New WXIA Set and Logo

rkolsen
Message added by Weeters

Please keep any and all logo mocks in the Graphics Dept. board.

I don't see what the big deal is. I'm 99% sure this is supposed to be a modern take on their old slanted 11 logo. If they used this exact logo 40 years ago, I have a hunch that every one of you in here complaining would be commenting about how amazing and wonderful it is that Tegna was reviving a "classic" and how the logo they moved off of was the worst logo that ever existed in the history of TV station logos and should have never existed to begin with.

It's an 11. It looks way better as a social media icon/app icon/etc than the old one did (which is probably the catalyst for the change.) It looks way better than any typeface would look.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, KRAP-TV said:

Did they get a new set as well? Unfortunately I can't play any of the videos on their website.

The set atleast for the morning is a smaller version of the KARE desk against the newsroom and a large vertically mounted montinor wall. 

50 minutes ago, Weeters said:

It's an 11. It looks way better as a social media icon/app icon/etc than the old one did (which is probably the catalyst for the change.) It looks way better than any typeface would look.

And WHAS adopted near the same 11 last year in a slimmer form. It does its job for me; identifies the station and more importantly, doesn't artifact hideously in a JPG/GIF form. The over-complication of logos with 3D effects, bubbling, swooshes and fake 'shine' will not be a thing I will miss about logo design in the 2000s-2010s.

8 hours ago, Weeters said:

I don't see what the big deal is. I'm 99% sure this is supposed to be a modern take on their old slanted 11 logo. If they used this exact logo 40 years ago, I have a hunch that every one of you in here complaining would be commenting about how amazing and wonderful it is that Tegna was reviving a "classic" and how the logo they moved off of was the worst logo that ever existed in the history of TV station logos and should have never existed to begin with.

It smacked of the old 11 to me too.

I'm not from Atlanta but I welcome the change. Nobody but J.C. Burns seemed to know how to use the previous logo. I know a lot of people probably grew up with the 1993 logo so I do get the difficulty of parting with it on a sentimental level, but there were real practical issues with the design that they kept blatantly dancing around.

On 1/23/2019 at 8:02 PM, TresGriffin said:

So, WXIA just unveiled a new logo and I’m not feeling it...

ED7E0FB3-EAF7-41B3-98D8-B80E63FDBC36.jpeg

Ehh...

While I still like the station logo (yes, still), I do agree the NBC peacock feels strangely placed alongside.

17 hours ago, Breaking News said:

Xia.jpg

And I won't lie, this is much better, and I do hope the logo will be amended to something like this in a few years (If not one).

The new logo is live on the website, and it looks quite (how shall I put this) low-res. And shitty.

I saw part of the set on youtube. And once again, it looks like a half hearted rush job. Particularly the newsroom view.

Color me disappointed.

1 hour ago, KRAP-TV said:

The new logo is live on the website, and it looks quite (how shall I put this) low-res. And shitty.

I saw part of the set on youtube. And once again, it looks like a half hearted rush job. Particularly the newsroom view.

Color me disappointed.

That’s just it. To me, it looks incomplete and rushed.  Also, I feel like my real gripes are the lack of serifs, the 1s are too fat and that garish color choice. 

Most people on WXIA's Facebook page that I read are pissed about the logo change, saying it conjures up bad feelings of the twin towers on 9/11. At least one person commented saying they are deleting comments.

On 1/28/2019 at 11:27 AM, KentBrockman said:

Most people on WXIA's Facebook page that I read are pissed about the logo change, saying it conjures up bad feelings of the twin towers on 9/11. At least one person commented saying they are deleting comments.

I mean......NOW I see it, but it's almost certain the thought of 9/11 never once crossed the minds of the creators. But again, the fix to this problem is simple; just add the slightest bit of serif to the tip of the 1s. Problem solved.

To be honest it’s a big stretch to think of the twin towers.  TEGNA as far as I know, despite our distaste, does A LOT of research before changes are made. I imagine the designers thought of it and that’s why it’s slanted, but there are only so many ways you can make an 11 with out using a font. 

FTVlive chimed in with the negative comments posted about the new logo.

Commenters compared it to "Fortnite", said it looked like a gas station logo, even blamed the NFC refs from the championship game for stealing it....

Heck, if WUSA can steal KUSA's "9", then can't they at least get a better "11"?

• 4 weeks later...

"Most people on WXIA's Facebook page that I read are pissed about the logo change, saying it conjures up bad feelings of the twin towers on 9/11."

"FTVlive chimed in with the negative comments posted about the new logo.

Commenters compared it to "Fortnite", said it looked like a gas station logo, even blamed the NFC refs from the championship game for stealing it...."

Wow. And I thought the negative responses here were overblown. This is sad and absurd.

11 minutes ago, Georgie56 said:

Those comments. Woof.

And the "Fortnite" comment was really obtuse.

Oops. Excuse me, but the post I meant to react to was this:

"Most people on WXIA's Facebook page that I read are pissed about the logo change, saying it conjures up bad feelings of the twin towers on 9/11."

I just forgot to quote it when writing it. So yeah, makes my reaction seem more vanilla, don't it?

• 3 weeks later...

That actually looks a lot better, honestly; I could see it working for the out-of-break NBC ID to the right of the Peacock, on anything NBC.com, and in their L3s. It certainly scales much better than the 11 towering over 'ALIVE'.

rumor has it there is a reason the peacock was omitted from the logo itself....

don't want to spoil too much....  but rumor is there were some concerns.... concerns that nbc might pull something like they did in Boston... with a station that had the for sale sign out front at the time.....

probably kicking the tv news talk beehive here...

🤭🤫

• 1 month later...

Better 11Alive logo idea... Times New Roman 11 in a circle, ALIVE (NBC peacock) to the right of the circle 11.  The current 11Alive logo is a bit of a disappointment.  Or bring back the late 80s/early 90s 11Alive logo, back when 11Alive was doing good.

On 1/24/2019 at 2:29 AM, Breaking News said:

image.png.631b82197da53c99affa5ed4754cab49.png

The first thing that comes to mind, oddly enough, is Aldi, if they had a single-color logo.  One of the big stations in a sizable market, and they go the SMH route.  Would be good to see if the station actually caves from all the reaction and tries again with another logo.

Archived