Gray Television - General Thread

The Frog

Wait, why are Johnson and Campbell counties Denver when the counties below them are Casper??

IDK, you need to take that one up with Nielsen. I used a Nielsen map I found on a Google search. Nebraska is not much better as seen here. 875686371_NebraskaTVMarkets.png.414aa64c8ce6b9563e878218ee57292c.png

The Red is Scotts Bluff County, the Denver Counties are in Orange, Cherry County is in the Sioux Falls, SD DMA while the Sioux City, IA Counties are in Purple.

IDK, you need to take that one up with Nielsen. I used a Nielsen map I found on a Google search. Nebraska is not much better as seen here. [ATTACH]5469[/ATTACH]

The Red is Scotts Bluff County, the Denver Counties are in Orange, Cherry County is in the Sioux Falls, SD DMA while the Sioux City, IA Counties are in Purple.

In Nebraska, everything west of the Sioux City and Omaha markets should be part of a single Lincoln-North Platte-Kearney market. The North Platte DMA would be eliminated.

• Like 1

Yep! It appears that KGWC will meet the fate of KFXF, KJCT, WAGT, WIFR, KSPR, KXJB, KVTV > KYLX, & WFXS > WZAW, down on their luck full power stations rescued by Gray and converted to low power status in order to avoid possible closure and satisfy FCC regulations.

Although to be fair, KGWC is more deserving of this treatment than any of those other stations you've mentioned. That station was a joke. But then again, so is the Casper TV market as a whole.

For a long time it was basically KTWO and everyone else. Then IMWC decided to bring some competition in but they still weren't able to compete. Now that Gray has taken over, Casper is no-longer a one horse town. Although with this Gray deal, who knows if that will change.

My opinion is that the DMAs should be:

* Denver counties in SE Wyoming --> Cheyenne

* Salt Lake counties in SW Wyoming --> Casper (Gray has set precedence there with KGWR)

* Denver counties in NE Wyoming --> Cheyenne

* Teton County is OK in Idaho Falls, while the northern counties in Billings are okay there (Sheridan should join them)

* Crook and Weston are OK in Rapid City

I disagree with you about SW Wyoming. Rock Springs/Green River are much closer to Salt Lake than they are to Cheyenne or Casper. And the Salt Lake stations including all the independent ones have been on cable there for the longest time. The only Casper stations on cable there are KTWO, KGWC (because of KGWR), and KCWC.

http://www.allwest.com/pages/tv-channels.aspx

The rest of what you said does make sense though. The only reason I can think of as to why the Denver DMA is so spotty in Wyoming and Nebraska is because the Denver stations tend to be the go-to for cable systems in regions in isolated parts of the West that couldn't get a local version of a particular network (because the Denver stations came in via satelite). I could be wrong but that's my educated guess at least. I do know that KUSA was the default NBC affilate in Rapid City for that period in time between KEVN losing the NBC affiliation and KNBN starting up.

Although to be fair, KGWC is more deserving of this treatment than any of those other stations you've mentioned. That station was a joke. But then again, so is the Casper TV market as a whole.

For a long time it was basically KTWO and everyone else. Then IMWC decided to bring some competition in but they still weren't able to compete. Now that Gray has taken over, Casper is no-longer a one horse town. Although with this Gray deal, who knows if that will change.

Sunbelt (IMWC) started KCWY in September 2003. They were number 1 in the market by the following May. In terms of ratings and revenue, KCWY has been the big dog in town the last 10 years.

They did for around a year. I don't know why they decided to sell it. That's a major headscratcher.

You can't own 1 tv station in one of the smallest markets and make any money. If you want to make any money in that state, you need to be in multiple markets. As it was alluded to in a previous post,I'm sure Gray was looking to buy out someone like Cordillera or Bonten or Cowles, but when they realized that wasn't going to happen, they cashed out.

• Like 2

You got that right, Atlanta is DMA 9 while the largest Gray station, WVLT, is in DMA 61. If Howell wants a station closer to Atlanta, give Morris Multimedia a call, they have WMGT, NBC Macon, DMA 120. BTW, Morris' largest station is in Lexington, KY, DMA 63, where a conflict would exist. Excluding Lexington, all other Morris stations are in DMAs under 90.

I'd be okay with that, and then they would have to sell off WTVQ to someone else. 7 digital channels, two dual HD, the picture quality is pretty sad.

As much of a mess WTVQ is, it would fit well in the portfolios of many companies. Nexstar, Hearst, Raycom, Scripps...

Yep, I would agree. Someone could turn it around.

Not sure if it helps to have Hearst & Raycom stations in Louisville, and a Scripps station up the road in Cincinnati. Nexstar already owns their tower.

Sorry to get off topic. :)

• Like 1

Yep, I would agree. Someone could turn it around.

Not sure if it helps to have Hearst & Raycom stations in Louisville, and a Scripps station up the road in Cincinnati. Nexstar already owns their tower.

Sorry to get off topic. :)

Lexington borders four Nexstar DMAs: Huntington/Charleston, Tri-Cities, Knoxville, and Nashville. This even before the MG/Park legacy issues specific to WTVQ come into play.

Also, Scripps and Nashville .

• Like 1

In Nebraska, everything west of the Sioux City and Omaha markets should be part of a single Lincoln-North Platte-Kearney market. The North Platte DMA would be eliminated.

The only companies that would be capable of making this work are Gray and Sinclair as they appear to have the most invested in the region. Here's what I see this working:

• NBC: KNOP & KNEP would become satellites of KSNB with Western Nebraska centric commercials and newscasts.
  • CBS: The KOTA simulcast is replaced by a satellite of KOLN on the Sidney sick.
  • ABC: The KSTF sick is potentially acquired by Sinclair and used as a satellite for KHGI.
  • FOX: As with the other KHGI stations, KFXL would join the Scottsbluff stick, taking the FOX affiliation from KIIT.

I can see under this scenario, this can end Western Nebraska's dependence on Denver with Scotts Bluff & Cherry joining the newly enlarged DMA.

There was an operating relationship between KTWO and KGWC and KLWY/KFNB. All these stations are being acquired.

The same sort of DMA mess that characterizes this region is spreading. I have no idea what the end product is. What is clear is that there will be only one company producing TV newscasts in Wyoming. Gray and Legacy will be the only companies owning commercial TV stations licensed to Wyoming.

There is one other station, KQCK RF 11 currently owned by the Christian Television Network. The drawback is that this station's stick is in Fort Collins and targets Denver. I wonder if anyone would have the guts to purchase this station and move it into Wyoming.

There is one other station, KQCK RF 11 currently owned by the Christian Television Network. The drawback is that this station's stick is in Fort Collins and targets Denver. I wonder if anyone would have the guts to purchase this station and move it into Wyoming.

That station was originally a satellite of KTWO, and had its stick just south of Cheyenne. They moved it to Fort Collins because it would cover far more households. No way they move it back north.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
We have a NEW M&A tonight. Gray is bulking up in Wyoming.

Gray will acquire Mark III's KGWL/KGWR for $15.7M ($15,716,667). KGWC will be spun-off to an indie buyer.

Follow-up.

Gray will donate KGWC's license to Central Wyoming College, which they own a chain of PBS outlets throughout the state.

There will also be callsign & virtual channel changes as well.

From the donation agreement:

4.3 Call Sign Change. Donee explicitly acknowledges that the call letters associated with the FCC Licenses, as set f01th on Schedule E are excluded from the transaction. Within 15 days of the date hereof, Donee shall submit a request (including payment of any filing fees) via the FCC's online call sign reservation and authorization system to change the call letters for the Station to call letters of Donee's choosing contingent upon the Closing (the "Call Sign Change"). The Call Sign Change shall become effective at Closing.

4.4 PSIP Standard Wavier. Prior to Closing, at Gray's election, Donee, at its expense, shall co-sign a request for a waiver of A TSC A/65C ("A TSC Program and System Information Protocol for Terrestrial Broadcast and Cable, Revision C With Amendment No. 1 dated May 9, 2006") ("PSIP Standard") for the Station to ensure that programming from the CBS Corporation continues to air on Virtual Channel 14.

• Like 5

Follow-up.

Gray will donate KGWC's license to Central Wyoming College, which they own a chain of PBS outlets throughout the state.

There will also be callsign & virtual channel changes as well.

From the donation agreement:

In other words, Wyoming PBS is gaining a TV station.

• 1 month later...

We missed this one but Gray is assuming the control of WFFP in Lynchburg via a shared services agreement (beginning June 15th) and buying WLHG (it's low-power sister station) outright, this being an outgrowth of WDBJ's CSA with WFFP.

Programming produced by Liberty University will be able to air over all three stations through an agreement reached with the university, the parent company of Morning Star Broadcasting which owns WFFP and WLHG and Gray, the operator of all three stations. All of this info came from TVNewsCheck and RBR.

Anyway, here is the Form 314. Includes a Shared Services Agreement for WFFP and an APA.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Page 61 of this PDF is very interesting.

Schedule 6.8

The parties hereto agree to cooperate in good faith to facilitate the rebroadcast of the signals of the television stations owned by the other party on its own stations to the extent that such rebroadcasts would better serve the local communities; provided, that (i) such stations have sufficient bandwidth and (ii) such rebroadcast complies with Applicable Law and the network and other programming agreements of the Service Provider and Station Licensee. For example, Service Provider’s KSGW and KNEP stations could simulcast the ABC primary channels of KKTO and KKTQ, respectively, to expand the availability of the Wyoming ABC program streams in lieu of KSGW’s and KNEP’s simulcasts of KOTA, the ABC affiliate for the Rapid City market.

I think they meant KTWO on the first call mentioned (KKTO).

I know this is speculation right now by should this Gray/Legacy WY deal gets the greenlight, could Gray replace KOTA's signals on KSGW & KNEP for KTWO's?

This would make total sense if you ask me.

Page 61 of this PDF is very interesting.

I think they meant KTWO on the first call mentioned (KKTO).

I know this is speculation right now by should this Gray/Legacy WY deal gets the greenlight, could Gray replace KOTA's signals on KSGW & KNEP for KTWO's?

This would make total sense if you ask me.

Wouldn't Sinclair's NTV have a case for the Nebraska Panhandle as well? Or have they conceded it to Gray?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...