report the stories up to the anchors in what would most likely be Juneau.

Edited by GoldenShine9

1 hour ago, GoldenShine9 said:

That is one other challenge. They would need to have at least a couple reporters in each community or region working from home (or perhaps a small office in Sitka and Ketchikan), although they could remotely report the stories up to the anchors in what would most likely be Juneau.

Definitely possible. It's also worth noting that Gray is by far the largest company to ever own a Juneau television station, so for the first time, there's a company that at least appears to have the resources needed to start a news operation in the market. We shall see...

On 5/29/2020 at 7:09 PM, NewsMaster said:

I really hope so, but I think that KATH/KSCT will probably just continue with the KTUU simulcasts that they currently have, at least in the near term. But this does make a lot of sense; now Gray has an NBC monopoly in Alaska.

EDIT: Paperwork is up. Purchase price: $1.5 million.

Holy shit. That site is a blast from the past. Talk about neglect 🤣😂

On 5/29/2020 at 6:09 PM, NewsMaster said:

They’re gonna have to put a LOT of work into those websites! That site is so far behind the times, it’s pathetic!

Reminds me of when I worked in radio in the 2000s, the AM station I worked at was still using reel-to-reel and cart machines, and using a severely outdated computer system for automation on the FM side! Both stations have since been sold: the AM is now an EWTN Radio affiliate, and the FM is now a country station (one of 4 in the market)!! 

Edited by J1975am

• 2 weeks later...

The Legacy Gray stations are switching to Washington Post ARC from Clickibility, which is the same platform the former Raycom stations currently use. While all the former Raycom stations have the same basic design, the Legacy Gray stations are keeping the "look" of their former Clickiblity but the underpinnings are now from ARC. The main thing you notice is the Weather Pages from Legacy Gray and former Raycom are the same basic design. It has yet to be seen if the former Raycom stations will switch their design to fall in line with the Legacy Gray stations or not.