KHOU's new building

PTVNews

1 hour ago, rkolsen said:

Well atleast it’s a short walk from the newsdesk avoiding the long time meteorologists and traffic persons are “off air narrating”. 

And you would think the signage would be much bigger. 

The sign was restored and converted to LED, according to this video.

When I saw the video of the installers putting up the letters on the building, I was wondering about the tower letters.  I knew the building letters' font didn't look the same.  I would never have thought to bring them inside and suspend them from the ceiling.  Very clever.

6 hours ago, rkolsen said:

I just thought they’d be too big to fit in the building. 

I just think it's awesome that somebody thought about saving them in the first place.

So many relics of broadcasting history go into the dumpster, or get destroyed by folks that just don't know any better.

2 fins up!!!

I have to say I give the KHOU management a lot of credit for building this new building for the ground up. I know it is still sad to think about 1945 Allen Parkway but to see what they have done to rebuild from literally the brink of disaster to where they are at now nearly 2 years later, it is really impressive.

As cheap/quirky/lazy as much of the on-air product has gotten with several Tegna stations, I'm a bit surprised that they actually ponied up for KHOU to actually move and have a different spot in what looks to be a nice office building in a (definitely) better part of town, in a geographic sense.

On 2/20/2019 at 9:38 PM, east-tx-tv said:

As cheap/quirky/lazy as much of the on-air product has gotten with several Tegna stations, I'm a bit surprised that they actually ponied up for KHOU to actually move and have a different spot in what looks to be a nice office building in a (definitely) better part of town, in a geographic sense.

Their insurance probably demanded they move, seeing as the last place flooded twice in recent history, and their own meteorologists seem to be indicating that floods like that could easily happen again with future storms. There's a reason the building was demolished after they moved out.

It's worth noting the new KHOU, according to building permits, is made up of several different office "suites" within the building. Which could make it easier down the road (say, 10 years from now) to downsize the amount of space they have. I think there's a long-term reason they have a dedicated studio space in the newsroom.

Anyways, I'm sure Houston Public Media is going to enjoy having their television studios available again. I discovered that, since KHOU moved in, they've been forced to tape TV programs inside their radio performance studio. You can see the scenic and lighting for their weekly public affairs program in this photo

On 2/23/2019 at 10:16 PM, Weeters said:

It's worth noting the new KHOU, according to building permits, is made up of several different office "suites" within the building. Which could make it easier down the road (say, 10 years from now) to downsize the amount of space they have. I think there's a long-term reason they have a dedicated studio space in the new

I imagine the sheer size of the the operation required demanded different suites to be merged.  They  lucky that they all seem to be contingent. I am curious if they have a way of traversing their three floors internally or if they have to go to the elevator lobby or can use the fire stairs. But also aren’t  class a office built where the floor plans can be changed relatively easily?

What address did you use? Westheimer or Elgin? 

On 2/23/2019 at 10:16 PM, Weeters said:

Anyways, I'm sure Houston Public Media is going to enjoy having their television studios available again. I discovered that, since KHOU moved in, they've been forced to tape TV programs inside their radio performance studio. You can see the scenic and lighting for their weekly public affairs program in this photo

Im sure they made a pretty penny and maybe got some equipment out of the deal,  You mentioned they were producing out of a construction trailer.  I’m curious if there was enough space to house staff in trailers or if remote producing was considered - where only those essential would be on Houston Public Media grounds.    

• 4 weeks later...

TVNewsCheck has a story up that dives into the technical details of the new facility:

https://tvnewscheck.com/article/top-news/232356/khou-houston-is-back-better-than-ever/

Some takeaways are that the "two studios" is actually one big one with what sounds like an air wall dividing it (similar to what a hotel meeting space might have) and that the newsroom studio setup can be used for Daily Blast Live.

I kind of wonder if the studio may have just been some large conference space that already existed in the building. It's not uncommon for large businesses to have some kind of large meeting space that they can bring clients and partners in to for small conferences/product demos/training/etc. Might explain how they were able to build it out quickly.

I’m curious as to what Comcast Media Center did or contributed? As far as I know I don’t think anything they do couldn’t be replicated by the hub. Maybe fiber connectivity. 

Also nine newsroom cameras? I know aside the three in the middle.  I’m wonder where the others are in the space but it sounds like they are going with the former WNBC content center approach (does WNBC still use any of the cameras aside from one standup location for social media?)

The newsroom weather center sounds like a smart move instead of the practice of some stations leaving the weather center on set.

• 6 months later...

Random update, but it looks like they did indeed leave at least part of the set that was built at Houston Public Media. You can see the floor and the wall that was behind the anchor desk and monitor backdrop here.

Strangely enough, it looks like PBS got so used to having to shoot without their studios that they are still doing their weekly public affairs program inside the makeshift studio they set up in their big radio performance studio.

• 3 months later...

It seems to have taken them forever, but Houston Public Media has debut a new set that uses some pieces of the former KHOU set. The vertical monitors that were behind the anchor desk have been restored, and it looks like they built two new 3x3 monitor arrays on either side. 

Archived