KUSI Set

Bsean

Rarely do I watch KUSI, but at some point I somehow followed Good Morning San Diego on Instagram. I was scrolling through my feed and they had a pic on an interview set with a white couch (I know they've probably had this for a while). Where in the building is this set located? And why do they keep adding various elements all piecemeal instead of just getting some kind of refresh of the set, or a new set? Ugh! LOL! (And I know it's because they are cheap; I'm just mostly venting).

Screenshot_20190205-011855.png

If you’re sitting on the set facing the cameras, it’s located to the left of the studio. 

That area of the set used used to be for the Christmas carol sing alongs or if they have music artists performing before they added the interview set. It used to be a plain black wall with icicle lights.

• 1 year later...

I don't believe that KUSI has ever had a MAJOR refresh in the time that I've lived in San  Diego. They have always made minor adjustments to the set (Such as upgrading to HDTVs), but it has primarily remained the same as long as  I've known it.  Graphics have primarily remained the same as well, with minor tweaks to updated formats (HD) The logo also hasn't changed.

In short, McKinnon Broadcasting, only has the San  Diego KUSI station. They used to have a few other stations in Texas, however those were sold some time ago. They are also 100% independent, as all of the other affiliations already exist in the market. Without the draw of network programs, News and syndication are their only products. They just don't have the income to justify a new set.

9 hours ago, NotInTV said:

I don't believe that KUSI has ever had a MAJOR refresh in the time that I've lived in San  Diego. They have always made minor adjustments to the set (Such as upgrading to HDTVs), but it has primarily remained the same as long as  I've known it.  Graphics have primarily remained the same as well, with minor tweaks to updated formats (HD) The logo also hasn't changed.

In short, McKinnon Broadcasting, only has the San  Diego KUSI station. They used to have a few other stations in Texas, however those were sold some time ago. They are also 100% independent, as all of the other affiliations already exist in the market. Without the draw of network programs, News and syndication are their only products. They just don't have the income to justify a new set.

I wonder how financially sustainable KUSI will be in the long run, I still remember when they announced in the early 2000s that they were going to move into a streetside studio, the talent were giddy at the time, but that went nowhere unfortunately. Their set has not had a significant upgrade ever since their news operations were established. 

Archived