Bill Evans Out at WABC

RealNews18

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

John Marshall subbed again last week on WCBS - he's been their go-to sub for a while now, so it's doubtful WABC would even be interested.

The strain of filling Evans' position is starting to show - last night Jeff Smith was out and the sub was Karen Rogers, who was introduced as being "on loan" from their sister station WPVI in Philadelphia.

5 hours ago, TellyGenic said:

John Marshall subbed again last week on WCBS - he's been their go-to sub for a while now, so it's doubtful WABC would even be interested.

The strain of filling Evans' position is starting to show - last night Jeff Smith was out and the sub was Karen Rogers, who was introduced as being "on loan" from their sister station WPVI in Philadelphia.

Jeff did the weekend mornings this week and Lee is filling in for Jeff tonight. They even put Karen's twitter handle on air 

Fun fact: It was an reunion of sorts as Joe Torres was working at WPVI ('92-'96) when Karen started in '96 before he went to WABC a few months later.

https://twitter.com/karenrogers6abc/status/1122313097979531264

He did say previously that he'd be returning to TV (see tweet below).  Nothing about his next job has been reported, to the best of my knowledge.  PIX's Mr. G. is almost 75, so if he retires, that could be a spot for Bill.

I think an announcement about a permanent morning weather anchor is imminent.  Last night at 11, as Lee was passing it back to Bill & Sade, he said his usual "Amy and Jeff will watching the weather this weekend" and Sade said "I almost said something, but stopped myself" to which both Lee and Bill said "don't give anything away"... what else could that have meant?  It's either going to be Jeff or Amy full time in the mornings....

On 5/11/2019 at 1:04 PM, TellyGenic said:

I think an announcement about a permanent morning weather anchor is imminent.  Last night at 11, as Lee was passing it back to Bill & Sade, he said his usual "Amy and Jeff will watching the weather this weekend" and Sade said "I almost said something, but stopped myself" to which both Lee and Bill said "don't give anything away"... what else could that have meant?  It's either going to be Jeff or Amy full time in the mornings....

Interesting, we'll have to see how it plays out.

1 hour ago, IceManNYR said:

Karen Rogers from WPVI is subbing for Amy today.

Not sure if you’ve looked over in the Philly forums, but WPVI just hired WCAU’s former morning traffic person, Jessica Boyington. She did a feature story on the morning news this week.

Karen primarily does traffic on the morning news (but does fill in on weather as she’s a meteorologist and was the weekend morning weather person before being promoted). Makes you wonder if Jessica is taking Karen’s place, and if Karen is moving to WABC.

The only places I could see Bill Evans landing are Channel 11 taking over for Mr G, probably just at 10:00 first so it doesn't look like Mr. G is being pushed out, then after a year or so G passes over the 5:00 & 6:00 reigns too. Or he can join Channel 5 in the morning being reunited with Lori on Good Day NY, letting Mike Woods keep 4:30-7 AM. Otherwise all the other stations are fully staffed.

As for Channel 7, I still say they should have gone after Sam Champion for the mornings. Like him or not, ratings would skyrocket! Sam's big return to Channel 7 just in time for sweeps. The promos write themselves!

Who knows where he’s going.. could be anywhere at this point.. could CBS This Morning add a weather personality? (Lonnie Quinn).. Could someone be leaving a station? Who knows.. The best thing would be if he did wind up on Good Day with Rosanna and Lori.. but who knows.. we’ll wait and see. The big question is who is WABC bringing on? And who will get the morning spot? 

• 3 weeks later...

Sam ain't no Bill Evans.   I actually watch 7 via an app from my home In Indianapolis.  Bill made my day.  God, I miss him!  Do like the anchors but not Sam.  

Aw, that’s nice to see him while Jeff gets some time off to spend with his son Jordan on Fathers Day. What a class act. 😊. Is he the San Francisco / KGO ABC 7 News Chief Meteorologist?

1 hour ago, Vlad said:

Is he the San Francisco / KGO ABC 7 News Chief Meteorologist?

I don't think KGO has a "chief meteorologist" these days, but he handles weekday weather at 4:00 and 6:00pm. 

Archived