Gray Television - General Thread

The Frog

In section 5.1(b) of the asset purchase agreement, it says they plan to seek a waiver.

Why would they say that they're seeking a waiver, when in many cases a failed waiver request on the paperwork, would already been made. That I don't understand.

The current rules wouldn't allow common ownership for WFXU & WCTV because both station's contours overlap.

Are they're banking on Pai to change the duopoly rules so they won't have to file for a failed waiver? That alone would be very gutsy. They should've attached the waiver request in the paperwork anyway, and not play the waiting change. Because a change may not even happen.

Why would they say that they're seeking a waiver, when in many cases a failed waiver request on the paperwork, would already been made. That I don't understand.

The current rules wouldn't allow common ownership for WFXU & WCTV because both station's contours overlap.

Are they're banking on Pai to change the duopoly rules so they won't have to file for a failed waiver? That alone would be very gutsy. They should've attached the waiver request in the paperwork anyway, and not play the waiting change. Because a change may not even happen.

Yeah, I was scratching my head. They can buy the -CD, but WFXU itself would not work.

I bet we see a lot more of these "failed waivers" in various forms.

It's a "slippery transmitter tower ladder" (slope) that is just ripe for abuse.

Something tells me there will be many stations "about to fail" in the very near future.

• 2 weeks later...
Gray is VERY fast at updating websites - the deal isn't even closed yet, but WCAX has the Gray layout.

It probably helps that they don't make mega-deals so they can quickly design them and make the switch.

Which probably means Gray is already operating WCAX under agreement, as was the case in the Diversified acquisitions.

• Like 1

can someone please tell me how to make these maps? I can't figure out how to use that site

• Like 1

I have a question. This is regarding KNEP NBC Scottsbluff. When did they change their virtual channel from 4.2 to 2.1?

ppFjjNh.png

Everything is right on this ID except KNEP and KCHY because I think KCHY still simulcasts KCWY-DT while KNEP should be 4.2, not 2.1. KOTA is on 4.1

It's also weird that the flagship of this multi-simulcast is KNEP thinking that it should be KSTF 10.2 instead since its licensed to Scottsbluff.

• Like 3

Everything is right on this ID except KNEP and KCHY because I think KCHY still simulcasts KCWY-DT while KNEP should be 4.2, not 2.1. KOTA is on 4.1

It's also weird that the flagship of this multi-simulcast is KNEP thinking that it should be KSTF 10.2 instead since its licensed to Scottsbluff.

It seems as well it is the first time that Scottsbluff has had its own news operation for far western Nebraska? The DMA lines definitely need to be redrawn in that area - I'd put ALL of Nebraska outside of the Omaha metro into a single DMA. Heck, Gray has created such a tangled web in the Plains that you could argue that the whole region is one market with at least 6 "sub-markets".

It seems as well it is the first time that Scottsbluff has had its own news operation for far western Nebraska? The DMA lines definitely need to be redrawn in that area - I'd put ALL of Nebraska outside of the Omaha metro into a single DMA. Heck, Gray has created such a tangled web in the Plains that you could argue that the whole region is one market with at least 6 "sub-markets".

KSTF used to have news programs, later changed to inserts and eventually phased out. So this is not a "new" service historically speaking.

Scottsbluff viewers get a KGWN satellite, a KNOP satellite, and a KOTA satellite, plus the Nebraska PBS state network. Fox is not available OTA but KLWY claims Scottsbluff. That is essentially its own market.

Yeah, we need a redraw of the DMAs here.

• Like 1

Now we await Gray's next move...there are at least a dozen stations I can see that they would be interested in. Problem is that acquiring them is slow as they don't have the money for a blockbuster.

I would just sit back and wait.

Let Sinclair test waters...and spend their money. The real race is going to be between those groups that can wait it out .

Sinclair has a 50/50 shot.

Here's something interesting I saw recently. I did a TV query on Parkersburg, WV and found that Gray has a construction permit for what appears to be (on paper, at least) a WDTV translator in Parkersburg. Is Gray trying to replace WIYE with a WDTV translator for the market's CBS affiliate, possibly clearing up WIYE for an ABC affiliation? It's very interesting considering the Parkersburg and Clarksburg markets were supposed to be one large market in the late 50's.

• Like 4

Here's something interesting I saw recently. I did a TV query on Parkersburg, WV and found that Gray has a construction permit for what appears to be (on paper, at least) a WDTV translator in Parkersburg. Is Gray trying to replace WIYE with a WDTV translator for the market's CBS affiliate, possibly clearing up WIYE for an ABC affiliation? It's very interesting considering the Parkersburg and Clarksburg markets were supposed to be one large market in the late 50's.

It won't happen. That's a DTV replacement translator application that was filed back in 2009, long before Gray took over. The permit expired in 2013, although the FCC suspended the permit deadlines for LPTVs due to the incentive auction (although I'm not sure if that also applied to DTV replacement translators). Also, the coverage area for the translator is much smaller than WIYE's, and it's on VHF 2, which means the reception would be bad.

• Like 1

It won't happen. That's a DTV replacement translator application that was filed back in 2009, long before Gray took over. The permit expired in 2013, although the FCC suspended the permit deadlines for LPTVs due to the incentive auction (although I'm not sure if that also applied to DTV replacement translators). Also, the coverage area for the translator is much smaller than WIYE's, and it's on VHF 2, which means the reception would be bad.

Unless they have big outdoor antennas on their roofs.

• Like 1

Given that the area is quite hilly with large valleys, having its transmitter on VHF 2 is not as bad as you would think, since it would penetrate into the valleys a lot better. Although having it on VHF-high would be best in that case.

• Like 2

KSTF used to have news programs, later changed to inserts and eventually phased out. So this is not a "new" service historically speaking.

Scottsbluff viewers get a KGWN satellite, a KNOP satellite, and a KOTA satellite, plus the Nebraska PBS state network. Fox is not available OTA but KLWY claims Scottsbluff. That is essentially its own market.

Yeah, we need a redraw of the DMAs here.

KSTF had separate news programs, as stated, but the effectively died in the 90s. Can't forget that KDUH (predecessor to KNEP) had local news through the early 2000s - with KOTA newscasts gradually phased in. The last full local newscasts on KDUH were at noon, but were titled KOTA territory news (just have to find the DVD to see if it mentioned Scottsbluff in the title).

Plus I giggle when you notice that Gray effectively owns the region through 3 distinct out-of-market stations they own, save PBS. I'm surprised they haven't slipped a Fox affiliation in there...

J

KSTF had separate news programs, as stated, but the effectively died in the 90s. Can't forget that KDUH (predecessor to KNEP) had local news through the early 2000s - with KOTA newscasts gradually phased in. The last full local newscasts on KDUH were at noon, but were titled KOTA territory news (just have to find the DVD to see if it mentioned Scottsbluff in the title).

Plus I giggle when you notice that Gray effectively owns the region through 3 distinct out-of-market stations they own, save PBS. I'm surprised they haven't slipped a Fox affiliation in there...

J

Since they are all different DMA's, what they did was completely legal. I believe some counties are assigned to Denver, which makes zero sense. Lots of room for a Fox affiliate, either through an extra subchannel or a low-power station.

• 1 month later...

J

Reminds me of NPG owning every station in the Yuma/El Centro area.

• 3 weeks later...