KHOU's new building

PTVNews

Has anyone heard anything about the status of KHOU's new building/studio? I'm hearing they will start broadcasting out of the new facility next month.

What shows are they currently doing at the Avenida studio? Are most shows still coming from the PBS station?

I don’t know when but Weeters said a few weeks ago that the build out was starting. It’s located in the same building where the Saudi embassy or consulate is located which with the murder of Jamal Khashoggi is making people uncomfortable.

Fun Unrelated Fact: KHOU isn’t the only station with a consulate in their building. The NBC Tower in Chicago houses the Consulate General of India and the Consulate General of the Republic of Korea in Chicago. 

Going off building permits and other information, they seem to have completed the primary part of the build-out. The last major permit issued a few weeks ago was for installing electronic locks. I'd imagine they are probably at the point they're starting to install infrastructure and such. My guess would be March or April for on-air debut, maybe May if they want to make it a ratings stunt.

Fun fact: They used to have some sort of office (probably a small sales office for bigger clients downtown) in the same building as far back as 2014.

21 hours ago, PTVNews said:

Has anyone heard anything about the status of KHOU's new building/studio? I'm hearing they will start broadcasting out of the new facility next month.

I hope the new studio makes a big splash. I hope they flood the market with catchy promos that make waves across the bayou. 

I heard their news department is still very sensitive about being the pool camera, and some reporters have been getting lazy...

...and floating their packages.

Who’s to say that shot wasn’t a story that was covered about DFW? It mentions that they covered thousands of stories so it very easily could be a legitimate Dallas story that they’ve included in their coverage for the year. I don’t think they were trying to deceive.

I hear everyone is flushed in joy...the happiness is trickling down from management to the interns. can't wait for some streaming video depicting the rapid rebuilding , following a cascade of goodwill from the local PBS.

Time to channel surf and sea what else is on TV.

Two things:

1) I am excited to see what is to come from KHOU with the new studio. It is well deserved certainly after what happened with their old studios at Allen Parkway and the subsequent temporary home at the University of Houston. 

2) The temporary setup within Houston PBS, how much of that is going to be kept there and how much will go into the new setup?

On 2/2/2019 at 11:32 PM, rkolsen said:
The tour.

Groovy carpets aside, that looks like a nice new (and well-deserved) facility. If they will indeed offer tours when the building opens that will be cool. 

• 2 weeks later...

That's one awkwardly shaped studio. So small, the chroma wall is behind the homebase area. At least it looks like they have a window to outside.

It's neat how they worked the signage from the tower at the old place into the ceiling of the break area. 

5 minutes ago, Weeters said:

That's one awkwardly shaped studio. So small, the chroma wall is behind the homebase area. At least it looks like they have a window to outside.

It's neat how they worked the signage from the tower at the old place into the ceiling of the break area. 

Well atleast it’s a short walk from the newsdesk avoiding the long time meteorologists and traffic persons are “off air narrating”. 

And you would think the signage would be much bigger. 

Archived