Gray Television - General Thread

The Frog

What is Gray up to in New Hampshire?

They are buying WYCU-LD in Charlestown, NH (currently owned by Greg Uhrin) for $75,000.

https://tvnewscheck.com/article/top-news/240353/station-trading-roundup-6-deals-2175000/

My only guess is that they'll use WYCU as a translator for WCAX, but Charlestown is at the very southeastern tip of the market. It could also be an attempt to get WCAX coverage in southeast Vermont without irking WBZ. Stay tuned...

Edited by NewsMaster

1 hour ago, NewsMaster said:

They are buying WYCU-LD in Charlestown, NH (currently owned by Greg Uhrin) for $75,000.

https://tvnewscheck.com/article/top-news/240353/station-trading-roundup-6-deals-2175000/

My only guess is that they'll use WYCU as a translator for WCAX, but Charlestown is at the very southeastern tip of the market. It could also be an attempt to get WCAX coverage in southeast Vermont without irking WBZ. Stay tuned...

They could be trying to move it. Doesn't the FCC allow you to move within 30 miles or something like that?

2 hours ago, NewsMaster said:

Fox or CW possibly? Nexstar has both in Burlington, but there's a whole lot of real estate that hasn't had local Fox since Hearst got WMUR and killed Fox on their translators (their MO for MyNetworkTV right now says it's definitely not for that affiliation).

3 hours ago, NewsMaster said:

WCAX had a translator in Brattleboro during the analog era and neither WNEV/WHDH or WBZ ever objected to that. Also, WCAX is on every cable system that covers the Windham County plus is on DBS there. This falls into that category if anything.

If this deal also included WYCX, WYCU's translator in Manchester, VT, and WYCI, the full power H&I/My station in Saranac Lake, I would think something would be very up but just this doesn't seem all that off.

Edited by scrabbleship

On 10/22/2019 at 9:41 PM, scrabbleship said:

WCAX had a translator in Brattleboro during the analog era and neither WNEV/WHDH or WBZ ever objected to that. Also, WCAX is on every cable system that covers the Windham County plus is on DBS there. This falls into that category if anything.

If this deal also included WYCX, WYCU's translator in Manchester, VT, and WYCI, the full power H&I/My station in Saranac Lake, I would think something would be very up but just this doesn't seem all that off.

Speaking of WYCI....

Gray will be acquiring the station for $1.1M. And it'll use the pre-2017 "failed station waiver" rule to acquire it. 

On 10/22/2019 at 6:26 PM, NewsMaster said:

Gray and CBS get along pretty well so I doubt WBZ would be irked too much.

6 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

Speaking of WYCI....

Gray will be acquiring the station for $1.1M. And it'll use the pre-2017 "failed station waiver" rule to acquire it. 

I would perhaps pay attention to the CRTC filings at this point to see if Gray tries to get approval for WYCI to be carried on cable systems in Canada. That would be the next shoe stopping with regard to taking the Fox affiliation from WFFF.

2 hours ago, scrabbleship said:

I would perhaps pay attention to the CRTC filings at this point to see if Gray tries to get approval for WYCI to be carried on cable systems in Canada. That would be the next shoe stopping with regard to taking the Fox affiliation from WFFF.

That's not going to happen.  Nexstar renewed their affiliation agreements with Fox in September.

https://www.nexstar.tv/nexstar-media-group-and-fox-broadcasting-company-renew-affiliation-agreements/

55 minutes ago, effseesee said:

That's not going to happen.  Nexstar renewed their affiliation agreements with Fox in September.

https://www.nexstar.tv/nexstar-media-group-and-fox-broadcasting-company-renew-affiliation-agreements/

Question is for how long. I'm sure that if Gray wanted to extort Nexstar/WFFF for the affiliation they could.

• Like 1

On 6/24/2019 at 6:23 PM, H4UL4U said:

Gray adding NBC and CW affiliations to KEYC (Mankato, MN) in the form of a new low power station, KMNF.

https://www.keyc.com/2019/06/24/keyc-tv-adding-more-network-affiliates-this-fall/

So follow-up regarding KMNF.

They did some testing on their new signal this week. They didn't announce a launch date but it did say it should be in full operation once testing is completed.

WSFA 12 in Montgomery announced they are moving to a new facility located in a RSA building in downtown. Makes me wonder if this was in the works before Raycom whom was owned by RSA sold the company to Gray TV. 

Says they should move into their new facility early next year and leave their longtime home on East Delano Ave in Montgomery. 

https://www.wsfa.com/2019/11/09/wsfa-news-moving-new-downtown-montgomery-home/ 

8 minutes ago, Working4You said:

WSFA 12 in Montgomery announced they are moving to a new facility located in a RSA building in downtown. Makes me wonder if this was in the works before Raycom whom was owned by RSA sold the company to Gray TV. 

Says they should move into their new facility early next year and leave their longtime home on East Delano Ave in Montgomery. 

It was. They knew they were moving about the middle of last year. They’re current building is in a really bad part of town. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/2/2019 at 8:19 AM, CircleSeven said:

So follow-up regarding KMNF.

They did some testing on their new signal this week. They didn't announce a launch date but it did say it should be in full operation once testing is completed.

Follow-up. December 1st will be the launch date for NBC/CW programming of KMNF.

On 6/27/2019 at 11:19 PM, broadcastfan9751 said:

It looks like Gray is "hopping" WWPI into Presque Isle to get around the minor modification rules. That RabbitEars map shows the facilities Gray is applying for right now to move WWPI further east from its previous location in Fort Kent. Once those facilities are approved and constructed, they'll probably apply for a move to the WAGM tower.

So follow-up regarding WWPI. They have filed an app to move closer to Presque Isle proper.

From this contour map, it won't be transmitting from WAGM's tower facility, but It looks like it'll be will be transmitting from the WAGM's studio facility.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/18/2019 at 7:05 AM, CircleSeven said:

Follow-up. The name of the new service will be called Circle.

The diginet will be launched early next year on the Gray stations. The new over-the-top service will launch late Spring.

January 1st will be the launch date. Some CBS O&Os will also be carrying the diginet.

Damn. With 16 original shows, ratings better be through the roof.

2 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

January 1st will be the launch date. Some CBS O&Os will also be carrying the diginet.

It will be replacing ionTV on WCTV 6.3. Which makes me wonder if adding ion to a number of its stations was just a placeholder until Circle could launch?

41 minutes ago, hmaxhanson said:

It will be replacing ionTV on WCTV 6.3. Which makes me wonder if adding ion to a number of its stations was just a placeholder until Circle could launch?

In WBAY's case... NO. WBAY is moving ION to 2.6. Yes... WBAY is going to six channels.

46 minutes ago, hmaxhanson said:

In Toledo, ion was bumped to 13.5. And since Ion is carried on a bunch of Gray outlets, It'll likely be moved down to another created subchannel. 

3 hours ago, TheRolyPoly said:

In WBAY's case... NO. WBAY is moving ION to 2.6. Yes... WBAY is going to six channels.

It's a really good multiplexer; I haven't noticed any signal degradation on .1 at all. It helps that the .2 auto-weather feed has the majority of its pixels stay in the same position 24/7, so they just have to worry about two small video windows and a thrice-a-day change in their 7-day window.

6 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

They don't need to be; I feel like these are shows which would have contracted with networks like CMT, DIY, and Great American Country in the past, but they've both finally gotten rid of any pretenses about being about 'southern living' or 'home improvement.' It's better to outlay money for programming now than three years down the line being stuck running CanCon PPI garbage or like Heartland/TNN 3.0 did, had a 'Be Southern'-?-'Profit!' business plan that ran into trouble when nobody watched has-beens in old Music City Tonight interviews and the licensors and stations gave up on Luken.

As for Sherman/Ada, I'm not sure whether KXII will be able to add Circle, at the moment, they have Ion on 12.4, and they apparently have an HD version of 12.2 on K31LQ-D 31.1.

K31LQ-D is currently broadcasting at 166' 4.8kw from the KXII stick in Marshall County, Oklahoma with a CP to move to RF 28 at 1633' 15kw from the same tower.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/9/2019 at 12:23 PM, Working4You said:

In the meantime, the station commemorated its 65th anniversary on Christmas Day yesterday.