Bill Evans Out at WABC

RealNews18

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow. Hard to imagine Eyewitness News This Morning without Bill Evans. I went back and checked and they were using the talent opens that included Evans yesterday but the talent opens were gone this morning.  (Though he still appeared in a shot of the four of them at the desk at the end of a Heather O'Rourke promo that aired this morning.)

I really don’t see him being back on NYC TV. Who’s gonna hire him? Everyone is pretty much staffed and most of the meteorologists/weathercasters are pretty decent teams. It’ll be interesting to see who they bring on at WABC. Personally one thing id like to see is what WNBC does and use a diff person for the noon and 4. 

1 hour ago, mountainave said:

Tough to think of EWN This Morning without Lori or Bill.

Hard to think of Bill going back to the roots of broadcasting.

But as my Dad used to say...

"Son...The world needs (radio) board-ops too."

Certainly an end of an Era for WABC's Eyewitness News This Morning. But this happens. Life happens and nothing in life lasts forever. :(. I do wish him the best, it's just sad that a proper send-off wasn't done for him. He has really worked so hard in that and devoted 3 decades of his life for the morning show putting himself out there in the elements, doing on-location live shots. Bill was really passionate about his job and it is really such a major shame that he's just gone. But at the end of the day, one must follow their heart and if this is clearly what he wanted.

As for Eyewitness News This Morning, there will be a lot of inconsistency in the coming months and year. Especially with Shirleen expecting her second child, (she's so amazing at what she does). So I can see WABC trying to "re-invent" the show again. Honestly, to me, the show seems particularly lackluster and kinda dull and predictable. It needs some more "spicing up". So maybe these major talent changes will allow WABC to explore new options to really re-invent the show and themselves. Bill's personality really fixed that lacklusterness of the morning show. 

My concern is not that people move on but how the station handles it. I think it’s disrespectful to not have a system in place where those who are regularly on air have an opportunity to properly say goodbye. A quick celebration of their time with the station.  

On 2/7/2019 at 9:04 AM, Vlad said:

Certainly an end of an Era for WABC's Eyewitness News This Morning. But this happens. Life happens and nothing in life lasts forever. :(. I do wish him the best, it's just sad that a proper send-off wasn't done for him. He has really worked so hard in that and devoted 3 decades of his life for the morning show putting himself out there in the elements, doing on-location live shots. Bill was really passionate about his job and it is really such a major shame that he's just gone. But at the end of the day, one must follow their heart and if this is clearly what he wanted.

As for Eyewitness News This Morning, there will be a lot of inconsistency in the coming months and year. Especially with Shirleen expecting her second child, (she's so amazing at what she does). So I can see WABC trying to "re-invent" the show again. Honestly, to me, the show seems particularly lackluster and kinda dull and predictable. It needs some more "spicing up". So maybe these major talent changes will allow WABC to explore new options to really re-invent the show and themselves. Bill's personality really fixed that lacklusterness of the morning show.

Never again will we see the chemistry that there was with Lori Stokes, Bill Evans and Joe Nolan. Ken seems to get along with everyone but the chemistry between the 3 mentioned was amazing. It’s defiently going to be different now. Not that Jeff and Amy aren’t good a what they do.. they’re just different. How cool would it be to see Evans get picked up by FOX5 and have him on Good Day with Lori Stokes and Rosanna? 

I understand this is a bit earthshaking, but Jeff and Amy are most definitely personable. I don't think it is out of question that Jeff replaces Lee as Chief Meteorologist when Lee wants to retire and Amy getting the morning job where she does well on the Saturday/Sunday shows. Both have been here a long time and have wonderful personalities. 

Probably Mike Woods would be the newest weathercaster for WABC-TV's weekday morning & noon weekday newscasts, which wiill be a good thing I believe, Jeff Rossen or Amy Freeze, if the station hires a new weathercast to be for the weekend morning newscast or the weekend evenings.

8 hours ago, mooneyhill1 said:

Probably Mike Woods would be the newest weathercaster for WABC-TV's weekday morning & noon weekday newscasts, which wiill be a good thing I believe, Jeff Rossen or Amy Freeze, if the station hires a new weathercast to be for the weekend morning newscast or the weekend evenings.

Who said Mike is leaving Good Day. With Lori/Rosana and the chemistry Mike and Ines have, I don’t see him going anywhere.

12 hours ago, mooneyhill1 said:

You mean Jeff Smith.. and Amy is likely going to weekend evenings. Whoever they hire will be for weekend mornings 

12 hours ago, mooneyhill1 said:

That makes absolutely no sense. 

Anyway, WABC will likely look outside of the local NYC stations as for their next hire as they usually do for anchor positions. 

1 hour ago, wabceyewitness said:

Anyway, WABC will likely look outside of the local NYC stations as for their next hire as they usually do for anchor positions. 

Well if we wish to get precise...

WABC will post the job just like they always do,on the internet...worldwide.

All the tv agents from here to Timbuktu will send reels....actually mostly links.

So will a few thousand youtube wannabees...and a million "local tv personalities"...every pissed-off anchor in the same market...The Dixie Chicks, Psy, and all kinds of other crazy types.

Resume tapes used to pile up in offices and in corners, but now it's just serious bombardment from all directions via email and unsolicited calls.  You will hear from EVERY agent out there.

All this fun just to pick somebody who will already be part of the "ABC family"....so they will just promote within.

That will eliminate most potential headaches with social media crowd,,,and keep the nice ladies in HR happy.

12 hours ago, mountainave said:

There's also a new GM and a new ND in town, so who knows how talent decisions will be made, really.

The new GM is 20+ year veteran of Disney/ABC. The new ND was the assistant ND and prior to that, worked at WABC in senior positions for 12 years. So, not much will likely change in how the ship is steered.  

2 hours ago, wabceyewitness said:

The new GM is 20+ year veteran of Disney/ABC. The new ND was the assistant ND and prior to that, worked at WABC in senior positions for 12 years. So, not much will likely change in how the ship is steered.  

Yes and no.

Camille Edwards made it a priority to recruit minority talent to the station. The new ND might choose to prioritize other factors (or nothing at all) when choosing a new weekend meteorologist. 

Moreover, while both the new GM and new ND have been at the station for some time, neither was responsible for hiring talent in the past.  

I'm not suggesting they'll hire Miss Oklahoma to be the next meteorologist. Just pointing out that new people bring new perspectives and priorities to talent selection.  

Archived