Bill Evans Out at WABC

RealNews18

2 hours ago, mountainave said:

Yes and no.

Camille Edwards made it a priority to recruit minority talent to the station. The new ND might choose to prioritize other factors (or nothing at all) when choosing a new weekend meteorologist. 

Moreover, while both the new GM and new ND have been at the station for some time, neither was responsible for hiring talent in the past.  

I'm not suggesting they'll hire Miss Oklahoma to be the next meteorologist. Just pointing out that new people bring new perspectives and priorities to talent selection.  

Not sure if I posted this already but it wouldn’t be a bad idea to give Jeff the morning then maybe Amy the noon and 4? And hire 2 new meteorologists for the weekends. Expand the weather team a bit now they may have some dollars to spare with Bill gone

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I like the idea of offering Jeff the morning show and Amy the Noon and 4 sounds brilliant. Though the weekend evenings are probably more desirable from a "working hours" standpoint than waking up at the crack of dawn. Personally, I feel like Jeff is more of an evening kinda guy haha. But only Jeff knows himself more :classic_biggrin:

1 hour ago, Vlad said:

Yeah, I like the idea of offering Jeff the morning show and Amy the Noon and 4 sounds brilliant. Though the weekend evenings are probably more desirable from a "working hours" standpoint than waking up at the crack of dawn. Personally, I feel like Jeff is more of an evening kinda guy haha. But only Jeff knows himself more :classic_biggrin:

I was under the impression that Jeff and Amy work select days during the week anyway behind the scenes. not sure tho 

When Heather O'Rourke went missing in December, I thought she got the sack, then I read that she had surgery of some kind. Now Bill Evans?  I guess what they say about Disney is the truth - pretty ruthless company.  Evans announced on the December 13, 2018, broadcast that it was his 29th anniversary at WABC - such a shame. 

It looks to me like Jeff Smith already has the job, judging by this morning's broadcast - but, as others have noted, both he and Amy Freeze are very personable professionals and deserving. We'll just have to say this all shakes out.  Given his age and his seniority, Evans deserved better -as for the long commute, I would think he had a pied a terre in Manhattan,  so nertz to that assertion, in my view.  

Seems a great deal of intrigue .. and drama surrounds this A.M. broadcast in recent years. 

On 2/10/2019 at 8:47 PM, RealNews18 said:

I was under the impression that Jeff and Amy work select days during the week anyway behind the scenes. not sure tho 

They do, though they rarely get air time outside of major storms. 

5 hours ago, jonathanmike said:

When Heather O'Rourke went missing in December, I thought she got the sack, then I read that she had surgery of some kind. Now Bill Evans?  I guess what they say about Disney is the truth - pretty ruthless company.  Evans announced on the December 13, 2018, broadcast that it was his 29th anniversary at WABC - such a shame. 

It looks to me like Jeff Smith already has the job, judging by this morning's broadcast - but, as others have noted, both he and Amy Freeze are very personable professionals and deserving. We'll just have to say this all shakes out.  Given his age and his seniority, Evans deserved better -as for the long commute, I would think he had a pied a terre in Manhattan,  so nertz to that assertion, in my view.  

This isn't just a Disney thing. This is a network television-wide thing. If it's a non-amicable departure, 99 times out of 100 it's a complete vanish. 

Bill's email at the station is no longer active, so I guess he really is gone.  He was on vacation the first week he was out, so understandable, there was no goodbye.  All this must have transpired very recently, since he told me he resigned a contract renewal.

30 minutes ago, Roadgeek Adam said:

Lee Goldberg - 1996

Jeff Smith - 2007

Amy Freeze - 2011 (hired after the Heidi Jones false rape report)

Something to keep in mind, Amy is older than Jeff. 

If I recall correctly, Bill had been at WABC longer than Lee, yet Lee got the chief job and weekday evening duties when Sam left. 

3 hours ago, Colortini said:

If I remember reading it correctly,  Bill Evans wanted to keep the morning slot, however he was the chief meteorologist at the station, due to his seniority.

Lee is chief meteorologist, Bill was senior meteorologist.

7 hours ago, Colortini said:

If I remember reading it correctly,  Bill Evans wanted to keep the morning slot, however he was the chief meteorologist at the station, due to his seniority.

3 hours ago, TVNewsLover said:

Lee is chief meteorologist, Bill was senior meteorologist.

Who gets paid more?

On 2/14/2019 at 1:55 PM, GTweedy said:

Bill's email at the station is no longer active, so I guess he really is gone.  He was on vacation the first week he was out, so understandable, there was no goodbye.  All this must have transpired very recently, since he told me he resigned a contract renewal.

If he also told you there was a family emergency...

Plus moving from Connecticut all the way out to Sag Harbor 

Maybe a family member of his or new wife needs care - and WABC wasn't able to give Bill more flexibility?

Or maybe it was a conflict with the radio station ownership. His wife's shell company was listed as the owner of it - $3.9 million purchase (most of that was the value of the land) - but maybe it tripped something in Bill's contract.

https://www.rbr.com/wlng-sold-physical-therapist-buyer/

Or he just wanted more time in Sag Harbor - working part time during the week - and WABC wouldn't budge.

Either way Blll and his wife have substantial assets - he didn't blow $4mn on a station, but on a piece of land. Don't know what financing if any was used for the purchase. 

My guess is when Shirleen returns in the fall or next year from Maternity leave she will probably do only mornings to have more time with her newborn child, and the new team with the upcoming new meteorologist will take over the Noon gig. There is a posting now for a new meteorologist as well.

Weather Anchor: 
WABC-TV is looking for a dynamic meteorologist to join our Eyewitness News weather team. Successful candidates will know how to cover and win breaking weather on-air and on our digital platforms. You must understand forecasting, know the technology and be able to deliver your forecasts in a conversational and engaging style.

Responsibilities:
Preparing and executing compelling, energetic and informative weather reports
Update forecast/conditions and interact with viewers on social media
Provide extensive coverage during severe/extreme weather events

Basic Qualifications:
Dynamic presentation skills
Knowledge of WSI & Baron graphics systems and ability to build a show independently
5 years or more experience as an on-air meteorologist
Ability to work a flexible schedule
Required Education
College Degree in Meteorology required
CBM and/or NWA Seals of Approval preferred
Additional Information:
This is an AFTRA-represented position.
To apply, please log on to www.disneycareers.com and search for requisition #639294BR.

No telephone calls, please.
WABC-TV, an owned station of ABC, Inc., is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Female/Minority/Veteran/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity

• 3 weeks later...

The search is still on. I’m wondering with the way things go now a days will the new hire fill Evans spot or will they in fact promote? It will be interesting to see who they hire, if it’s a familiar face or if it’s someone totally new to us

https://www.adweek.com/tvspy/wabc-still-searching-for-bill-evans-replacement/213203

Archived