KVEO: Goodbye NewsCenter 23, Hello Local 23 News

NewsMaster

My jaw dropped to the floor seeing this. From where they were (and it did not look pretty..I have attached a video of the stuff with their weather open before the upgrade)

I have to admit, seeing this..for the first time it seems way more polished..and that they are putting in a massive effort down there. 

Looks like they got there own set too in El Paso..Holy smokes

I doubt they are beating KGBT in the ratings. 

KGBT for those that might not know about what I was referencing about that they have their own set too in El Paso..KVEO is produced out of KTSM in El Paso and has been for nearly a decade now. In fact, It was well known that Robert Bettes was the chief met for CBS4 El Paso including during the time when KTSM managed CBS4 before they sold off to Sinclair. 

What Nexstar has done is finally separated both Bettes and Medina who were also working on KTSM's staff and now has made it to where they only show up on KVEO but they still live in El Paso. The other four reporters do live in the area and their offices are in Brownsville. KVEO also does news only at 5 and 10PM Monday-Friday (so 4PM and 9PM mountain time) and during the last hurricane it really kind of showed considering they can not stay on live. 

If they want to be taken serious, they need more reporters and more of a presence..but I honestly believe its economics of the market where it can't really support 3 English Language stations certainly when you have a very strong KTLM and KNVO. The FOX station also owned by Entravision, their news broadcasts are being produced out of Laredo as a combined FOX South Texas (Brownsville and Laredo). English language its KRGV and then KGBT by a long shot. KNVO and KTLM are very tight  (certainly with NBC really putting the funding in).

The market itself is really kind of vast and just to give some perspective..KTLM's License is in Rio Grande City. To get from there all the way down to Brownsville is over 100 miles alone. Add the fact that you have Reynosa and Matamoras on the other side of the border and honestly I can see where the dollars were not there for KVEO to continue production of a newscast locally.

4 hours ago, GoldenShine9 said:

I think they are beating KGBT in ratings now too? (Although still a long way from KRGV, or the Telemundo station there)

Not even close. Nexstar did do a great job with the graphics, but as long as the newscast is still in El Paso, they're not even going to be close to either KRGV or KGBT. Also worth noting is that KVEO only produces 2 newscasts (at 5:00 and 10:00).

Archived