Gray Television - General Thread

The Frog

What about KGWC's full-power license? It was supposed to be donated to Central Wyoming College.

That's probably dead too. I imagine Mark III/Wyomedia will search for a new buyer, but I really want to hear more about how this one fell apart.

Interestingly this comes three months after WXNerd warned the deal, which had received FCC approval, was on hold and the lawyers were being called in.

Edited by Guest

That's probably dead too. I imagine Mark III/Wyomedia will search for a new buyer, but I really want to hear more about how this one fell apart.

Interestingly this comes three months after WXNerd warned the deal, which had received FCC approval, was on hold and the lawyers were being called in.

I think maybe the DOJ found out about the deal and didn't like the fact that Gray would have controlled all big 4 affiliates in the Casper and Cheyenne markets (and for that matter, all big 4 affiliates that primarily serve Wyoming).

• Like 4

I think maybe the DOJ found out about the deal and didn't like the fact that Gray would have controlled all big 4 affiliates in the Casper and Cheyenne markets (and for that matter, all big 4 affiliates that primarily serve Wyoming).

It's not DOJ. The problem was the FCC held up the last piece of the deal, the sale of KFNB/KFNE to Legacy. The FCC wanted the two stations to be independent operations, instead of KFNE being a satellite of KFNB. Legacy has argued there is no way KFNE can operate as a standalone operation, especially since it's Riverton signal doesn't reach the majority of the market population in Casper.

Yes, Gray lost the chance to control all the stations in the market, but they'll probably still end up with CBS on their LD in Casper. I'm sure Mark Nalbone isn't happy about losing his $25 million payday.

• Like 2

It's not DOJ. The problem was the FCC held up the last piece of the deal, the sale of KFNB/KFNE to Legacy. The FCC wanted the two stations to be independent operations, instead of KFNE being a satellite of KFNB. Legacy has argued there is no way KFNE can operate as a standalone operation, especially since it's Riverton signal doesn't reach the majority of the market population in Casper.

Yes, Gray lost the chance to control all the stations in the market, but they'll probably still end up with CBS on their LD in Casper. I'm sure Mark Nalbone isn't happy about losing his $25 million payday.

Did Gray still manage to acquire the KGWC satellites? They could easily place KGWN on those .2's, but they might want to give up on KTWO.

Why couldn't they have simply offered to surrender KFNE's license?

• Like 4

Why couldn't they have simply offered to surrender KFNE's license?

It’s the only full power allocation for Riverton. The FCC won’t let them give it up unless someone else operates it. Legacy argued that no one would operate the station as a stand-alone because it’s not financially feasible. Thus the conundrum.

Non-consummation notices are now posted. The deal is officially dead. That's a shame.

They could've at least close out the CBS portion of the deal since it was greenlighted.

I wished Gray would've partnered up with Brady. They would've had a better chance getting everything approved that way. Let Gray keep the NBC & CBS, & let Brady get the ABC & Fox.

But I would not be surprise if Gray come back at this. At least with the CBS portion.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

Non-consummation notices are now posted. The deal is officially dead. That's a shame.

They could've at least close out the CBS portion of the deal since it was greenlighted.

I wished Gray would've partnered up with Brady. They would've had a better chance getting everything approved that way. Let Gray keep the NBC & CBS, & let Brady get the ABC & Fox.

But I would not be surprise if Gray come back at this. At least with the CBS portion.

KGWC, KFNB, and KTWO (and its assorted satellites for the State of Wyoming) are operated from two run-down steel buildings in an industrial section of Casper. What group (other than Gray) would be able to modernize the stations (I've seen production from high schools that are better than they churn out) and keep them in the red? The only one I can think of that is really dedicated to very small markets is NPG.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 3

KGWC, KFNB, and KTWO (and its assorted satellites for the State of Wyoming) are operated from two run-down steel buildings in an industrial section of Casper. What group (other than Gray) would be able to modernize the stations (I've seen production from high schools that are better than they churn out) and keep them in the red? The only one I can think of that is really dedicated to very small markets is NPG.

It's a real challenge. There is no obvious buyer given the circumstances. Maybe Brian Brady could step in? Cowles?

It's a real challenge. There is no obvious buyer given the circumstances. Maybe Brian Brady could step in? Cowles?

NPG has been able to consolidate TV operations in an even more financially depressed market (Yuma/El Centro) with the help of Brady. These are the kinds of markets that they specialize in. It doesn't matter if the quality of life is bad in Casper, it shouldn't be much worse than Y/EC. Maybe run all of them out of Cheyenne instead of Casper, but keep a news bureau there. Heck, they could even consolidate master control out of Colorado Springs.

Edited by Guest

• 2 months later...
On 8/29/2018 at 2:50 AM, CircleSeven said:

Gray has completed the KNCT acquisition, as of Monday (12/17).

It'll be interesting to see what programming there be putting on this new station.

13 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

Gray has completed the KNCT acquisition, as of Monday (12/17).

It'll be interesting to see what programming there be putting on this new station.

I think they'll just move the CW over to KNCT for some reason. I don't agree with the whole Telemundo thing that everyone has been saying.

Edited by ColtFromGulfcoast

4 hours ago, ColtFromGulfcoast said:

I think they'll just move the CW over to KNCT for some reason. I don't agree with the whole Telemundo thing that everyone has been saying.

Please note, that Gray has a permit in College Station, K49LC-D RF 49 -> 27, to potentially serve as a satellite for the "new" KNCT. 

22 minutes ago, JCB4TV said:

Please note, that Gray has a permit in College Station, K49LC-D RF 49 -> 27, to potentially serve as a satellite for the "new" KNCT. 

That could just be a relay for KBTX's CW subchannel. There is precedent to that because KNOE's CW subchannel is rebroadcast on KCWL, and Gray does this in several other markets where they operate. 

• 2 weeks later...

Follow up. It's The CW that will be moving to the new stick.

KWTX posted that The CW will be moving to KNCT 46.1 from KWTX 10.2.

In its place will be the Telemundo affiliation they acquired from the Raycom deal (moving from KXXV 25.2),

It has also acquired the MeTV affiliation from KCEN. They'll carry H&I on 6.3 as a replacement

The lineup will be like this come Wednesday (1/2):

KWTX

10.1 CBS

10.2 Telemundo

10.3 MeTV

KNCT

46.1 The CW

46.2 MeTV

46.3 Start TV

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

Follow up. It's The CW that will be moving to the new stick.

KWTX posted that The CW will be moving to KNCT 46.1 from KWTX 10.2.

In its place will be the Telemundo affiliation they acquired from the Raycom deal (moving from KXXV 25.2),

It has also acquired the MeTV affiliation from KCEN. They'll carry H&I on 6.3 as a replacement

The lineup will be like this come Wednesday (1/2):

KWTX

10.1 CBS

10.2 Telemundo

10.3 MeTV

KNCT

46.1 The CW

46.2 MeTV

46.3 Start TV

Since KWTX is getting Telemundo from KXXV, I wonder what will happen to Telemundo on KRHD-CD, KXXV's satellite station in Bryan. Will KBTX acquire it?

2 minutes ago, TheRolyPoly said:

Since KWTX is getting Telemundo from KXXV, I wonder what will happen to Telemundo on KRHD-CD, KXXV's satellite station in Bryan. Will KBTX acquire it?

The notice didn't mention about KBTX. But since Bryan-College Station is part of the Waco market, I wouldn't be surprised if Gray has the Telemundo affiliation in that part of the market as well. And should that be the case, the question would be where it be placed, Will it be 3.3 (while keeping the CW on 3.2)? Or will they light up the LP (K49LC-D) and place it there? Remember they also have MeTV so they might place it on either 3.3 or on the LP.

On 12/18/2018 at 9:20 AM, CircleSeven said:

But look at both KNCT & KWTX contours together. That proposed KNCT signal doesn't even serve the sections north & northeast of Waco (it barely serves Waco itself). And it doesn't even touch Bryan/College Station. Maybe Gray might move the antenna/transmitter to where KWTX is (and that's if their deal goes through). But even if they don't move the signal, and it does carry Telemundo (Sinclair would have a baby because the contour serves a good chunk of Austin), they would still have to place the network on a sub of KWTX to serve those northern sections mentioned.

Follow up regarding KNCT. This is exactly what Gray is going to do.

The station just filed an app to move its signal to KWTX's tower. when they repack to RF 17. 

The contour would damn near match KWTX's with the move.

• 4 weeks later...

If the DOJ approved Gray getting KGWC, it would have done the following...

• Add local news to the CBS stream
  • Add that CBS channel to CBS All Access and several OTT platforms
  • Replace Rapid City, S.D., signals in Sheridan and Gillette, Wyo. (mainly KCLO), with local Wyoming signals
  • Donat the CBS station’s FCC license to the local PBS affiliate (Wyoming PBS) to put CBS on a low-power station.

Instead, the DOJ rejected it so starting April 9th, KCWY and KGWN's news operations are merging to form "Wyoming News NOW" and all newscasts (including the market-focused ones) will be based in Cheyenne. In other words, Gray is bringing the pink slip train to Casper.

Both KCWY (Casper) and KGWN (Cheyenne) will simulcast morning news from 5:30-7:00 a.m., weekday half-hour at noon and nightly half-hour 10:00 p.m. The difference is early-evening where KCWY will have one at 5:00 and KGWN will continue theirs at 5:30 p.m. That will also be on weekends as well.

KCWY's 6:00 p.m. news will say bye-bye in favor of Jeopardy!, creating a WOF-J! power hour from 6:00-7:00 p.m., the same thing that KGWN is doing.

https://tvnewscheck.com/article/top-news/229026/gray-blames-feds-local-news-cuts-casper/

24 minutes ago, TheRolyPoly said:

If the DOJ approved Gray getting KGWC, it would have done the following...

• Add local news to the CBS stream
  • Add that CBS channel to CBS All Access and several OTT platforms
  • Replace Rapid City, S.D., signals in Sheridan and Gillette, Wyo. (mainly KCLO), with local Wyoming signals
  • Donat the CBS station’s FCC license to the local PBS affiliate (Wyoming PBS) to put CBS on a low-power station.

Instead, the DOJ rejected it so starting April 9th, KCWY and KGWN's news operations are merging to form "Wyoming News NOW" and all newscasts (including the market-focused ones) will be based in Cheyenne. In other words, Gray is bringing the pink slip train to Casper.

Both KCWY (Casper) and KGWN (Cheyenne) will simulcast morning news from 5:30-7:00 a.m., weekday half-hour at noon and nightly half-hour 10:00 p.m. The difference is early-evening where KCWY will have one at 5:00 and KGWN will continue theirs at 5:30 p.m. That will also be on weekends as well.

KCWY's 6:00 p.m. news will say bye-bye in favor of Jeopardy!, creating a WOF-J! power hour from 6:00-7:00 p.m., the same thing that KGWN is doing.

https://tvnewscheck.com/article/top-news/229026/gray-blames-feds-local-news-cuts-casper/

So the DOJ did get involved with the KGWC deal. 

And the Rapid City signals were repeaters of Gray-owned ABC affil KOTA-TV. They would've replace those signals for KTWO. Remember Gray was going to operate KTWO & Fox affils KFNE/KFNB (with Legacy Broadcasting holding the license).

15 minutes ago, GoldenShine9 said:

I think the control of KTWO and KFNE was the deal-breaker there. However, there seems to be no one else interested in Wyoming right now. 

I have a feeling no one's making money in Casper. If KCWY wasn't profitable, then KTWO/KFNB/KGWC isn't either given the quality of their product. They allowed consolidation in the small, struggling market of Yuma/El Centro, but not in Wyoming.

5 minutes ago, TVIntheDesert said:

I have a feeling no one's making money in Casper. If KCWY wasn't profitable, then KTWO/KFNB/KGWC isn't either given the quality of their product. They allowed consolidation in the small, struggling market of Yuma/El Centro, but not in Wyoming.

Even if Cheyenne and Casper combined were one market, it would be in the 180s somewhere.

I wonder how the pocketbooks play into decisions made at DOJ and the FCC. But there is a slippery slope factor too...if they say having two or more major stations in a small market (i.e. 150+) is okay, what would stop it from happening in major markets even if they are highly profitable?

Edited by GoldenShine9

• 3 weeks later...