Gray Television - General Thread

The Frog

• 1 month later...

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/111131/gray-creating-fargo-duopoly-with-kcpm-buy

And here we go again with Gray. This time they're buying KCPM in Fargo, to create a duopoly with KVLY (NBC). They also have a LPTV CBS affiliate, which leads me to believe that they may place CBS and CW on this signal and bump MNTV to another sub. Didn't know where to post this at so I posted it here.

They also say that they'll be selecting new call letters for the station? Could it become KXJB?

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/111131/gray-creating-fargo-duopoly-with-kcpm-buy

And here we go again with Gray. This time they're buying KCPM in Fargo, to create a duopoly with KVLY (NBC).

It's a good buy and will definitely easily get a failing station waiver; the former ownership literally kept it on the air with duct tape and dental floss and put zero effort into tech and station presentation (and it's mostly been playing FCC keep-away with long silent periods).

The sale shouldn't have even been needed in the first place though; remember, they had KXJB but the then-strict FCC then had them sell it off to become a subchannel machine under other ownership. But in any case, Retro TV is dead in North Dakota the moment Gray takes over.

• Like 1

And here we go again with Gray. This time they're buying KCPM in Fargo, to create a duopoly with KVLY (NBC). They also have a LPTV CBS affiliate, which leads me to believe that they may place CBS and CW on this signal and bump MNTV to DT3. Didn't know where to post this at so I posted it here.

They also say that they'll be selecting new call letters for the station? Could it become KXJB?

It could even give The CW its own main signal too.

Question: Will this lead Gray to eventually purchase KCPO-LP too and make it a sister station to KSFY?

The sale shouldn't have even been needed in the first place though; remember, they had KXJB but the then-strict FCC then had them sell it off to become a subchannel machine under other ownership. But in any case, Retro TV is dead in North Dakota the moment Gray takes over.

Agreed. Basically Gray is doing now what they couldn't do during Tom Wheeler's commissionership.

Quite possibly. I would have to imagine this station would have a much better signal than the LP currently carrying the KXJB calls; I bet the CBS affiliation and KXJB calls will move to the new station and the LP will change its calls to something else, and that'll probably be where The CW ends up.

• Like 2

It's a good buy and will definitely easily get a failing station waiver; the former ownership literally kept it on the air with duct tape and dental floss and put zero effort into tech and station presentation (and it's mostly been playing FCC keep-away with long silent periods).

Agreed. Basically Gray is doing now what they couldn't do during Tom Wheeler's commissionership.

Yep. They're clearly taking advantage of Pai's new ownership rules that went in effect last Wednesday. The elimination of the "eight-voices test" have made it easier for these groups to acquire a second (non top-4) full-power station in these smaller markets, without a need to request a "failed station waiver".

Expect to see more deals like this in the coming days & weeks........

• Like 1

It's been cable only for the most part since 2010(?)

• Like 3

Could we see this be the setup?

27.1: CBS

27.2: CW

27.3: MNT

This is one possibility I could see.

That'd be a good one. Maybe call the station "KX 9" after the Charter cable slot or even "KX 2" for the 2 in 27. I just think that if CBS does go on Channel 27, then it needs a new nickname because "KX 4" will be no good anymore (since KRDK took it).

• Like 4

That'd be a good one. Maybe call the station "KX 9" after the Charter cable slot or even "KX 2" for the 2 in 27. I just think that if CBS does go on Channel 27, then it needs a new nickname because "KX 4" will be no good anymore (since KRDK took it).

KX 7 for the 7 in 27 would be good as well. Bonus points if they can get the cable providers to place them on channel 7 to match that.

• Like 1

Hilton Howell and Co would be fools not to get that and make a duo from those two stations.

Hilton Howell III isn't to be underestimated. Everyone here talks about how ruthless Nexstar's Perry Sook and the Sinclair execs are, but nobody here talks about how ruthless Hilton Howell III can be. Much like Sook, he also pinches as many pennies as he can if it doesn't benefit him.

For instance, WRDW-TV is getting a brand new building in the next year or so. There's talk that it's going to have a helipad (they don't even have a helicopter) and a putting green... and that wasn't anything they requested, that's what Hilton apparently wants at the new property. He might also be getting an office in the new building, even though they're two hours away from Gray HQ.

The man has a Caribbean tan in the dead of winter and has injected his face with so much botox nobody knows how old he actually is. He's an interesting CEO...

• Like 3

Hilton Howell III isn't to be underestimated. Everyone here talks about how ruthless Nexstar's Perry Sook and the Sinclair execs are, but nobody here talks about how ruthless Hilton Howell III can be. Much like Sook, he also pinches as many pennies as he can if it doesn't benefit him.

For instance, WRDW-TV is getting a brand new building in the next year or so. There's talk that it's going to have a helipad (they don't even have a helicopter) and a putting green... and that wasn't anything they requested, that's what Hilton apparently wants at the new property. He might also be getting an office in the new building, even though they're two hours away from Gray HQ.

The man has a Caribbean tan in the dead of winter and has injected his face with so much botox nobody knows how old he actually is. He's an interesting CEO...

I didn't know that about him but, Gray stations are really good and do excellently well. Plus, I live in a Gray market now with WCJB.

• Like 1

https://licensing.fcc.gov/cdbs/CDBS_Attachment/getattachment.jsp?appn=101778549&qnum=5120&copynum=1&exhcnum=1

$255,000

I would say gray will rebrand KX4 as CBS27, under catamount KXJB was known as CBS4 and CBS35 in the Grand Forks part of the market although CBS 35 was on the air only for a couple years till Hoak pulled that plug

• Like 6

Since the chances of Gray getting a station in Atlanta is near zero, WRDW may be their de facto flagship...

• Like 1

He is just like his father Thurston Howell III . His father was quite the survivor and so was his mom. I was always amazed at how both of them could pack so much into such small suitcases.

His Mom and Dad are still missed...and fondly remembered to this day.

• Like 3

He is just like his father Thurston Howell III . His father was quite the survivor and so was his mom. I was always amazed at how both of them could pack so much into such small suitcases.

His Mom and Dad are still missed...and fondly remembered to this day.

You make jokes now, but wait until he keeps gobbling up station groups like Nexstar and Sinclair have done. Just you watch.

You make jokes now, but wait until he keeps gobbling up station groups like Nexstar and Sinclair have done. Just you watch.

I don't really see much that he can get. I mean sure, just about more people than I can count on this board has mentioned Graycom happening, but what if Raycom chooses to merge with Meredith? It's highly unlikely Gray will be able to afford Tegna (this has seriously been speculated on at least two websites, as well as on here), Hearst and any of the other big groups. Gray will probably get some of those small family chains but not much. I highly doubt we'll see Gray buying Hearst, Meredith, Scripps, Tegna, Cox etc.

I don't really see much that he can get. I mean sure, just about more people than I can count on this board has mentioned Graycom happening, but what if Raycom chooses to merge with Meredith? It's highly unlikely Gray will be able to afford Tegna (this has seriously been speculated on at least two websites, as well as on here), Hearst and any of the other big groups. Gray will probably get some of those small family chains but not much. I highly doubt we'll see Gray buying Hearst, Meredith, Scripps, Tegna, Cox etc.

And yet they did manage to gobble up Schurz which doubled their portfolio. I'm just telling you what I've heard on the inside, Hilton is in a buying mood and watch out.

• Like 1

And yet they did manage to gobble up Schurz which doubled their portfolio. I'm just telling you what I've heard on the inside, Hilton is in a buying mood and watch out.

I don't doubt that they are. However, they have managed to be better than the other station groups. If you had to ask me would I rather have Gray or Sinclair in my market (and I do live in a market with a locally-owned station that manages to dominate over Raycom and Nexstar, even on it's CW-affiliated duopoly partner, which still manages to beat a Comcorp-turned Marshall/Nexstar Fox affiliate in the ratings.), I would definitely go running towards Gray. I do think that Gray made a mistake not selling off WSBT (and they could have found another owner rather than Sinclair imo.) to keep WNDU but I don't have much gripes about Schurz.

We shouldn't complain about Gray too much because there are 42 stations right now that wish that they could be heading to Gray at this moment.

Since the chances of Gray getting a station in Atlanta is near zero, WRDW may be their de facto flagship...

You got that right, Atlanta is DMA 9 while the largest Gray station, WVLT, is in DMA 61. If Howell wants a station closer to Atlanta, give Morris Multimedia a call, they have WMGT, NBC Macon, DMA 120. BTW, Morris' largest station is in Lexington, KY, DMA 63, where a confilct would exist. Excluding Lexington, all other Morris stations are in DMAs under 90.

Paperwork is up. Purchase price is $255K. The sale does not include KCPO-LP.

I think they'll come back later for that one. I can feel it. They're probably going to use it for the CW signal when they do and put that surplus syndicated programming inventory KCPO has on an LD2 signal with a subchannel network (MeTV, AntennaTV, H&I) filling the rest of the time.