Gray Television - General Thread

The Frog

...The limitations are the paperwork mess acquiring each and every one (time consuming)...

How can the paperwork be all that time-consuming? Do they have to do it entirely by hand and in triplicate?

• Like 1

How can the paperwork be all that time-consuming? Do they have to do it entirely by hand and in triplicate?

Simple: it is a lot more time consuming at the FCC and DOJ to deal with 10 separate applications than for a single large acquisition - each one is a different order and a different process. It's not so much time consuming at Gray as it is at the FCC and DOJ.

Simple: it is a lot more time consuming at the FCC and DOJ to deal with 10 separate applications than for a single large acquisition - each one is a different order and a different process. It's not so much time consuming at Gray as it is at the FCC and DOJ.

Is that why station groups tend to be sold en masse rather than piecemeal? To make it easier for the governmental agencies? That's really weird.

• Like 1

Is that why station groups tend to be sold en masse rather than piecemeal? To make it easier for the governmental agencies? That's really weird.

Nobody likes paperwork.

This.

Add in the taxes as well.

In Albittron's case, I believe they wanted to sell the whole group together due to taxes. Which quickly led Disney to bow out since they were only really interested in WJLA. So as we all know, they ended up going to SInclair.

• 1 month later...
It appears that BOTH WABI and WCJB's respective websites, http://www.wabi.tv/ and http://www.wcjb.com/, have the Gray layout and new logos!

They've had the Gray layout before the Diversified deal closed back in May.

But WABI debuted the new logo on the webpage yesterday. No telling when WCJB debuted theirs.

[MEDIA=twitter]879770944486748162[/MEDIA]

I'll say this much: both logos are big improvements over what they had before.

No apparent music or graphics changes at either station...in fact, WABI's old logo is still present in more than a few elements.

That will likely come with time. Gray is VERY quick with updating websites though; they probably start the draft versions before the sale is even completed.

• Like 3

I was in Gainesville this past weekend. The old logo was in use on Sunday's 11pm news. By the time I woke up on Monday to see the morning update, the new logo was in place. So it's been since Monday that WCJB 20 has had a new logo.

I'll say this much: both logos are big improvements over what they had before.

No apparent music or graphics changes at either station...in fact, WABI's old logo is still present in more than a few elements.

Also see how KALB managed to get a badly needed logo revamp when Gray took control.

I'll give Gray quite a bit of credit; they manage to overhaul acquired station logos without having them look like jokes (**cough** WEWS **cough** WFXT **cough**)

• Like 2

Maybe they're positioning themselves to snatch up a network affiliation for Gainesville or Tallahassee.

Well that's a Tallahassee station first of all so there's no way it'll reach Gainesville (and it doesn't). And maybe fight for the FOX affiliation away from WTWC or take The CW affiliation from WTLF and move it there. Otherwise, no other options in my book.

Well that's a Tallahassee station first of all so there's no way it'll reach Gainesville (and it doesn't). And maybe fight for the FOX or NBC affiliation away from WTWC or take The CW affiliation from WTLF and move it there. Otherwise, no other options in my book.

Fixed.

• Like 1

If it was a failed station waiver involved, they would've stated it on the paperwork.

In section 5.1(b) of the asset purchase agreement, it says they plan to seek a waiver.

As for what Gray will do with WFXU, they'll probably use it for WCTV's MNTV subchannel. They really don't have any other option since WTXL certainly will stay with ABC, and WTWC and WTLF are probably bundled in with Sinclair's other Fox, NBC and CW affiliates.