Gray Television - General Thread

The Frog

1 hour ago, H4UL4U said:

Gray adding NBC and CW affiliations to KEYC (Mankato, MN) in the form of a new low power station, KMNF.

https://www.keyc.com/2019/06/24/keyc-tv-adding-more-network-affiliates-this-fall/

This will leave NBC with only THREE markets without an in market outlet, two of which can be rectified by Gray:

DMA 175 Harrisonburg, VA* - Served by translators of soon to be Gray owned WVIR

DMA 206 Presque Isle, ME* - Served on cable by Tegna's News Center Maine operation via WLBZ

DMA 208 Alpena, MI - Served on cable by Sinclair's Up North Live operation via WPBN

*Gray Markets

Here we go again... time to play Gray taking CW+ to over-the-air!

The latest example... KEYC Mankato. Gray is creating KMNF-LD which will start in September and when it does, Gray will put NBC (currently, the market either has KARE Minneapolis or KTTC Rochester, Minn.) on 7.1 and CW+ (it has its own cable-only affiliate "KWYE" but there could also be WUCW Minneapolis or KTTC 10.2 Rochester, Minn.) on 7.2.

Mankato probably already has ABC over-the-air via KRWF-TV 43 Redwood Falls (plus Ind. from KSTC on 43.2).

https://www.keyc.com/2019/06/24/keyc-tv-adding-more-network-affiliates-this-fall/

So Gray brings CW and NBC affiliations to life apparently.

It was just on Tuesday when I posted about Gray putting NBC in Mankato. Now, it will put NBC in Presque Isle, Maine on WWPI Channel 16 starting later this year. Once final, WAGM will have CBS on 8.1, FOX on 8.2, CW on 8.3 and NBC on WWPI 16.1.

https://www.wagmtv.com/content/news/WAGM-announces-launch-of-NBC-Affiliation-511731462.html

21 hours ago, TheRolyPoly said:

So Gray brings CW and NBC affiliations to life apparently.

It was just on Tuesday when I posted about Gray putting NBC in Mankato. Now, it will put NBC in Presque Isle, Maine on WWPI Channel 16 starting later this year. Once final, WAGM will have CBS on 8.1, FOX on 8.2, CW on 8.3 and NBC on WWPI 16.1.

https://www.wagmtv.com/content/news/WAGM-announces-launch-of-NBC-Affiliation-511731462.html

My question is how would the OTA viewers in Presque Isle proper can see the new signal, which is in the extreme northern tip of Aroostook County. Unless they carry the NBC stream on WAGM 8.4. I'm kind of shocked that they haven't start a new LP on the same stick as WAGM's.

Edited by CircleSeven

14 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

My question is how would the OTA viewers in Presque Isle proper can see the new signal, which is in the extreme northern tip of Aroostook County. Unless they carry the NBC stream on WAGM 8.4. I'm kind of shocked that they haven't start a new LP on the same stick as WAGM's.

It looks like Gray is "hopping" WWPI into Presque Isle to get around the minor modification rules. That RabbitEars map shows the facilities Gray is applying for right now to move WWPI further east from its previous location in Fort Kent. Once those facilities are approved and constructed, they'll probably apply for a move to the WAGM tower.

So it looks like all the Gray outlets will soon be carried on both NewsOn & Syncbak.

Just recently, they've added the former Raycom outlets to Syncbak. WOIO was the first.

They've recently added WBTV, WTOC, WAFB, along with separate streams from Gray's DC BureauInvestigative unit.

Edited by CircleSeven

On 5/19/2019 at 11:18 PM, CircleSeven said:

Paperwork for KEYU-FM is up. Alpha is paying $250K for the station. And it will have new call letters either at or sometime after closing.

On 5/20/2019 at 12:32 AM, Samantha said:

Not only that, they're not assuming any of KEYU's employees, basically just the licenses and site lease. I bet it won't be Regional Mexican after the sale — if it does, it will be under a different name with a new air staff.

The FCC greenlighted the sale earlier this week (7/1). Also upon the deal's completion, Alpha will change the station's calls to KVWE.

On 6/27/2019 at 10:07 PM, GoldenShine9 said:

Alpena will be the only market without a home NBC outlet over the air (or through a satellite)...and nothing that Gray can do there.

At this time, nobody can bring a locally based NBC outlet to Alpena as WBKB is the only stick based in that market and their spectrum is already full with CBS, FOX, and ABC. No CW either.

Suggestion to Gray:

Since their new upcoming NBC affiliates, KMNF & WWPI, are taking over for out-of-market Tegna stations, KARE & WLBZ, Gray should obtain permission from Tegna to present KARE 11 News & News Center Maine on these new channels even if it's only during a transition period.

On 7/5/2019 at 5:48 PM, CircleSeven said:

The FCC greenlighted the sale earlier this week (7/1). Also upon the deal's completion, Alpha will change the station's calls to KVWE.

The deal was completed on Thursday. And so did the switch of format. They're now a Rhythmic CHR radio station "WE 102.9"

Edited by CircleSeven

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure when this happened. But it appears South Bend's WNDU has done away with its longtime News Center 16 brand.

They're now branding all of their newscasts as 16 News Now.

RuiWV0L.png

Prior to just recently, the 16 News Now brand was only for its 4pm, while using News Center 16 for the later shows.

And I can careless of how "outdated" the name was. News Center 16 was their brand. The new one is just too generic and overused. 

Edited by CircleSeven
  • Confused 4

1 hour ago, CircleSeven said:

I'm not sure when this happened. But it appears South Bend's WNDU has done away with its longtime News Center 16 brand.

RuiWV0L.png

Prior to just recently, the 16 News Now brand was only for its 4pm, while using News Center 16 for the later shows.

And I can careless of how "outdated" the name was. News Center 16 was their brand. The new one is just too generic and overused. 

I'm sorry but that "16 News now" logo looks off. How drunk was the focus group that they showed this in front of?!?

• Haha 2

On 7/9/2019 at 12:48 PM, JCB4TV said:

At this time, nobody can bring a locally based NBC outlet to Alpena as WBKB is the only stick based in that market and their spectrum is already full with CBS, FOX, and ABC. No CW either.

It's a longshot, but Gray could always get a low power station and relay WLUC or even WILX....

1 hour ago, NEOMatrix said:

I'm sorry but that "16 News now" logo looks off. How drunk was the focus group that they showed this in front of?!?

WLOX has the "News Now" brand.....here's hoping they don't get this monstrosity of a logo...

Edited by tyrannical bastard

1 hour ago, tyrannical bastard said:

WLOX has the "News Now" brand.....here's hoping they don't get this monstrosity of a logo...

Why didn't WNDU (if they were so insistent on News Now) make their new title in the form of what KXLY (Channel 4, ABC of Spokane, WA) recently did?

Also, I'd definitely like for WLOX to go the way of KXLY as well.

1 hour ago, bmasters1 said:

Why didn't WNDU (if they were so insistent on News Now) make their new title in the form of what KXLY (Channel 4, ABC of Spokane, WA) recently did?

Also, I'd definitely like for WLOX to go the way of KXLY as well.

KXLY did a much better job in execution of the new branding.

9 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

RuiWV0L.png

I'm watching past WNDU newscasts via SBTV. It's confirmed. The morning newscast is now 16 Morning News NOW while its 5:00pm news is now 16 News NOW LIVE. Every other newscast is pretty much 16 News NOW (at XX:00) and also, the LIVE. Local. Late Breaking. slogan only appears at 6:00pm.

On 5/23/2019 at 1:23 AM, CircleSeven said:

Gray is purchasing another LP again. This time in Laredo (KXNU-LD) for $40K.

Wouldn't be surprised if they place the ABC stream (currently on KGNS 8.2) on this stick.

The deal was completed last Thursday (7/25).

I assume they'll file to upgrade the station's signal (the current strength is small) before network placement.

Edited by CircleSeven

"Now" seems to be a recent branding strategy by Gray. KOLN in Lincoln is 10/11 NOW.

On 7/27/2019 at 4:40 PM, TheRolyPoly said:

16 News NOW LIVE.

That's a bit...redundant. Or are they saying 16 News is now live whereas before it was pre-recorded?

Edited by MidwestTV
  • Like 1