Gray Television - General Thread

The Frog

We have a NEW M&A tonight. Gray is bulking up in Wyoming.

Gray will acquire Mark III's KGWL/KGWR for $15.7M ($15,716,667). KGWC will be spun-off to an indie buyer.

Legacy Broadcasting will acquire Silverton's KTWO (and its sats) for $1.5M. Plus they'll be getting the Wyomedia stations (including KFNB) for $3.28M ($3,283,333). Legacy is claiming KFNB as the fifth-largest rated station in Casper, and its MeTV LP station KYWF-LD as the fourth largest.

• Like 1

Gray will acquire Mark III's KGWL/KGWR for $15.7M ($15,716,667). KGWC will be spun-off to an indie buyer.

Legacy Broadcasting will acquire Silverton's KTWO (and its sats) for $1.5M. Plus they'll be getting the Wyomedia stations (including KFNB) for $3.28M ($3,283,333). Legacy is claiming KFNB as the fifth-largest rated station in Casper, and its MeTV LP station KYWF-LD as the fourth largest.

Interesting that KGWC is being spun off. I imagine there is going to be some network shuffling of some sort. And who will want KGWC, arguably one of the CBS network's worst affiliates?

• Like 1

I have literally no idea what's going to happen with the affiliations. Gotta admit, television in Wyoming is kind of a mess as is, and some of that's simply because of the DMA lines.

Is Gray really going to try and jam CBS, ABC and Fox onto KCWY subs in Casper?

As for Cheyenne (and Scottsbluff), that, as you said, is a mess because they'll probably try to put Fox on KGWN/KSTF and ABC as well on the former.

They really need a 2nd stick in each market for this, you would think.

So, Me-TV beats Fox? Am I reading that right?

Look under transaction description to either KFNB or KTWO.

Interesting that KGWC is being spun off. I imagine there is going to be some network shuffling of some sort. And who will want KGWC, arguably one of the CBS network's worst affiliates?

All Gray is going to do is move CBS stream to a sub of KCWY. Or didn't they already bought some LPs in that market?

• Like 1

I have literally no idea what's going to happen with the affiliations. Gotta admit, television in Wyoming is kind of a mess as is, and some of that's simply because of the DMA lines.

Ok cool...

But I see that as a growth market with all the people getting the hell out of CA.

Now can your growth in population translate into growth for your OTA signals and other "platforms'. Will viewer erosion take a bigger toll?

Are those stations all dogs???

Or is there some hidden gems there?

For all that Gray has in that region, they don't have a single station in Montana.

Didn't they own KTVH for a hot minute between Sunbelt/Intermountain West and Cordillera?

I think they're frozen out of Montana unless they can get their hands on Cordillera or Cowles. Both groups fit Gray's profile well and the latter has zero conflicts.

• Like 4

So KGWC is being dumped on a non profit.

It appears likely that one of the satellites will become the new KGWC. Read this article:

http://k2radio.com/caspers-channel-13-to-purchase-cbs-affiliate-kgwc/

As per RabbitEars, Gray has an application to build a LD station on RF 36 in Casper, KSBF-LD. They are seeking permission to build the station at 1,792’ 15kW.

EDIT: Click here to see the signal contours of the current KGWC & KSBF-LD

• Like 1

I posted in the Speculatron last week that KGWC was going to lose CBS, not knowing this was going to happen. Their affiliation agreement is up in June. When Gray signed a new deal for its CBS affiliates last year, and when they started buying LPs around Casper, I had a feeling it was curtains for KGWC. Mark Nalbone is making out like a bandit.

• Like 1

I posted in the Speculatron last week that KGWC was going to lose CBS, not knowing this was going to happen. Their affiliation agreement is up in June. When Gray signed a new deal for its CBS affiliates last year, and when they started buying LPs around Casper, I had a feeling it was curtains for KGWC. Mark Nalbone is making out like a bandit.

Using RabbitEars as my reference, Gray purchased:

• K16JI-D RF 16 -326' 12.6kW
  • K18JQ-D RF 18 -326' 2.3kW

These appear to be fill-in translators serving the immediate Casper area.

The one I mentioned earlier today, KSBF-LD RF 36 1,792' 15kW, is apparently being constructed to be the "new" KGWC. When the dust settles in Casper, I can see the following:

• The current, soon to be donated, RF 14, starts their new programming with a new call sign mapping to PSIP 36
  • The under construction RF 36 signs on as KGWC, PSIP 14, CBS programming
  • OTA viewers in the Casper area get the proverbial rescan advisory and number to call and complain

• Like 1

That sounds like Gray.

Yep! It appears that KGWC will meet the fate of KFXF, KJCT, WAGT, WIFR, KSPR, KXJB, KVTV > KYLX, & WFXS > WZAW, down on their luck full power stations rescued by Gray and converted to low power status in order to avoid possible closure and satisfy FCC regulations.

Will Legacy Broadcasting continue to run these Wyoming stations as is? The reason why I'm asking is that if you review their profile, all their stations were picked up from a Gray garage sale and are now running that H&I, or some other, junk.

Will Legacy Broadcasting continue to run these Wyoming stations as is? The reason why I'm asking is that if you review their profile, all their stations were picked up from a Gray garage sale and are now running that H&I, or some other, junk.

There was an operating relationship between KTWO and KGWC and KLWY/KFNB. All these stations are being acquired.

The same sort of DMA mess that characterizes this region is spreading. I have no idea what the end product is. What is clear is that there will be only one company producing TV newscasts in Wyoming. Gray and Legacy will be the only companies owning commercial TV stations licensed to Wyoming.

• Like 1

There was an operating relationship between KTWO and KGWC and KLWY/KFNB. All these stations are being acquired.

The same sort of DMA mess that characterizes this region is spreading. I have no idea what the end product is. What is clear is that there will be only one company producing TV newscasts in Wyoming. Gray and Legacy will be the only companies owning commercial TV stations licensed to Wyoming.

Legacy is just a speculator as well?

Yep! It appears that KGWC will meet the fate of KFXF, KJCT, WAGT, WIFR, KSPR, KXJB, KVTV > KYLX, & WFXS > WZAW, down on their luck full power station rescued by Gray and converted to low power status in order to avoid possible closure and satisfy FCC regulations.

WIFR was not shut down for FCC reasons, it was because they sold the spectrum and there was little loss in downsizing to a LD signal due to the small footprint of the Rockford market.

Legacy is just a speculator as well?

Legacy has bought Gray stations as a minority group before. They typically run them with a few subchannels.

Their four existing stations (and two satellites) are

KHME/KQME Rapid City (KOTA)

KMLU Monroe, LA (KAQY)

KNHL Hastings, NE (KHAS)

KNDB/KNDM Bismarck (KNDX/KXND)

They will almost certainly be run with subs. The structure of network services, especially ABC and Fox, is in doubt. More to the point, KTWO's news operation may be at risk of being axed.

Since we're talking about television on Wyoming, I made this color coded map showing which TV market each county is currently assigned.

Key:

Red = Cheyenne DMA 197

Green = Casper DMA 198

Orange = Denver DMA 17

Blue = Rapid City DMA 170

Purple = Billings DMA 167

Gold = Idaho Falls DMA 162

Pink = Salt Lake City DMA 30

723127823_WyomingTVMarkets.png.964e8d6797e45a5ff95d055b0ff2a1a0.png

The reason I made this is to see whether the Cheyenne and Casper should merge to create one Wyoming centric market. I just wonder if it's feasible for the Denver market counties to be annexed to create such a market.

Don't get me started on Sheridan County being an exclave of the Rapid City DMA, or that the Cheyenne is an emclave of the Denver DMA.

• Like 2

Since we're talking about television on Wyoming, I made this color coded map showing which TV market each county is currently assigned.

Key:

Red = Cheyenne DMA 197

Green = Casper DMA 198

Orange = Denver DMA 17

Blue = Rapid City DMA 170

Purple = Billings DMA 167

Gold = Idaho Falls DMA 162

Pink = Salt Lake City DMA 30

[ATTACH=full]5468[/ATTACH]

The reason I made this is to see whether the Cheyenne and Casper should merge to create one Wyoming centric market. I just wonder if it's feasible for the Denver market counties to be annexed to create such a market.

Don't get me started on Sheridan County being an exclave of the Rapid City DMA, or that the Cheyenne is an emclave of the Denver DMA.

My opinion is that the DMAs should be:

* Denver counties in SE Wyoming --> Cheyenne

* Salt Lake counties in SW Wyoming --> Casper (Gray has set precedence there with KGWR)

* Denver counties in NE Wyoming --> Casper

* Teton County is OK in Idaho Falls, while the northern counties in Billings are okay there (Sheridan should join them)

* Crook and Weston are OK in Rapid City